Profile for EllieTheBeeEater > Reviews

Thinkfun Swish Junior Game
Thinkfun Swish Junior Game
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars A quirky introduction to spatial reasoning!, 14 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Thinkfun Swish Junior Game (Toy)
I've been considering buying the regular (non 'junior') Swish game for a while, but decided that as my kids (6 and nearly 9) struggle with some of my other games - for example Set, which is brilliant but too tricky for them - I should play it safe.
As soon as I opened it both my kids were desperate to play it - this is unusual in itself, as my eldest does struggle with games (and especially things that involve spatial reasoning, jigsaw puzzles etc) and tends to be reluctant. I think the unusual see-through cards caught their interest - the cards are adorable.
I planned to just play through the deck as a family (rather than diving into a competitive game) but amazingly they got straight into it and were happily pointing out swishes of 2 or 3 cards. It's a testament to the game design, with the different shapes and bright colours, that the concept is easy to grasp.
Absolutely brilliant. :)

Sorted: Freedom Through Structure
Sorted: Freedom Through Structure

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice ideas, poorly executed., 14 Jun. 2016
It's a real shame that this book is not well written. The ideas are good, if in places a little unoriginal (but that is to be expected with this kind of topic - things like Marie Kondo's 'does it bring you joy' question are popular because they work!) - it's a nice system that makes sense and is simple to follow, and I did feel like it is achievable. But the writing is, for a published book, very low quality. There is a big structural problem - the book doesn't flow well and it seems to jump around and repeat a lot, and spends far too long singing the system's praises in comparison to actually explaining said system. Given a really thorough editing and proofreading, this book could be really good, but as it stands it is a let down.

Lexigo RUSH by Wiggles 3D
Lexigo RUSH by Wiggles 3D

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but lacking one thing., 22 May 2016
This review is from: Lexigo RUSH by Wiggles 3D (Toy)
Lovely game! The tiles are beautiful, really good quality and nice feel/weight. The game is easy to learn and easy to adapt too. I've used it with my kids, one of whom is not a fully fluent reader yet, and it's been brilliant to get him looking for words and thinking about spellings - it's a very adaptable game, so it's easy to make it right for the players' level, or you can just use the tiles for practise and just work together finding words. I was unsure if it'd be worth getting as surely it's just like the many other letter tile games out there - but it is different, due to the hexagonal shape (so words can be read in different directions than if it were square tiles, and just because it looks interesting!) and the fact you can use a letter more than once. So I think it is different enough to make it worth having, if you're a fan of word games.

My one little gripe is that it's not easy to store. The supposed case for the game is actually just thin plastic, the kind you'd normally throw away after opening a toy or toothbrush or whatever. It wouldn't really be portable like this as the lid would fall off without rubber bands. It's a shame, because the tiles themselves are so nice, they deserve to be in a proper container! I'll be transferring it into a decent box, but I think a fabric drawstring/zip up bag or something would be much nicer and more in keeping with the quality of the game pieces.

Thunderbirds Messenger Bag (Green)
Thunderbirds Messenger Bag (Green)
Offered by Super-fi-toys

5.0 out of 5 stars F.A.B., 20 May 2016
Lovely, good quality item - it's lasted well so far and gets lots of admiring looks! A must for any fans of the 'proper' Thunderbirds.

Pokemon Character Print Socks
Pokemon Character Print Socks
Offered by danischoice-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cute!, 20 May 2016
I bought this as a present, it was very well received - a must for any teen/adult Pokemon fan!

Disney Big Hero 6 6-in-1 Action/Pairs/Happy Famillies and Donkey Card Games
Disney Big Hero 6 6-in-1 Action/Pairs/Happy Famillies and Donkey Card Games

2.0 out of 5 stars Game play isn't very good, 20 May 2016
Not worth it sadly. We were very excited as we LOVE Big Hero Six, but the game isn't very well thought out, and feels rushed. It is similar to games like Uno, but somehow not as good with messy/unclear rules - I'd stick to 'proper' versions of those classic, stood-the-test-of-time games.
I've given it an extra star as my youngest (6) says he likes it - but even he hasn't asked to play it again, it's just stayed in a drawer, ignored in favour of other games. I'm pretty certain he just likes the pictures!

This is Not a Maths Book: A Smart Art Activity Book
This is Not a Maths Book: A Smart Art Activity Book
by Anna Weltman

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, high quality inspiration!, 16 April 2015
This book is gorgeous.
I am homeschooling my kids age 5 and 7 and I thought this would be good inspiration for my eldest in particular (still a little nervous of maths, but loves art). I'm maths-mad myself, and have fond memories of doing some of the activities in here like parabolic curves and tesselation, but this book sets it all out in a way that's much more engaging than I could provide by myself. There are also some activities that I'd never tried, so it'll be educational for all of us.
I like and use regular maths workbooks, but this is different. It's not something I'd send my daughter off by herself to work through (partly because I'd miss out!), it's a sitting-together-at-the-table type book. It goes beyond the curriculum, showing that maths really isn't just about arithmetic, and will be a great starting point for further discussion and enrichment. It's also too lovely to be rushed through, I think. It'll be better to maybe just do one activity a week and explore it fully before moving on.
I'd really recommend this to teachers too, as these activities could easily be adapted for the classroom.

Coupling: The Complete Fourth Series [DVD] (2004)
Coupling: The Complete Fourth Series [DVD] (2004)
Dvd ~ Jack Davenport
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars No Jeff? No point!, 13 July 2014
Overall I love Coupling. We've had series 1-3 for some time but recently I finally got around to ordering this final series when I saw it at a low price. I'd never watched this far when it was on TV, so beyond knowing that there's a baby on the way I didn't know what to expect and I was really looking forward to six more episodes of hilarity.
I'm glad I have it for the sake of completeness but really?! No JEFF? I feel bereft - this series I've waited so long to finally see is seriously lacking. I'd had no idea that Richard Coyle had basically decided he didn't want to typecast himself, so he left before series 4 was filmed (according to imdb anyway) - we watched the whole series expecting him to reappear.
There are a few good parts, the bond between the main five characters is still entertaining and there's some heartwarming moments too, but really it is just not the same. Oliver, who is clearly a replacement for the overexcitable, clumsy Jeff, is funny sometimes but more often just irritating because he's trying but failing to be "the new Jeff". Don't even get me started on the ridiculous fake appearance of "Jeffina" in the final episode.

It's such a shame for a brilliant show to go so suddenly downhill. A total anticlimax after the wonderful other series - I really wish they hadn't bothered, but now I can't unsee it!

Little Donkey
Little Donkey
by Eric Boswell
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Little Donkey (Sheet music)
Lovely item and good condition. Really nice to be able to play it as my children have been practising the song at school.

The Christmas Toy [DVD]
The Christmas Toy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Till
Offered by Moviemaniauk

3.0 out of 5 stars Trip down memory lane..., 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Christmas Toy [DVD] (DVD)
I remembered this from childhood and was surprised to see it so cheap. If I was seeing it for the first time now, I wouldn't rate it at all (and my children weren't impressed) but I know I loved it when I was younger! It's quite a sweet story and preschoolers might enjoy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3