Profile for EllieTheBeeEater > Reviews

Return to Oz [DVD] [1985]
Return to Oz [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Fairuza Balk

5.0 out of 5 stars Trip down a yellow-brick memory lane, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Return to Oz [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
Wow... I hadn't watched this for over ten years. I had it on video as a child, and used to watch it all the time. I finally got around to buying this and just sat entranced staring at the telly for the entire duration. It is just beautiful. Since watching it as an adult I've seen so much more to it than I noticed before - there are many more links between the real world and Oz than I thought.

Just like I remembered, it was like I'd never been without it. So if you remember liking this film, just buy it - for this price you won't be disappointed.

NB - bit scary for children in places!

Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope
Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope
Offered by Gadget Grotto

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just... WOW., 23 May 2011
I was excited about this bargain - having read the other reviews. The first thing my husband did when it arrived today was put a tiny squished fly on the slide. Yuck. But, when I looked through I was amazed! It is unbelievably clear, I've never seen so much detail apart from in a photo in an encyclopaedia.

40x magnification doesn't sound like much - compared to other microscopes which offer around 1000x. But those 'bargain' microscopes are often really poorly focused and unclear - what's the point in getting a high magnification if you can't focus it? This one might 'only' do 40x, but it does it PERFECTLY.

So, while you won't be able to use this product to look at blood cells or whatever, it is still a really useful purchase. Fantastic for aspiring bug hunters (like my husband, apparently...) - and I'm looking forward to putting flowers and leaves under it too.

Really can't recommend this enough. If you're considering introducing your child to the exciting world of microscopes, start here! Can't go wrong at this price.

Toxic Childhood: How The Modern World Is Damaging Our Children And What We Can Do About It
by Sue Palmer

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical guide to raising healthy happy kids, 25 Nov. 2010
I love this book - I often worry about the harmful effects of modern life - junk food, tv etc - and this book sets out the dangers in a logical argument. However it is not a scaremongering rant - and it doesn't suggest that the only way to avoid 'toxic childhood syndrome' is to live in a hut on an island somewhere. It provides simple and attainable ways of keeping childhood simple and safe.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2012 10:07 PM BST

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains
The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains
by Nicholas Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly interesting!, 25 Nov. 2010
I have always been a little dubious about the benefits of the internet and its effects on the brain. I was expecting this book to be more of a social commentary, or basically a rant - but it is actually really fascinating! It goes into the development of language and technology, charting the changes to society and the human brain. Really informative and thought-provoking.

Fantasia (Blu-ray + DVD, with Blu-ray Packaging)
Fantasia (Blu-ray + DVD, with Blu-ray Packaging)
Dvd ~ James Algar

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as wonderful as I remember!, 25 Nov. 2010
I am so happy this has finally been released affordably on DVD. I didn't think my preschooler would enjoy it as it's not a typical cartoon - but she sat, utterly enchanted, through the whole thing! (although we switched off before the last section, Night on Bald Mountain, as it's a bit scary.
Fantasia is just magical, it is timeless and it's also a great way of introducing classical music.

Orchard Toys Bus Stop
Orchard Toys Bus Stop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to introduce maths concepts, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Orchard Toys Bus Stop (Toy)
I bought this for my daughter as she loves buses. It is nicely presented and introduced her to the plus and minus signs, and helped her learn what they mean - much better than learning from a book or TV as it is a physical representation, it makes it real. The box says age 4+ but it wasn't too difficult for my 3 year old, I think the earlier you introduce maths in fun ways, the better!

Page: 1 | 2