Profile for ichthus > Reviews

Content by ichthus

ichthus (England)

Page: 1 | 2
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Another well-crafted book., 2 Nov 2013
Another well-crafted book in the series. Susan Hill does not shirk from the problems of the human condition and various ones are woven into each story with skill and relevance. The books can be read separately but it is best to read them in sequence in order to appreciate the character and family development. She is a writer of quality who, like P.D. James, has successfully used the detective novel as a creative medium.

The Betrayal of Trust: Simon Serrailler Book 6 (Simon Serrailler 6)
The Betrayal of Trust: Simon Serrailler Book 6 (Simon Serrailler 6)
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be negatively influenced, 14 Oct 2012
I have now read six Serrailler novels. It is beyond me why Susan Hill attracts so many negative or 'picky' reviews. Like the reviewer 'Lady Mol', I too feel the need to redress the balance. Susan Hill writes in a distinctive, literate style. Her books are thoughtful and the plots develop well, as do her characters as the series proceeds. Maybe for some they do not contain graphic violence, sadism and crudity - like those of a growing number of books in this field - but bring in real issues that will/do in some way affect us all at some point. Maybe Michael Finn is right in commenting that this book "is probably gong to have more resonance with older readers or folk who have had their lives touched by terminal illness". Having said that, one would like to think readers are capable of intelligent understanding and human feeling when being reading about the frailer side of our human nature. Of course we don't necessarily read detective novels for these reasons but everything here is so well woven together that it makes for yet another worthwhile and very readable novel from Susan Hill.

The American Civil War
The American Civil War
by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a book!, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: The American Civil War (Hardcover)
I am still working my way through this large format book as it is so full of information. Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. MacPherson is very comprehensive and one of the most recommendable books on this subject but this book is well up to the DK's standard of information and visual presentation and it is this latter aspect that helps to make it an essential purchase for those like me with a general interest in the subject.

Collected Ghost Stories (Tales of Mystery & The Supernatural)
Collected Ghost Stories (Tales of Mystery & The Supernatural)
by M. R. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic ghost stories. Shame about the cover!, 17 May 2012
Classic ghost stories from academic M R James that have stood the test of time. Read Ruth Rendell's introduction in the Vintage Classics series if you can, she is a little more eloquent than I am!
Just a note about the cover. The one currently shown on Amazon in the Wordsworth series is much more suitable and atmospheric than the one on the Wordsworth version that I was sent.
Although it still has its skull and splattered blood (!!!), there is now a hooded figure, looking like a football fan coming home in the rain having just seen his team relegated. it looks more like a cover for one of the all too numerous tacky horror novels around at the moment, which does not do M R James justice. That is the artist/designer in me speaking and in the end its the contents that count, but its still a shame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2012 12:01 PM BST

Before the Poison
Before the Poison
by Peter Robinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Before the Poison (Paperback)
Having avidly read all of the Inspector Banks novels I decided to give this a try. For some reason it stayed on my shelves for a while but when I got around to reading it, it came as a pleasing surprise. Written in Peter Robinson's usual style, which is often one of deceptive simplicity, the novel unfolded and drew me in. I found for a while that I was wondering where the storyline could go as the events around which the story centred had happened sixty years ago and nothing could change their outcome except for a possible proving of innocence. I suppose the writing is a little 'cheesy' now and then but don't let that comment prevent you from reading this book and discovering the revelations that come from out of the past.

Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Gamache)
Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Gamache)
by Louise Penny

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far?, 7 April 2012
Probably Louise Penny's best "Gamache" book to date. To appreciate it, it is best to have read the previous novel "A Brutal Telling" first - as the story continues, woven around the main plot of this book. If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you start the series from the beginning, starting with "Still Life."
These books have been for me the highlight of my detective genre reading over the last six months. Speaking personally, I can only offer praise for this series and Louise Penny's writing.

Roberts R9993 3-Band Portable Radio
Roberts R9993 3-Band Portable Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money., 8 Feb 2012
For the size and price, its battery life, sound and reception are very good. In fact I can't fault it. As my previous two got damaged, I have happily bought two more. Well worth the money!

Still Life: 1 (Chief Inspector Gamache)
Still Life: 1 (Chief Inspector Gamache)
by Louise Penny

5.0 out of 5 stars A real find, 21 Dec 2011
I am now on my seventh (sequential) book by Louise Penny in the Armand Gamache series and there is not a "dud" one amongst them. With such a high standard of creative writing from this author I suppose it is a little insulting to expect there might be a below standard book in the series.
Each one is a 'gem' of detective fiction. I'm still wondering how I managed to pass by this author for so long.
Chief Insp.Gamache is in a similar vein to Donna Leon's Brunetti but he is a certainly not a pastiche. Her writing style is very creative and pleasingly individual and the humour - not an overused aspect of the genre - is a welcome treat. The characters are so well realised that you become really involved with them as the novels progress (and they are a mixed and fascinating bunch). At the same time their village of Three Pines draws you in.
There is a sort of Brigadoon feel about Three Pines and despite the murders in the area, it is a place where one could happily go and live. There is no gratuitous violence or reliance on crudity in the novels but neither are they prudish.
Obviously, like any series of books, I can't guarantee that they will be to everyone's taste but i am sure there will be many, like me, who will get thoroughly involved, entertained and be glad they discovered Gamache, Three Pines and its inhabitants.

Dark Blood (Logan McRae, Book 6)
Dark Blood (Logan McRae, Book 6)
by Stuart MacBride

1.0 out of 5 stars Downhill, 9 Oct 2011
As humans we are a mixed bunch and what appeals to one person may not appeal to another. This book did not appeal to me. I am an avid reader and with regard to fiction, for many years I've enjoyed detective novels. I've lost count how many I've read and I'm usually on the lookout for new authors and novels. I have read three other McBride novels and felt they were 'near the knuckle' in use of questionable language and graphic description. This book for me was another step too far. Many of my detective books go to 'charity shops for recycling when read but this one - along with the three others - I have binned. The Amazon review put the idea over that this was not for people who like their crime fiction 'unchallenging' and comfortable enough not to upset the staus quo too much. The word 'challenging' itself in media terms usually means crude language and humour, excessive graphic violence and sex (often combined) and a pervading sense of darkness. (Its rather like the descriptive use of 'adult' when 'puerile' is more appropriate). Once this territory is entered, it is difficult not to go a step further (and so on) into the murkiness - and also make money out of it. Donna Leon understands this and, having strayed into that related territory once in her work, vowed not to go there again. Quite simply, it is unedifying and, I believe, the mind is sullied by this type of writing. Detective fiction can be thought-provoking, imaginative, exciting, humourous, good with character development and in the end satisfying when a mystery is solved and when justice (not revenge) is achieved. Sadly, not a few big names have also gone quite a long way down the same road. For those new to crime fiction who may be mislead into thinking this author is representative, try someone like PD James to start with - her work is crafted, literate and very readable. Many reviewers will not agree with these comments but I thought the balance needed to be redressed.

Liszt: Harmonies du Soir
Liszt: Harmonies du Soir
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasure and enjoyment., 8 Oct 2011
I am not a musician but have listened to classical music in all its variety over a span of 55 years or so. Like many people I have my preferences with regard to period and style. In terms of composers, Liszt is not prominent in my collection of music but these interpretations are beautifully and elegantly played. If this selection appeals to you, you will get find much pleasure and enjoyment in listening to this cd.

Page: 1 | 2