Profile for thenuttycook > Reviews

Content by thenuttycook

thenuttycook

Aurora World 7-inch Bongo with Heart (White)
Aurora World 7-inch Bongo with Heart (White)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressive, 8 Nov. 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I ordered this toy, to give as a return gift to the guests on my kids birthday party but when I received it, was not very happy with the purchase. It's smaller than I expected and not a great gift on its own.I had to buy something else to go with it.

Tart it Up!: Sweet and Savoury Tarts and Pies
Tart it Up!: Sweet and Savoury Tarts and Pies
by Eric Lanlard

5.0 out of 5 stars Baking lover's book!, 2 July 2012
I love baking and was eagerly waiting for this book! Not only because it is a baking book but also this is a book I was expecting to have lots of baked dessert recipes which it definitely does. This is Eric Lanlard's latest book on baking. BTW, I also own his first book Home Bake and I must say that is a fabulous book and a must have if you are into baking.

The recipes in this book of baking mostly involves some kind of pastry, the book is clearly divided in to two parts - Savoury and Sweet, and contains nearly hundred recipes including the accompaniments. The book starts off with the recipe of shortcrust pastry, which is probably the most used one in rest of the recipes listed in the book.

The book is like a box of treasures. It's difficult to choose from, as each and every one is equally tempting. To add to that There are mouth-watering photographs which will not let you close the book.

This is not a book for people who are on diet or planning to loose weight. Also I feel this is a book from where you will cook for special occasions and for someone you care for. If you plan to do a Julie and Julia project with this book and eat them all, you better keep your hospital number in speed dial. The amount of butter used in the pastry which is the base for any of the recipe in the book is just a fraction. for the filling there is similar amount of butter, double cream and sugar. Having said that, all these ingredients are key to the divine taste of the dishes.This book is definitely for the celebrations and the dinner parties you will be hosting in future and not for everyday cooking.

This is a beautifully pictured with step by step recipe given. Along with the textual description, some of the recipes have steps shown in pictures, which I thought is a huge plus point from readers perspective.

Elli and Raff Embroidered Fleece Cot Blanket
Elli and Raff Embroidered Fleece Cot Blanket
Offered by One Click Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and long lasting, 20 Jun. 2012
I have been using this blanket since my baby was born. He is now 8 months old. It's useful both at home and outside when you take your baby out for a walk. Warm, comfortable and durable, because after so many washes it still looks nice and new. Highly recommend it.

Eat Your Veg: More than a vegetarian cookbook, with vegetable recipes and feasts
by Arthur Potts Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book, 17 May 2012
Until recently I was thinking that I am going to review a cook book for vegetarians, but when I received the book from Octopus publishing group, I realized I was wrong. Eat Your Veg is a cook book for everyone. Especially, if you have small kids at home, who are not so much into their veg then this book will be a good fit to your cookbook collection.

I usually go to the veg market and pick up things I find interesting. Some times I end up wondering what to do with some of them. I think now that this book is going to rescue me when I am stuck with a boring vegetable and would like to use it for making nice dish! Beetroot is one good example! The book starts with beetroot recipes under root veg. The recipes are easy to follow and most ingredients are usually available in in your cupboards or fridge. Most of the recipes are accompanied with beautiful photos.

The author Arthur Potts Dawson has done a very claver job of presenting the regular vegetables in an attractive and inspiring manner. He categorised the vegetables among five main groups like root and tubers, bulbs and stems, leaves and flowers, fruits and fungi and finally beans and pods.Each of these categories then has a list of vegetables followed by the recipes with these vegetables as the main ingredients. I love the part where the author writes about mash. There are several pictures of making the mash step by step and then taking mash is your base and flavouring it with lots of other veg like saffron and shallot mash or parsley and dill mash.

The book contains recipes that uses egg, fish and meat but as the name of the book suggests these are not the most prominent ingredient in the dish. Vegetables are still the star of the dish and the meats or fish are there to only to enhance the flavour. There are some not so common recipes as well, like roasted sweet potato with Marshmallow and maple syrup but the book also contains some familiar recipes like butternut squash ravioli.

The best way to test this book is to go to the farmer's market and do a bucket load of shopping, then come home and find recipes from the book and try it out.

Initially I thought that the down side of this book is that it's not easy to find a particular recipe in this book as the recipes are not listed with page numbers. The quickest way to find a recipe will be looking through the index. But then, that itself is a good thing because that will make you glance through the other recipes and inspire you to experiment with different vegetables which until recently you didn't think were interesting enough!

Stevie Parle's Dock Kitchen Cookbook: Real Home Cooking from Around the World
Stevie Parle's Dock Kitchen Cookbook: Real Home Cooking from Around the World
by Stevie Parle

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Cook Book, 1 May 2012
Stevie Parle's Dock Kitchen Cookbook is a collection of recipes from around the world. The recipes are categorized according to the four seasons in the year, beginning with Spring and all the way till winter. For the people who are not aware yet, Doc Kitchen is Stevie Parle's popular restaurant in London and he is been awarded the Observer Food Monthly Young Chef of the Year 2010.

The fact I love about the book is that it is very well designed, photographed and organized. At the very beginning with the seasons are listed with page numbers, which makes the book very easy to access. A picture speaks a thousand words and that exactly most of the photos of this book are doing. The recipes are very straight forward along with beautiful food photography by Toby Glanville. The book is published by Quadrille publication.

As soon as I read that the book claims to have recipes from all around the world, the first thing I was looking for some Indian recipes and I wouldn't have guessed this one "Chaat". I also found "white chapati", "brown chapati", "Amritsari Kulcha" and then I found "Rabbit Biriyani"! I have never had or heard of it but I guess that's how innovation works! I am definitely going to try that one! The book also contains recipes from Mexico, Italy, Iran, Lebanon and many more.Now about my favourite topic : Desserts of this book! The book contains 11 ice cream recipes!! and none of them are very commonly used combinations! Now all I need is an ice cream maker to try these recipes!

In the book the author has used many ingredients in his recipes that we normally won't pick up on our weekly veg shopping. For example, elderflower in grappa batter. But that's the uniqueness of the book that you will find recipes that they will make your everyday meal a special one. If you are an experimental foodie then this is one cook book you should definitely have.

The Woman in Black
The Woman in Black
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling story, 4 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Woman in Black (Hardcover)
I recently came to know about this book by watching the promo of the movie. That was impressive so I thought let me read the book first, before I watch it on big screen. Got the book and couldn't concentrate on anything else before finishing it. Absolutely loved reading it and now looking forward to the movie. The movie might be little bit different from the book. Lets see if the movie also has the same or more chilling effect like the book.

9ct Gold Cubic Zirconia Fancy Open Stud
9ct Gold Cubic Zirconia Fancy Open Stud

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice buy, 17 Aug. 2011
I have recently bought this item and its much better than I expected. Very light and looks elegant. All stones are very much visible, bright and shiny. However I would say £209.99 is too high price for it given the fact that they are not diamonds. Thankfully I got it for less than £50 which I think is probably worth paying. The product description doesn't contain any dimensions which I was little concerned about but when saw the product I was satisfied with the size. So for people who are interested here are the dimension for you, W= 1.3cm H= 1.3cm

Ladies' Diamond Butterfly Stud Earrings, 9ct Yellow Gold, 0.06 Carat Diamond Weight, Model AME107547

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressive, 17 Aug. 2011
I recently bought this item but not impressed with its looks. The picture in the ad looks nicer than the actual product. Diamonds are almost invisible. One needs to try quite hard to locate them.

How I Cook
How I Cook
by Skye Gyngell

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a cook book, 29 Jan. 2011
This review is from: How I Cook (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading Skye Gyngell's "How I Cook" (Quadrille Publishing). It is a beautifully illustrated, well thought-out book, targeting towards making a simple family meal a memorable one. The refreshing thing about this book is that it doesn't fall into the trap of being a yet another catalogue of recipes.

The book has a relaxed, laid back summer afternoon feel. This is the kind of book you would refer to when you are not in a rush and would really want to enjoy your food with family and friends. Many of the recipes are delightfully simple and yet remarkable in their outcome. I tried her recipe for the roasted Sea bass with lemon and thyme. It took me only a few minutes to put together and it turned out beautifully. This book is also very suitable if you are cooking for any occasion or for someone special.

The book is categorised according to different themes and occasions like `Sunday lunch', `Late night supper', `Time to spare' etc. Each of these sections has recipes for all three courses so that you don't have to look elsewhere to see what starter will go with the mains you are making. The book has a wide spectrum of recipes most of them are complimented with lovely photographs by Jason Lowe. It covers from very simple recipes like cucumber sandwich to as complicated as slow cooked lamb shoulder. Along with the traditional recipes you will also find some not so widely known like Pashka (I loved the suggestion she made for this particular recipe. Read the book to find out! ). If you like spicy food like I do, then you will love her recipe for Rouile. It is simple but with absolutely delicious end product.