Profile for maximus > Reviews

Content by maximus
Top Reviewer Ranking: 248

maximus (England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Under the Skin (2013)
Under the Skin (2013)
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 21 Dec 2014
I watched this in HD on Amazon instant video.

This film dares to go, even if subtly in parts, where many other of its type would not. I am reviewing whilst trying not to give away spoilers so I apologise if some of my descriptions are figurative, but hopefully I can give you a sense of the movie. The director doesn't hold back and whilst this is not the conventional scifi alien-horror genre (the gory type, these days) it plays on your imagination as a subtext while you watch the events unfold on screen. It cuts from sleek scifi fantasy sequences to ordinary ones of crowds and individuals out and about the streets and countryside. It shows the extremes hidden behind ordinariness of some people, it flirts with some social taboos and very unforgiving in some of the events. I think those unforgiving aspects might be such that some viewers would be turned off.

With each scene of the scifi fantasy events in the story, you find out a little bit more, but it's not the sort of movie that gives you all the whys and hows it respects the audiences own intelligence and imagination, so you project some of your own ideas. However, it's not as vague as I had heard it described and in fact after some of the unfavourable reviews, I was surprised to find I was so engaged by the movie, and found it thought provoking and challenging (in a good way). There were uncomfortable sections where I could have been upset (without too much being given away, one example is the child on the beach sequences) but you have to get into a clinical mindset to get through some and "get" the film as much as is possible.

If you likes the following movies, in terms of pace and weird imagination, you will probably also like under the skin:

2001 a space odyssey,
The man who fell to earth
The hunger (1983)
Solaris

But you may be disappointed if you are expecting something like Splice, Invasion of body snatchers, Starman, Aliens, ET, ;)

Linksys E8350 Advanced Dual Band AC2400 WiFi Router with Gigabit Ethernet (1.4 Ghz Processor, 4x4 AC, USB 3.0, USB 2.0/eSATA, MU-Mimo)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and wide range, 21 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very easy to install, but you will need a laptop or desktop computer (can't install initially from android or iOS tablet) in order to set the hardware options (and find out or change the router network password/key). The range is excellent, I have a two bedroom flat which is quite long and with balcony, the wifi signal reaches all internal and external areas. The WiFi speed is very good too, it gives 74Mbps out of possible 80 that my broadband delivers. Upload speed over wifi is approximately 17Mbps. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that it isn't any faster and it's less compact than the BT broadband's latest wifi router that I tested it against, although it's reach (distance to which it works) is greater than the BT unit. So overall if you don't have a fast wide ranging router, this is pretty good as an all in home or small office network system.

Webbox Delight Cat Sticks Turkey and Lamb, 30 g, Pack of 12
Webbox Delight Cat Sticks Turkey and Lamb, 30 g, Pack of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 20 Dec 2014
This flavour/variety of the Webbox meat sticks doesn't seem to be very common in the shops, so for that reason my cat has enjoyed the novelty and really likes these ones more than the common chicken or salmon flavours.

Merrell Annex Gore-Tex, Men Low Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Merrell Stone), 8 UK (42 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars Look nice and feel great, 18 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very nice secure padding inside, with great grip and curves for long walks on various terrains. I especially like that they feel very light but at the same time your feet feel very secure and that you can confidently set off on a long walk with them. Other than usual hiking, these shoes would be great for walk-commute to work for 3-4 mile distance. I will be trying it for that as I only live 3 miles from work, save money on transport and for when roads are busy and cycling in the dark winter commute feels precarious!

Beaphar Hairball Paste for Cats 2 in 1 100 g (Pack of 2)
Beaphar Hairball Paste for Cats 2 in 1 100 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 17 Dec 2014
Each tube lasts a month (therefore good value) and my cat is big (6 kilo Siberian male) and furry. He hasn't had any hairball regurgitations since I've been giving this paste to him each day. I've used it for three months so far. He seems to like the taste as he never refuses it. I dispense 6cm into my hand and he licks it off, sometimes he takes it all in one mouthful then spends 5 minutes munching and licking his mouth. Blinks at me lots after so I think he likes it.

Edupet Cat Toy Scratchy, Silver
Edupet Cat Toy Scratchy, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and scratchy, 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My cat took to this immediately. Leapt on it, pushed the ball about, and scratched his claws into the middle pad. He doesn't knock the pompon about, doesn't seem bothered about it, but it is a nicely sprung pompon and moves about gently and for quite a while after you tap it.

No instructions necessary, the pictures on the box are self explanatory!

Philips SpeedCare Compact Steam Generator Iron GC6631/30 with 170 g Steam Boost and 1.2 Litre Water Tank, 2400 Watt, 4.5 Bar, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact and effective, 1 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Part normal iron part steam generator, so if you aren't keen on the purely steam generator systems (where there is no or little control of the sole plate heat) then this one might be for you. The iron itself is lighter than equivalent traditional steam irons because obviously the water chamber is in the base unit, so it glides nicely and easy to switch hands depending on which direction your gliding the iron.

The steam delivery needs a one off press of the steam switch for about 20 seconds before it gets going after each switch on. But beware the very first time you use it, you might get little pellets of powder (which I assume is residual hard water calcium from manufacturer testing) being "coughed" out of the base of the iron through the steam vents. I got a significant amount which had to brush off the ironing board. There was no warning about this in the instructions.

The instructions are sparse but informative enough to let you work out what you need to do, and if you are a regular steam iron user it's not much of a leap to use this. The manual does have a good set of instructions for the calc clean process.

I do like the more compact base unit in this, compared to other steam generators I have tried which are quite bulky when you need to store them away. This one doesn't take much more space than a normal large steam iron.

The steam comes out in a gentle way but it is efficient and I got rapid results with cotton shirts which are often a pain to iron.

Edupet Cat Toy Cat Center
Edupet Cat Toy Cat Center

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks the business, 27 Nov 2014
This review is from: Edupet Cat Toy Cat Center (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Looks the business! But my cat mostly only likes to play with the yellow ball and push it around and likes me to sit by him and tap the ball back to him the opposite way and he then taps it back. So in that respect it's very interactive for cat and cat parent alike. The various spikes and baffles and holes and cups around the inner circle are presumably there for texture but my cat only got interested in them when I dropped a few tiny leaves of catnip into the center section; he got his paw in and then a few bits of catnip got into the middle ring with the textures which then got him playing a bit with those. I also put a couple of tiny treat pieces into the little moulded-in cups texture and he pawed at those and got the treats out. But unless I do anything like that he just plays with the ball, which he enjoys very much. He plays with this toy more than his others at the moment.

Edupet Cat Toy Activo
Edupet Cat Toy Activo

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little toy, 27 Nov 2014
This review is from: Edupet Cat Toy Activo (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It takes a minute to assemble (no instructions since none are needed really). The only flimsy bits are the cylinder cups because they need to slot in and then you tighten them with a small twist but they don't feel entirely slotted in, though they will hold in if the toy doesn't get bashed about too much.

The cat likes it so much that even before seeing the actual toy, he saw the picture on the box and kept clawing at it to be taken out. I'm not quite sure what the cylinders are for, after the first couple of pawings he doesn't do anything with them, and I tried putting treats in ut he has big paws and can't grab them out. But he likes to sit by the unit and tip it around with his paws (like a lift from below on one side and push on the other tilting) to get the ball rolling. He worked that out after first just tapping at the ball from above. He likes me to get it moving too, so I give it a quick push to get it rotating, the ball moves around it's circular slot and then the cat jumps in and plays. The fluffy pom-pon is very tightly sprung so when you tap it, it jiggles about fast and stops shortly after.

Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan: Photoshop CC Plus Lightroom - 12-Month Licence - Key Card (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital artistry, 23 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's impossible for one person to concisely review every function of this package, it would be cumbersome reading for a start, a total novice might think it complicated to start with, and before I had started learning it I would have been a bit overwhelmed by it's full capability. However, anyone with keen interest in art, and expressing through visual projects, and wanting to use various digital platforms, this software is almost essential. You can move to creating from desktop to iPad, to laptop. At times I needed to digitise my images for further application and it's been quite frustrating dealing with the limitations of most paintbrush-like programs. The only frustration I get from this package is having to learn how to do it. But so far, everything I've imagined, is possible, and I've even learned things that had never even occurred to me.
Despite it's ever so slightly unintuitive interface I'd highly recommend this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20