Profile for S. MONCK > Reviews

Content by S. MONCK

S. MONCK "Reader Sam" (London UK)

The Preacher (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 2)
The Preacher (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 10 Sept. 2013
Predictable perpetrators and very amateur police indeed, I wouldn't use them to investigate a missing dog. No more for me.

Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Best Loved Author
Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Best Loved Author
by Maggie Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to Austen's world, 27 Nov. 2012
I found this an accessible, lively and comprehensive look at the background to Austen's novels. The illustrations support the text beautifully - it is an excellent book for dipping into a section at a time. It also functions as a reference guide to the era as it is arranged under headings like 'courtship' and 'music'. The references to the novels and to Austen's life are timely and informative - I like the occasional film and TV adaptation photos, too.

Before I Die
Before I Die
by Jenny Downham

5.0 out of 5 stars A BEAUTIFUL PAGE-TURNER, 16 July 2007
This review is from: Before I Die (Hardcover)
This book came as a great surprise to me: I was expecting a gritty and miserable read. Instead, I found myself gripped from the first page with a strong desire to find out what happens next. The writing is beautiful and compelling, but it is mainly the voice of Tess, the heroine, that kept me enthralled. Tess herself is unsentimental and uncompromising. Her take on the world is always interesting, and often amusing. She has a passionate desire to live her life to the full - and she does it. I was completely convinced by Tess's story. The book left me in tears, but also feeling uplifted and somehow more armoured against the world. I strongly recommend this book - and not just for teen or young adult readers. It was a fantastic read - and I think it will become a classic.