Profile for Philip Janssens > Reviews

Content by Philip Janssens

Philip Janssens "Philemon" (Belgium)

Weber Performer Deluxe 1481004
Weber Performer Deluxe 1481004

4.0 out of 5 stars Great BBQ but with some important durability issues, 8 Sept. 2014
I've had mine for some five summer seasons now and think it's a great product.

On the plus side, I really like the overall design, the integrated roomy side table and storage bin, the seemingly indestructible enamel kettle with built-in thermometer (*) and the excellent ash removal system.

On the downside, it does have a few major flaws, both resulting from / related to durability. Let's hope Weber will read this so they can take the appropriate action to improve their products. To be clear, I believe the Performer I have (I bought it as end-of-series early 2010 when a newer version was already out) was the first model to feature an integrated side table made from this synthetic composite material (as opposed to stainless steel which was used in the even older models), but didn't come with the built-in timer. A friend of mine has the newer version which seems to be essentially identical except for some cosmetic design changes.

While the composite material of the side table may be lighter and less prone to visible scratches or dents than stainless steel, it is unfortunately a lot less durable. Being outside 365 days a year and unprotected by the cover / exposed to the sun and rain for some good 6 to 8 months per season (we have a 'moderate sea climate' i.e. relatively mild and rather wet winters and summers), the material has obviously become undeniably porous, which has lead to two issues.

First, the table has become covered with permanent oil stains in the last 2-3 years of usage. Initially in the very first year of usage or two, I could even leave oil (or marinade, ...) rests overnight and remove them the morning after without any stain having formed. However meanwhile this is no longer the case. Today any oil drop almost immediately and irreversibly becomes a stain. I tried to work around this problem earlier this year by giving the entire surface a good rub in oil (if you can't beat'em, join'em!) but that has only helped temporarily. A few months later the rain seems to have washed away the oil rub, and older oil stains can be seen again.

Secondly and much more worryingly, at the start of this year and as a result from having lifted and moved the barbecue each time I've used it (at best 20 times per season), the plastic table broke down / cracked on both sides near the screws that fix it to the tube structure underneath. Effectively after 4 years the composite material seems to have become too 'tired' and can no longer handle the torsion forces induced by the weight of the barbecue when you lift it on one side. I find this unacceptable for a +500$ set. As a result I now have to lift and move the barbecue by grabbing the two tubes underneath, which is not impossible but cumbersome.

Lastly, I've only used the gas canister system (to ignite the charcoal) for one year. As of the 2nd year (and despite having stored the barbecue under the +50$ Weber 'heavy-duty vinyl' but disappointingly not-all-that-durable cover during the winter) the previous season's remaining gas canister had rusted into the fitting. I tried special oil to get it loose but without success. The rust effectively made it impossible to remove and replace the canister once empty, thus requiring me to replace the whole gas tube & canister fitting part and spend another +50$ (I no longer had the receipt from my purchase so Weber refused to pay for it, so I refused to buy it and am now using the Weber chimney instead).

(*) Besides, Weber, while I never use the built-in meat thermometer integrated in the kettle lid to probe my roast meat (it's covered in soot so I use a clean kitchen probe thermometer instead), I do like this older version over the new one, as the display is not flat down but standing upright, effectively enabling you to get an estimate of the temperature inside the kettle from a distance.

Weber Performer Cover
Weber Performer Cover

2.0 out of 5 stars Inferior product, 8 Sept. 2014
I admire Weber for their high quality standards in form and function, but unfortunately there are some exceptions, including this cover. My Weber Performer is outside on my terrace 365 days a year ; I use the cover during the coldest and wettest 4 to 6 months of the year. Unfortunately as of the 2nd winter some cracks have started appearing, effectively letting water through. The plastic material used is obviously NOT weather-proof in a durable way. That said, a few drops of water sipping through the cover obviously won't kill your BBQ. But for this price I would expect something better.

Targus Back Cover for New iPad 3 Compatible with Apple Smart Cover - Transparent

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad product. Looks classy but doesn't last, and way too expensive., 14 Sept. 2013
I've tried the same type of 'see-through' polycarbonate back cover from three different vendors, each time with more or less the same result: within a few months one of the corners or borders chips off, leading to a cover which is no longer tightly fixed to the iPad. These things should only cost a few pennies at best given their lifetime and given that it's a totally non-sophisticated piece of plastic. Instead they cost a (relative) fortune and only last a few months. Disgusting! I'd give it zero stars if I could...

Weber Performer Barbecue With Gas Ignition
Weber Performer Barbecue With Gas Ignition

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent barbecue but two caveats, 15 July 2013
I won't go into the greatness of this barbecue, that has been done already by the other two reviewers here. Two major caveats though:

- As of the previous version of this "Performer" model (which I have - I bought it 3 years ago but it was already end-of-series back then), Weber have replaced the stainless steel of the 'work surface' from the original version by a plastic compound. The problem with this plastic is that it is NOT impermeable to oil. So any spillage of marinades, oily substances or other should be removed immediately. Weber, if you read this, please choose a different and better material for future versions. My side table is full of oil stains. Even oil spillage that I have removed the very same evening has made lasting stains.

- The connector to the gas cannister is prone to rust. In the second year of its usage, I couldn't remove/replace the (meanwhile empty) gas cannister after I had left the barbecue outside during the winter (but protected by the appropriate Weber cover i.e. away from rain!). Weber have refused to replace the connector free of charge because I couldn't produce my original receipt, even if the problem occurred within the first year. The only solution is to replace the whole connector and cable (item reference F78788), which would cost me a whopping 65 EUR. Needless to say I'm quite disappointed. I had bought the little chimney and am now only using that system to get my charcoal going.

The Rough Guide to Andalucia
The Rough Guide to Andalucia
by Geoff Garvey

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guidebook - but maybe you want to buy separate city maps, 4 Jun. 2009
I used the new 6th edition (May 2009) and more in particular the sections on Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba and Vejer de la Frontera during 2-3 day visits to these cities/towns.

This 6th edition of the Rough Guide to Andalucia displays the usual high quality that I have come to appreciate and expect from the Rough Guide series. Comprehensive, nice to read and relevant content. Well structured, nicely laid-out. And very reliable - except for the occasional errors in the listings of restaurants.

Only minor thing that sometimes slightly disappointed me: the level of detail in the city maps for Granada, Sevilla and Cordoba. The map with tapas bars and restaurants in Sevilla is definitely sweet. However in general the magnification level didn't always allow easily navigating or finding back e.g. the recommended bars in the - admittedly - little, narrow and twisting streets of the historical city centres. On that note: the little 'Old Town' map for Sevilla only shows half of what it's really supposed to show...