Profile for JustMe > Reviews

Content by JustMe

JustMe (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Purina ONE Adult Wet Chicken & Beef Mini Fillets in Gravy, 8 x 85 g (Pack of 5)
Purina ONE Adult Wet Chicken & Beef Mini Fillets in Gravy, 8 x 85 g (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolfed down by all cats; packets a little frustrating, 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's difficult to review cat food because unless they refuse to eat it you can assume that it must have been relatively tasty.

These packs are tricky to serve as the food does not slip out of the packet easily and gets stuck in groove. This might sound fussy, but it is annoying when you feed 3 cats 4 times a day and every time you have to cut the packet open with scissors to get it all out.

Packaging frustrations aside the food was wolfed down by all 3 cats, very quickly. So it must be quite tasty as my eldest sometimes leaves a bit if it's not that yummy.

I often wonder if cats need or want such ingredients as carrots or whether they include them because humans will think it sounds appealing. Who knows?

I think the food was quite rich as I did find that when the cats went to the loo their poo smelt a lot stronger than usual (sorry but it's true!) so worth considering if you have a house cat.

It's expensive. So I would probably buy it as more of a treat than an every day food. My cats usually eat Whiskas or Felix and are strong, fit and healthy.

My main frustration would be the packaging if feeding this regularly, but other than that it seemed like a good product.

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-961 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator & Exfoliation system with 6 Extra Attachments

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic all-round device, money saving in the long run. No need to be hairy in between treatments (unlike waxing), 7 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Braun's Silk Epil epilators for about 15 years now, and in that time have only owned 3 models (the 3rd is still fine but I wanted to try this out when it was offered for free!) So despite the initial cost, which may seem high, these units REALLY do last.

ADVANTAGES to epilating in general are:

* Hair stays away for a long time, personally I find I have very little hair if I epilate about once a month.
* Painless when you get used to it, but always bearable.
* Economical, never need another wax strip or disposable razor
* Never again will you have to "grow" your hair like you do for waxing.
* Hair doesn't feel 'prickly' when it re-grows but becomes softer and finer.
* Skin remains smooth for a long time, especially when combined with exfoliating.
* No razor burn or irritation. (You may get red bumps for an hour or so, like waxing)

IMPROVEMENTS with this model:

* It's LOADS quicker than my old model. It's not just an empty marketing claim that the head is bigger etc. etc. it really does take less time to do both my legs (amazing!)
* It picks up even shorter hairs than previous models, even the tiniest stubble will be removed.
* It's wireless, which is really handy if your power points are not in convenient places, or you may want to epilate in a particular place, such as the bathroom.
* The on/off switch has to be pressed in and turned around on a dial, which stops the annoying occurrence of you switching the epilator on or off by accident (did happen a lot and can scare you if you're not ready for it to switch on!!)
* It has a mini light on it. This is so helpful for when you want to epilate but only have a dimly lit room, also helpful for trickier areas such as the bikini line.
* It looks VERY smart, with a cool shimmer/glitter on the base by the logo. I guess this isn't too important in a functional device like this, but it is good looking in case you're bothered ;)
* It's multi-functional as epilator AND shaver, stops you needing so many devices. Especially with the extra attachments.
* You can exfoliate your skin with it, reducing the risk of ingrown hairs and freshening the appearance of dull skin.
* Wet AND dry epilating / shaving. To my surprise, wet epilating does actually work! I thought that the water on your hair may stop it picking up the hairs, but it doesn't, and the warmth of a shower/bath may help to reduce any pain you experience (I can't really comment as I've been epilating so long that it doesn't even hurt any more).
* It has a blinking red light when your charge is running low. I find you have about 10 mins of epilating left after this blinks. Quite a reasonable amount. I find that on average it lasts me about 2 whole-body treatments (whole legs, underarm, bikini) before needing a charge, so I try to remember to charge it in between rather than running out part way through.

ATTACHMENTS:

* Massage head - This actually does feel quite relaxing when used on fleshier parts of the body. Does hurt a little on shin bone. May help to reduce any pain sensation for newer users. I found that it scraped my skin slightly on areas where I had to push a bit for shorter hairs, but nothing major (and it didn't hurt).
* Shaver and trimmer - I had never used an electric shaver, so it was quite a novelty to try wet shaving in the shower. It was SO much easier than using a razor head. I just applied bit of shower gel and glided the shaver head around my thighs and it was all done very quickly with no razor burn. Cheaper than using expensive shaving gel with a razor. I used the trimmer on my bikini line, which was super easy to use and trims to just one short length (but that's fine by me).
* Body contact cap - I wasn't sure about this from looking at it, as it looked like it might make hair removal more difficult but when I used it it made SUCH a big difference. I used to fear getting bits of skin stuck in the epilator when epilating my bikini line etc. (yes it did happen before OWWW!!) but this made it so much easier and I'll never have to worry about that again.
* Face cap - I had never used an epilator on my face as most of them are for body only. Given the size of the head, it was surprisingly nimble and easy to use. Obviously you cannot get near eyebrows or any areas too close to the hair on your head, but it's fine for lip and chin and surprisingly not painful at all!
* Mini brush - not an attachment but added extra which makes it easy to clean the attachment heads and base.
* Sonic exfoliation brush - sounds scary but actually does a reasonable job of smoothing skin. Given than an epilator will last you many years I guess this may wear out quicker than the rest of the unit, but I would just resort to a skin scrub or body brush if this happened.

DISADVANTAGES:

* You cannot use the unit AND charge it, so if it runs out you have to wait for it to charge. However, it does warn you with a red light that it's running low (and you have about 10 mins left - so quite reasonable).
* Could be painful initially for those of you who've shaved for years. If you've tried waxing you should be fine.
* The storage bag. It functions, ie. holds all the stuff including charger, but for the price of the product it's very cheap and nasty looking.
* Charger - requires a shaver point, or an adapter for 2 pin to UK plug socket. No big deal, cheap to buy.

SUMMARY

I can't actually recommend this enough. I've been a big fan of epilating for a long time. Nobody really wants to spend a lot of time or money on hair removal do they? So that's why I am loving this model as it makes it even quicker and easier to use thanks to the improvements mentioned above.

Vax Floors and All Base U86-PF-Be Upright Vacuum
Vax Floors and All Base U86-PF-Be Upright Vacuum

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain with great functionality for stairs and great dust mop attachment, 7 April 2015
APPEARANCE & WEIGHT

This is a very lightweight cleaner considering it's an upright full size vacuum, unlike an upright Dyson I previously used (great but bigger and quite heavy to take upstairs) and the Kirby I had been using for a couple of years (effective on pet hair but extreeemely heavy!)

You don't notice this difference in weight and size so much when living in a flat, but when you own a house with steep narrow stairs it really does play a major part in your choice of vacuum. This vacuum would be a big plus for anyone older who may struggle with the weight of a larger cleaner.

The vacuum is easily assembled from the box and once put together it looks, if I'm perfectly honest, quite cheap and tacky with its red and grey colour scheme. It seems to me to look a bit like a large version of a child's toy, but of course that may just be my opinion and I couldn't really care less what my vacuum looks like as long as it performs. It does feel a little bit flimsy too, but lightweight is what I wanted so I reserve judgement...

EASE OF USAGE

When I used the vacuum I instantly forgave its appearance because the suction was completely unexpected. It is REALLY powerful, so much so that you can see the suction on the carpet as you go along. Unlike other cleaners it seems to be equally effective on hard floors and carpets. The addition of a soft mop-like attachment for hard floors is great as I do find sometimes that you get little balls of dust and cat hair accumulating on the edges of the floor, and it can be a pain to use a crevice tool around the whole edge every time.

2-in-1 ALMOST WIRELESS!?

I really wasn't expecting one of the features this vacuum has to offer - a detachable unit which allows you to move away from the main unit without the weight and bulk of carrying the base everywhere. This is so well designed for stairs.

I've always worried about either falling down the stairs while holding a heavy vacuum to clean the stairs, or scratching the decor on the wall as I carry it up and down the stairs; so much so that we were actually considering having a main vacuum and buying an extra Dyson wireless vacuum for the stairs and the upstairs rooms. However, this is no longer a consideration now we have the Vax vacuum. I love it!

The cord is also nice and long to allow this function to work well, and to avoid changing plugs too often when going from room to room. I'm sure this detachable function will become more commonplace with other vacuums as it really is a genius idea.

EMPTYING DIRT / MAINTENANCE

The Vax has a clear waste container which I much prefer to a hidden bag, as it gives you a visual reminder of when to empty it. Also, it's quite satisfying to see the dirt appear in there and be off your floors. This is a bagless cleaner that is easy to empty straight into the bin. The only maintenance I can foresee is changing the filter after a while, which shouldn't be too expensive.

WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?

Yes! The only word of caution I would have is that we had a Vax at my place of work, and after a year or so of use, it lost most of its suction and would just push the dirt around like a broom. I am really hoping this isn't the case with this vacuum, but at least it has a 2 year warranty for peace of mind.

After receiving this vacuum to trial for free I had to look twice at the price online after using it. I definitely would not have expected this to cost less than £150 judging on its performance, but I guess Vax don't yet have the reputation to justify a high price tag yet. Let's hope it lasts!

It is such a low price, I would still recommend it and hope that the same thing does not occur with this one.

Scholl Active Work Gel Insoles for Women
Scholl Active Work Gel Insoles for Women

4.0 out of 5 stars SO comfortable in work flats. Bulks up shoes slightly, but should be fine for most., 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wearing these in your shoe is like the difference between sleeping on a sofa bed and sleeping on a proper mattress.

I recently discovered these insoles and got some for an old pair of trainers that were fine on the outside but had a very worn insole. This time I thought I'd give these work insoles a go for a pair of work flats that I have which are nice but have always been a bit uncomfortable due to there being no cushioning at all in the sole.

FITTING THE INSOLES - This is pretty simple, but not as easy as fitting the ones for my trainers, I guess because shoes are more varied in their shape than trainers are. It isn't quite so obvious which is left and which is right, so it's helpful that they are marked on the base just to double-check you've got it right (or left! ;)

I trimmed the insole down to the correct size along the line (following the guide on the packet for my size feet). You can use normal scissors without a problem. When I went to fit them in my shoe they weren't quite right, so I measured them on the old insole instead. Do ensure that you only trim a tiny bit off each time because although it seems miles out, I only needed to take a few millimetres off each one to get it right (had I guessed I'd have thought it was nearly a centimetre out and could easily have ruined the whole insole!)

The main 2 downsides to these insoles are:
1) They aren't particularly attractive. They are made from grey fleecy looking sort of fabric. I guess no one takes their shoes off much in public, but it's worth noting if this would bother you.
2) They will definitely bulk up your shoes a little bit. It wasn't a problem for my shoes as they were deep enough to still look normal, but if you have a very dainty or shallow pair of shoes these may be too thick. You definitely couldn't wear them on top of another insole, you need to remove the old one and replace with these.

COMFORT - As soon as I tested the insole I was really pleased with how much I could feel the SPRING on the heel from the shaped rubber rings in the heel and the arch support was much appreciated too, as I have a high arch and flat shoes can often cause me to strain this part of my foot if I do have to walk more than a little distance in them.

Wearing the insole for an extended period also proved better than my old one because of the material being slightly more forgiving on feet that begin to perspire. My old insoles made my feet smell a little, and these don't seem to (so far anyway!)

************

I would recommend these if you have an uncomfortable insole, or a pair of shoes that have old insoles but are in otherwise good knick.

I'm glad I tried these and will consider them for any other older pairs of shoes.

Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Women
Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Women

5.0 out of 5 stars New lease of life for old trainers, 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

THEY GIVE TRAINERS A NEW LEASE OF LIFE!

I have a pair of Nike trainers (with a foam sole, no air as they were a cheap pair I bought for exercise) that I was considering throwing away because, despite the tread on the sole still being fine they had become uncomfortable for exercise. I hadn't really thought to replace the insole until I saw these offered on Amazon Vine.

WOW! The trainers were transformed (I'm not exaggerating!) A couple of weeks ago I wore the trainers for 1 hour street dance followed straight away by 1 hour high impact aerobics (lots of jumping). With the old insoles I had sore feet by the end, and nearly developed a blister on my big toe. With the insoles I was able to continue both classes without any discomfort, pain or soreness.

FITTING THE INSOLES - This is SO easy. You just trim it down to size along the relevant guide line for your size, remove your old insole and replace with the Scholl one. Done in less than a minute for each foot. Easy peasy! Straight away you can feel the SPRING on the heel from the shaped rubber rings in the heel.

ARCH SUPPORT - I find that sometimes I can strain the arch of my foot in the wrong shoes because mine is a tiny bit higher. As soon as I put these on I could feel that my arch was supported, which is great.

************

I would recommend these even if you don't have old shoes, because if you get soreness on the soles of your feet from exercise the chances are you may need a bit more cushioning...and if you have old shoes that are still ok on the tread, check the insoles! If they are flat and worn looking, try these!

I'm glad I tried these and will consider them for any other older pairs of shoes I have that still appear to be acceptable externally.

iPhone Portable Genius
iPhone Portable Genius
by Paul McFedries

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little companion for new and experienced users alike, 15 Mar. 2015
This review is from: iPhone Portable Genius (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nifty little companion because despite being a long time iPhone user (over 4 years) I've still picked up some tips.

It's really easy to find what you need - skip to the relevant icon in the contents then scan the list of info topics. I thought this would be helpful for proper newbies who don't even know the names of the apps/icons.

It gives good advice from beginner level, how to use touch screen etc. but also shares great tips that I didn't know...

Eg. Did you know if you shake your iPhone it'll give you an option to Undo Paste? (Perhaps you didn't even know you could copy and paste text?)

I also learnt about Do not Disturb which is such a good feature that I completely ignored until now because I didn't really know what it did.

The book is humorously written - for example mentioning "thoughts of violence" towards anyone using the audible clicks for their keypad, haha!

It's slightly inaccurate at covering all iPhones from 5, 5c, 5s, 6 and 6 plus as the power button isn't in same place on all but it doesn't tell you this. However it appears to be ok for the most part, as it only really needs to discuss iOS 8 features rather than individual phones.

I'd recommend it to any curious iPhone users who want to get the most from their phone, as there are lots of helpful hints and time saving tips (even if the front cover photograph does look shockingly bad quality!)

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-561 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extras Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-561 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extras Attachments

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing all-rounder. Would not use anything else for hair removal, 3 Mar. 2015

ADVANTAGES to epilating in general are:

* Painless when you get used to it, but always bearable.
* Economical, never need another wax strip or disposable razor
* Never again will you have to "grow" your hair like you do for waxing.
* Hair doesn't feel 'prickly' when it re-grows but becomes softer and finer.

IMPROVEMENTS with this model:

ATTACHMENTS:

DISADVANTAGES:

SUMMARY

Igenix DF0006 2-Speed Portable Clip Fan 15 W - White
Igenix DF0006 2-Speed Portable Clip Fan 15 W - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device, no auto swivel but enough options for perfect positioning, 27 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really clever little device. It will clip on to pretty much any surface that is up to about 3 inches thick. The fan head itself is probably only about 15 cm across, but with 2 speeds it does deliver quite a decent breeze on the higher setting at close range.

It does not have anything fancy like a automatic swivel action when it's powered up but you can adjust the head manually to set it to the best position. It swivels through 360 degrees on the top of the clip (base of the stand) and also at the base of the head (but only in an up and down motion). You can also remove the screw at the bottom of the head to flip it round 180 degrees to face the other way. Between these 3 actions there are enough options to get a perfect positioning on your desk.

The only thing I could see limiting your positioning of this fan is the length of the cord. However, it's quite decent (approx 2 metres?) so you should have a power point or multi-plug nearby if you're working with computers etc.

For the price I think it'll be a really handy addition to my office during the summer. Not something I'd have on constantly but very nice to cool down during the hotter months when there is no breeze even with an open window.

The main down side? It definitely looks cheap. However, my office is all white with black detailing, so it just about passes the test! ;)

BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)
BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice colour, smooth writing, dries instantly - no blobs!, 27 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These pens are of the same quality as you'd typically expect from BiC. They are smooth to write with, simple design, lacking a rubber finger grip but comfortable enough to write with for a decent length of time. It's nice and slim line so easy to pop into a bag or pocket.

The colour is pretty true to what you see on the box.

When I got them I wasn't sure if it was a liquid-style ball pen or a biro-type pen. It's a biro, which I prefer. The ink dries pretty much instantly and I haven't found that it creates any wet blobs like some other annoying pens. It's also not 'scratchy' to write with, another pet hate of mine!

One very minor disadvantage to this pen is that you can't see the level of the ink, so if it's about to run out it may come as a surprise...but with 19 other pens in the box you should be OK for a while! ;)

Miele Complete C3 Celebration EcoLine Plus Hard Floor Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 4.5 Litre, 800 W, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and amazing suction. Great for hard floors and carpets., 18 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a house with steep narrow stairs and have struggled for a couple of years with a Kirby upright vacuum, having previously lived in a flat. While the actual performance was excellent the size and weight of the Kirby machine made it really difficult to clean the stairs and get upstairs to do the vacuuming without either A) hurting my back from leaning sideways to balance it and avoid falling down the stairs or B) scratching the decor on the wall. The other vacuum I did have was a Dyson, which strangely lost its suction (despite their claims…) and, although very portable, was frustratingly hard to get anything clean.

So I was delighted to receive this Miele vacuum to test (yes I must be getting old as I really was that pleased about a household appliance!!) I already own a Miele washing machine so know first hand that their good brand reputation really is warranted.

The suction that the C3 provides is amazing! If you use it on full power a rug it will try to suck it up, so luckily there is a variable suction control on the base unit, which is easily tapped to increase or decrease the suction power (you can put it on low enough to clean curtains).

It needs quick assembly but this was very easy and within 5 minutes I had it out the box and working. The stick is extendable which makes this boring task a bit easier on your back, especially if you are tall. Taking the Miele up the stairs is SO much easier than the heavy cumbersome Kirby. It's lightweight and easy to carry holding the handle in one hand and the stick/hose in the other.

I thought it was a really well thought out idea to include the accessories inside the vacuum's shell. These small accessories (brush, crevice tool etc.) are easily mislaid when you often find yourself storing the vacuum into a slightly hectic dark under stairs cupboard, and with them inside the cover they're always there when you need them, no hunting around needed. The different floor tools are separate to the machine, but certainly large enough that they're not easily lost.

Another great advantage is the length of the lead (11 metres!) You may not consider this important but I bet it does annoy you when you get half way up the stairs and have to stop to switch the power cord to an upstairs socket? (I know I used to!)

The main strength of this vacuum is hard floors, as it has a specific separate tool for parquet floors (I do not own one so cannot comment on the effectiveness of this). I find it equally as effective on my carpets though, and very easy to use. I have approx 50/50 hard floors and carpets. It's really quick and easy to do the sofas too, which is needed often with 3 cats in our household (!!)

Overall I am so pleased to have this vacuum and think the only down side I can foresee will be the cost of replacement bags & the HEPA filter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16