Profile for the realrosemonster > Reviews

Content by the realrosemo...

the realrosemonster

Mantis 7263 4-Stroke Classic Petrol Tiller
Mantis 7263 4-Stroke Classic Petrol Tiller

5.0 out of 5 stars It's simply brilliant. From being months behind schedule with having to ..., 7 May 2016
I've had an allotment on and off for the last 5 years and I really don't know how I survived before I got my Mantis Tiller. It's simply brilliant. From being months behind schedule with having to hand dig a full rod plot, I'm now comfortably looking like I may actually run out of space to plant everything! It's got a cracking little Honda engine powerful enough to cope with the heaviest of clay soils - be warned do wear gloves as it can be very jouncy and it can give you blisters if you don't. Even when it hits a rock and jams, it has a safety mechanism that stops the engine before it damages the tines or the engine itself. Then you simply turn it off and remove the rock/stone, sometimes the easiest way to do this is to remove one of the tines using the very easy method of taking out the little locking pin that keeps the tines on. It only weighs 11kg so can be easily carried, not like some cultivators/rotivator so that are nearly as back breaking to use as if you dug it all by hand. No I really can't fault it, I know it's on the high end of price for these machines but I can honestly say it's worth every penny. One of the best buys I have ever made. Would do it again in a heart beat. It's turned what used to be a source of anxiety and worry - getting my plot ready for the season - into a pleasure. I have time to do all those other jobs that have just got neglected because of spending every second on the plot with a spade in my hand. My plot may actually end up being weed free for the first season ever. Mantis thank you from the bottom of my heart... And the small of my back!

The Darkest Road (Fionavar Tapestry)
The Darkest Road (Fionavar Tapestry)
by Guy Gavriel Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars The fionavar Tapestry - beyond your wildest dreams, 7 Sept. 2007
I hunger for good fantasy and sci fi and when I get it I devour it. I feel sorry for those previous reviewers who didn't finish the book. I must admit I almost fell into that trap. When I first read this first book of the Fionavar Tapestry, the Summer Tree, I found the initial premis of 5 people being transported to another world a little... hard to swallow. My common sense just kept screaming at me - this would never happen!I also couldn't keep all the characters straight, they all seemed to be doing pointless things that made no sense. I felt very much like a child trying in vain to follow her perants conversation. I put it down in exasperation...
Then I went back to it when I ran out of books and that was the only unread book on my shelf and... oh my god... I'm so glad I did. It is without doubt THE BEST trilogy I have ever read.. and reread, and reread. (And believe me I have read quite a lot.)
That's the great thing about the Fionavar Tapestry, you can reread it time and again and still glean something more, a nuance, a twist that you missed before. Alot of the emotional stuff - especially regarding one of the main characters Paul, and his inability to grieve for his dead girlfriend - in the first book, is disjointed and doesn't gel, until you've read the whole trilogy, then gone back and reread it again. Suddenly a cosmic wow goes through your brain and the whole trilogy unlocks before you and the richness and vivacity of this tale and the pain and terrible tradgedy of its main characters takes on a whole new world of meaning, 'new avenues to sorrow' to quote Kay himself. If you thought Tigana was poiniant then I defy you to(re)read this trilogy and not be reduced to tears again and again. Especially when we meet Darrien, a soul so lost, so alone, so unsure, so 'ultimately poised bewteen light and dark', with the hardest, most important choice of all to make, of all the children in all the worlds... and all he wants is to be loved... A tradgic tapestry of a tale.