Profile for Liam2349 > Reviews

Booq Viper Hardcase for 13 inch Macbook Air - Graphite
Booq Viper Hardcase for 13 inch Macbook Air - Graphite
Offered by Booq Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for Surface Pro 3, 4 Sep 2014
The Viper Hardcase 13 is a well-designed, functional storage case that I use with my Surface Pro 3. This case isn’t actually as hard as it appeared to me in the images – it’s quite flexible but seems like it will provide decent protection if dropped.

I like the black colour and weaved design on the outside of the case, and the zippers do appear to be of high quality. The inside of the case is nice, soft and black – aside from a yellow compartment. Personally I’m not a huge fan of this colour change but it won’t deduct from my rating.

As I mentioned previously, I’m using this case not with a MacBook, but with my Surface Pro 3. Although it is a 13 inch case and the SP3 is a 12-inch device, due to the 3:2 aspect ratio, it fits very well. There is also a label inside the case which is a perfect place to store your Surface Pen – I’ll add pictures to this listing to demonstrate.

As well as the compartment for your Mac/Surface, there are two smaller compartments, and a larger yellow compartment behind them. I keep my scientific calculator in one of the smaller compartments, and papers that I receive in the yellow one.

Although not advertised for Surface Pro 3, I feel it is actually the best case for this device out of those which I have seen. It’s nice to use, appears as if it will protect it from drops and also has compartments for other, smaller devices and papers – although it doesn’t really fit a charger, nor did I expect it to. It is on the pricier side, but it has the quality to match.
Comment Comment | Permalink

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential for the Surface Pro 3, 4 Sep 2014
The Surface Pro 3 Type Cover, also referred to as the Type Cover 3 and Type Cover Pro, is the latest cover designed for the new Surface Pro 3. It comes in five colours - Red, purple, blue, black and cyan, and I purchased the black version.

Like the Type Cover 2 before it, this mechanical keyboard offers key travel that will leave you confused. The keys have a satisfying amount of travel, even though the cover is less than 5mm thick. They also have four levels of backlighting (white light) and are made from a nice, premium material, and the keyboard itself is made of a soft felt-like material.

This keyboard is bigger than its predecessor (although the keys are the same size) to cover the new, larger screen on the Pro 3, and has two huge upgrades over the Type Cover 2.

The first is the trackpad, which is now very smooth and significantly larger than before. Microsoft says this smoothness is due to it being constructed with glass beads. The trackpad can also be clicked on both sides at the bottom, for left and right click, however I feel it is mostly easier to tap for left click and two-finger-tap for right click. My only criticism with the Type Cover 2 was that the trackpad was not usable - it was made of felt, which whilst soft was not smooth, and sometimes didn't pick up my gestures. This new trackpad is a pleasure to use, and it always works.

The other upgrade is the magnetic hinge. This keyboard now connects to the bottom of the Surface with the usual magnets, but now also lifts up and magnetically attaches to the bezel at the bottom of the Pro 3. This adds a slant to the cover, like unfolding the tabs beneath a desktop keyboard, improving the typing experience, but more importantly it improves stability - meaning the device as a whole is now much more stable on your lap.

It also comes with a loop which you can optionally stick to the keyboard for pen storage, but I honestly don't think it's a good solution so I don't use it.

This keyboard is very rigid considering how thin and light it is. It has a small amount of flex, but holds very well when I type on it. I'm a touch-typist and am quite picky with my keyboards - I love this one as it allows me to touch-type pretty fast whilst on the move, and it never makes me feel restricted in what I can do.

If you have a Surface Pro 3, or are going to get one, make sure this keyboard is a part of your order.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 8GB/256GB - PS2-00001
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 8GB/256GB - PS2-00001
Offered by Tronixcomputers
Price: £1,099.95

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no portable computer I would rather own, 2 Sep 2014
When I got my Surface Pro 3, the very first thing I noticed was how light it is. I already knew that it was the thinnest and lightest Intel Core device on the market, but I didn't understand it until I held it. This device is impossibly light - even when you get it, you will be in disbelief.

Surface Pro 3 features a full-sized USB 3 port, mini display port, microSD slot, charging port and standard headphone jack. It also has volume controls on the side, an incredible kickstand, and is designed for use with Surface Pro Type Cover, which acts as a fantastic keyboard and cover for the screen.

It has connected standby, meaning that for the first four hours of sleep, you will receive notifications. The device wakes up in 2 seconds during this stage of sleep, which is very nice! After 4 hours, I believe the device hibernates.

One of the most interesting features of the SP3, for me, is that you can click the end of the pen to open One Note. It feels really natural. When you want to write, you click your pen, and put pen to paper - only this time you are putting pen to Surface, and it works really well.

Another feature of the pen is that you can double click the top button to take a screenshot, which you can then crop and add to your notes. An excerpt from a digital textbook, a website, it makes note-taking that much simpler. The whole device is a premium build, including the pen, and I think you will be very pleased when you see it.

The pen tracks amazingly well, much better than the Wacom tech used in Surface Pro 2. The pen now tracks perfectly over the entire screen, even the corners. The screen is so thin that when you write, the ink appears exactly where the nib is. Partnered with palm block - allowing you to place your palm and forearm on the screen and write without interference, this allows for a fantastic, natural writing experience.

In terms of places to store the pen, you have a few options. You do get a loop with the Type Cover Pro - which is an amazing keyboard and will get its own review - however I don't feel like the loop is a good solution. Pro 2 had a strong magnet to attach the pen to the device, and the Pro 3 pen does actually stick in a similar way, over the charging port, as long as you stick it upside down. It's alright to keep it there when you're sitting down and using the device, and you can also walk with it there. If you start shaking the device it will fall off, but I think you'll be surprised at how well it sticks. I find that for general storage, it's best to keep the pen in a case, such as the Booq Viper Hardcase 13 which is a perfect fit for this device.

The aspect ratio also adds a lot to the writing experience. Microsoft tried to mimic a pad of paper with the 3:2 display, and it's great - I believe portrait is the better mode for writing notes now. Whilst you could use Surface Pro 2 in portrait mode, it didn't feel right as the screen would be too narrow. SP3 definitely feels good in portrait, but I still find myself using it more in landscape with the kickstand when not writing.

The build of this device is fantastic. The same Magnesium style as the Pro 2, only this time it's silver. It's a strong and sturdy build, but be careful with the screen, like you should with all large tablets. The high-resolution 2160x1440 display is fantastic, and it's quite a large tablet, but I feel like this is the perfect size to provide a high quality laptop and tablet experience at the same time. Comparing it with my Pro 2, the screen is 40% larger but has 50% more pixels, so overall the display is sharper. Personally I like this size for a tablet, I feel like the 7-inch tablets are too small, and this is a nice size to hold and has plenty of screen space.

Another thing worth talking about is the kickstand, which is incredible. The two angles with the Pro 2 were so good, I was amazed when Microsoft announced a full-friction kickstand for Pro 3. You can now choose any angle for the kickstand, from 22-150 degrees, so you can choose virtually any angle you need, greatly improving usability. The Type Cover Pro now also magnetically attaches to the screen, providing lift to the top edge of the keyboard to improve the typing experience, and this also greatly enhances stability on your lap.

Battery life is a bit better than Pro 2, and it does depend on how you use it. Microsoft claims 9 hours of web browsing and it seems appropriate if you use IE. The charger is nice, and the brick is smaller than the one on the Pro 2 charger. You can still charge a device, such as your phone, through the USB port located on the power brick.

The SP3 is quiet most of the time. When I'm browsing, there's no fan activity, and the only time I've heard the fan is when updating Windows. I haven't got around to using it for anything heavier yet, as I'm on my holidays from uni, but I expect the fan to come on with heavy workloads like it would with other devices. However, compared to other devices, this fan isn't very loud.

The Surface Pro 3 comes in five configurations, which differ quite a bit in price. The entry-level model contains an i3, 64GB SSD and 4GB RAM. The main thing to watch out for with this model is storage, as 64GB isn't much, and that's not counting the space Windows takes up. You can use microSD cards to expand storage, but running software from SD cards is not optimal, as the SSD is far, far faster.

The models go all the way up to an i7 with a 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM. Personally I purchased an i5, 256GB SSD with 8GB RAM and I am very happy with it. Microsoft do offer a student discount on this device, which is 10%, and saved me a little over £100.
You will of course see performance differences going from i3 to i7 and they have price differences to reflect this - I feel like an i5 version is a good middle-ground, and I think a 128GB SSD is minimum for a laptop replacement really.

This device is very different to a traditional laptop. Who is it aimed at? As a Physics student, I feel it fits me perfectly. The pen is amazing for doing all my math work in tablet mode, and I can make spreadsheets and use MATLAB with the keyboard on the desktop. For me, this is far easier than carrying notebooks, textbooks AND a laptop - it all adds up in weight and takes a lot of space. Now I just carry this, which weighs nothing and takes up very little space.

So, why should you buy Surface Pro 3 instead of a laptop? There are plenty of laptops that will give you better gaming performance, but they are also bulky, loud and heavy. Surface is intended to encourage productivity. This isn't a gaming device. Sure, you can play some low-end games, but it's not really meant for that. It's supposed to be used to take notes in lectures, capture your thoughts in the night, be there to create word documents, play about in Photoshop, manipulate matrices in MATLAB, browse the web - it's supposed to condense your laptop and tablet into one amazing package, and if that's what you're looking for, there is no better device to take on that role, and there is no portable computer I would rather own.

Update: I've added some of my own images to this Amazon page to show what the device looks like, and to show more clearly how the Type Cover Pro attaches to the screen.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 2:48 PM BST

Edwin Jagger Knurled Handle De Safety Razor - De89Kn14Bl Razor By
Edwin Jagger Knurled Handle De Safety Razor - De89Kn14Bl Razor By
Offered by FGP Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars A great razor for wet shaving, 27 July 2014
Notice - Edwin Jagger mailed me this item for reviewing.

I've had some trouble with safety razors in the past. No matter how hard I tried, I would always end my shave in blood. Perhaps it's my technique, but a hardware upgrade can still help you to reduce those cuts.

Since using this razor, I've had some great shaves - successful, clean and without cuts. I think the main reason this razor has reduced my bloodshed is because of the way the head tapers off.

With my last razor, the head was rounded. The edges of the head, where the blade protrudes, formed a curve. This made it difficult to find an angle and keep it consistent.

With this new razor from Edwin Jagger, the top of the razor tapers into a point, guiding you into a great angle for shaving. Due to this, you can simply press the razor against your skin and always get the same angle. It's a small, but very valuable feature.

The grip is another thing I love about this device. It is neatly knurled and provides a lot of friction - the last thing you want is a loose razor!

The razor is balanced quite well and is only slightly top-heavy, and carries an excellent weight with it.

To switch blades simply grip the razor and screw off the head. Blades are easily inserted. The thing to watch out for, however, is removing blades.
When the blades are in the razor, they stick out on all sides, meaning you cannot unscrew it with your fingers without cutting yourself. So when removing the blade, it's important to grip the head with a towel for safety from the blade. Considering the fact that this happens with Edwin Jaggers' own blades, I feel they should have foreseen this and it appears to be a simply-fixed issue.

Given that the razor is great in all other aspects, I am willing to look past this and can highly recommend it for your shaving purposes. It's a well-built product and looks like it will last.

Stanley Heavy Duty Staple Gun     0-TR150HL
Stanley Heavy Duty Staple Gun 0-TR150HL

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, but poor handle lock, 18 Jun 2014
I purchased this to replace my Tacwise Z1-140, as I needed to fire staples larger than the Z1-140 could handle.

This stapler is fantastic as it takes staples ranging from 6 to 14mm, and has a slider which allows you to increase or decrease the depth of the staple in the workpiece.

Staples are loaded quite simply, by pulling up the end of the staple loader, inserting the staples, pushing the loader against them and clicking it back into position.

The build is high quality, consisting of almost all aluminium, and looks like it will stand up to strong abuse. The only bits of plastic I can see are the handle (reinforced with aluminium), the depth slider and one end of the staple loader.

The handle has a lock on it, but it's not great. The handle locks by pressing it until it comes within range of a metal clip, and hooking the clip onto it. This prevents the handle from springing out, to allow easier storage, but does not prevent the gun from firing. Therefore, this could be a safety concern. It also does not have a belt clip, which is quite a useful feature for staple guns.

If the lock actually prevented the gun from firing, I would rate this at 5 stars.

Bahco 808050L Ratchet Screwdriver and Bits with LED Lights
Bahco 808050L Ratchet Screwdriver and Bits with LED Lights
Offered by Caulfield Industrial

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality screwdriver that is built to last, 16 Jun 2014
I am used to the profile of Wera Kraftform screwdrivers and thought this would be a step back in terms of comfort, but that is not the case. The screwdriver is very comfortable and the rubber allows for a solid grip - it fits my hand quite well.

The collar at the base of the shaft can be rotated to change the ratchet direction, or to disable ratcheting. Personally, I don't use the ratcheting functionality.

The light is activated by pushing the button once - there is no need to hold it. The two bright lights do a great job of lighting up the screw due to having a light on each side of the shaft, to eliminate dark spots.

The internal bit storage can be removed by squeezing two bits of orange plastic on either side of the handle, and the storage case will pop out. Inside, you will find PH1, PH2, PZ1, PZ2, SL 4.5 and SL 5.5 screwdriver bits of good quality. These can be inserted into the magnetic bit holder at the end of the screwdriver.

This offering from Bahco is a quality screwdriver that is built to last, and it is a great screwdriver to own.

Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best high end gaming CPU for the money, 7 Jun 2014
This review is for people considering this CPU for their gaming PC.

The i5-4670k is an amazing piece of hardware. I've been trying to build a gaming PC to handle my favourite games, but it's taken me three attempts to get it right.

I decided to purchase this, along with the Gigabyte Z97X-SLI motherboard, and it's a great combo. My previous CPU was an AMD FX-8320, which was incapable of keeping BF4 running stable, and would constantly fluctuate between 22 and 45FPS - a very annoying experience. With this i5, I have managed to not only maintain a minimum frame rate above 60FPS, but I have also increased some of the settings, to the point where I am almost on full ultra.

I have achieved this with a Gigabyte HD7870 OC graphics card, which is the same GPU I used with the FX-8320.
My performance on PlanetSide 2 also increased significantly, and Watch Dogs, which would turn into a slideshow when driving, became completely playable.

Then I decided to overclock. I didn't change any voltages, and I am using a Noctua NH-D14 to keep my CPU temperatures under control. I went up to 4GHz before I started to have throttling problems due to high temperatures - but an i5-4670k at 4GHz is an absolute beast.

I can post benchmarks all day, but here's the bottom line: If you want to play high end games, like Battlefield 4, PlanetSide 2, Watch Dogs and Arma, and you want them to run well, consistently, you REQUIRE an Intel CPU.

I've had a couple of AMD CPUs now, and for the price, they aren't bad, but - none of them can compete with an i5 in gaming performance. If you want the smoothest gaming experience possible, get a good i5, such as this.

NOTES on i5 vs i7: Comparing this to the i7-4770k, if you are looking for gaming performance, the i7 will give you no advantage. Hyperthreading sometimes gives an extra 1FPS, and sometimes it gives you 1 less. Hyperthreading doesn't really work in games, and I can't recommend an i7 for gaming when this i5 will give you equal performance. If you are looking for more than gaming performance, then hyperthreading can help you out. In gaming, hyperthreading does nothing - and that is the only real difference between i5 and i7.

NOTES ON OVERCLOCKING: The 'k' at the end of the model number means that the CPU is 'unlocked'. This means it can be overclocked. So the i5-4670 cannot be overclocked, but the i5-4670k can. Considering the minimal price difference, go for this unlocked version in case you decide to overclock.

In summary - The best high end gaming CPU for the money = i5-4670k. No CPU will give you better gaming performance. You can buy an i7, but you will see no benefit in GAMING.

Authentic RDX Leather Gel Weight lifting Fitness Training Gloves Gym Workout Black
Offered by B2Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 May 2014
I've had 2 pairs of these now. I kept the first pair for a whole year, and replaced them as the padding had worn. I waited a bit too long and probably should have replaced them sooner.

These gloves fit my hands very well and strap tightly and securely. Not once have the straps come loose when lifting.

They are very comfortable to wear and they are manufactured to a high standard, seams don't dig into your hands like they do on cheaper gloves - these gloves have no such problems.

The fingerless design allows you to easily use things such as a mobile phone in my case, to control the music I listen to while lifting weights, whilst still providing full protection for your palms.

The gloves provide a suitable amount of padding which protects your hands when lifting heavy, and the padding transfers a solid grip to the barbell/dumbbell. I also wear these when I do my chin ups and have no issues gripping the bar, and they prevent pain from my hands losing grip on the bar when I get to the end of my set of chin ups.

In terms of how breathable these gloves are, the palm is leather and not very breathable, but the back is quite stretchy and fairly breathable.

I highly recommend these gloves to anyone who is currently, or would like to get into, strength training and bodybuilding.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 5:49 AM BST

Microsoft Surface PRO / Surface Pro 2 Soft Sleeve / Case by MetricUSA All Black outside / Red inside with Interior pocket.
Offered by Metric Products (Private) Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly, 21 May 2014
Fits my Surface Pro 2 with Type Cover 2 attached, with space in the pouch for sheets of paper. It also fits with the stylus attached to the magnetic port and provides protection whilst carrying it about.

simplehuman - 6 litre, round pedal bin, black plastic - 5 year warranty
simplehuman - 6 litre, round pedal bin, black plastic - 5 year warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality bin, 21 May 2014
I bought this because my last bin didn't have a lid, and I wanted to cover the trash. This is very easy to use with the pedal to open up the bin, and carrier bags fit into it to use as bin bags.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6