Profile for mammoth > Reviews

Content by mammoth

mammoth

Page: 1 | 2
Merrell Intercept, Men Low Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Moth Brown), 12 UK (47 EU)
Merrell Intercept, Men Low Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Moth Brown), 12 UK (47 EU)
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'd expect from Merrell, 28 Jun. 2014
I am a 12, ordered a 12 and they fit perfectly. Ridiculously comfortable and have decent arch support too. Love them.

Anker® 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need one, choose this one., 28 Jun. 2014
With the sheer amount of USB gadgets around these days it's sometimes difficult to discern the high quality ones from the cheaply made, potentially dangerous pieces of junk. Thankfully Anker have proven themselves to me twice now (my first Anker purchase was a portable charger) because this thing oozes quality. It's got a very reassuring weight to it and feels absolutely solid. With 8 amps between 5 ports you're going to get a reasonable charge time even if you're using them all simultaneously too. If you need one, get this one.

StarTech 4 port PCI 1394a FireWire Adapter Card - 3 External 1 Internal
StarTech 4 port PCI 1394a FireWire Adapter Card - 3 External 1 Internal
Offered by mopodo-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars TI chip works perfectly with soundcard, 27 April 2014
I bought this specific card as it has a TI chip on and that is a recommendation for a MOTU 8PRE soundcard. It's been working perfectly for a couple of months and was nice and cheap.

Hi-Tec Men's Falcon Wp Hiking Boot
Hi-Tec Men's Falcon Wp Hiking Boot
Price: £28.95 - £80.00

1.0 out of 5 stars not waterproof, 27 April 2014
I'm so disappointed and a bit embarrassed to be writing this review, since it is not the 1st time I've been misled over manufacturer claims and user reviews regarding waterproofing. These boots are NOT waterproof, despite the reviews you might read.

I bought these for a weekend away in South Wales. On our way to Cwmcarn we stopped to have a walk around Usk Castle. It was a semi-wet Friday and the short grass at the castle was a bit wet, nothing more than that. At first I noticed that the water was beading off the front of my boot and not soaking in, but within 10 minutes the water began soaking through. 10 minutes later I had wet feet. This was not some kind of extreme weather or stomping around in huge puddles, it was walking through short wet grass.

On the upside, they are very comfortable and fit perfectly. If only they lived up to Hi-Tec's waterproofing claims then I'd be very happy with them. As they are though, they're useless. I'm still looking for a pair of reasonably priced non-leather waterproof hiking boots. I'll keep looking...

Gigabyte Z87-D3HP Motherboard (Socket 1150, Z87 Express, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, Haswell, Supports 4thGeneration IntelCore Processors, GIGABYTE UEFI Dual BIOS)
Offered by AVIDES u.k.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid board, 25 Nov. 2013
I've had in this my new PC for over 2 months and it has behaved perfectly. There is not much more I can say about it, for a budget motherboard Gigabyte is still your best bet - and this board is a shining example of budget quality.

I am running a 4670K on it with 8GB Avexir 1600mhz RAM, a 600w seasonic PSU, a 120GB SSD and an old PCI M-Audio 24/96 soundcard.

Karrimor Mens Bodmin Mid 3 Weathertite Trekking and Hiking Boots K603-LMK Light Mink 12 UK, 46 EU, 13 US
Offered by Yeomans Outdoor Leisure

1.0 out of 5 stars Not in any way waterproof., 6 Oct. 2013
I bought these for a 1 night camping trip in Matlock. On the Sunday morning we went for a walk through the fields around Cromford. It was sunny and it hadn't rained the previous day, but there was dew on the grass. Within half an hour my left foot started to feel cold and I couldn't tell if it was wet or not. Half an hour later both feet were absolutely sodden. How can Karrimor call these boots waterproof when a bit of grass dew is enough to get through them? Ridiculous.

I'm going to have to return them, which is disappointing because they were extremely comfortable compared to some other boots I've owned.

SYMA X1 BEE JET UFO 4CH 4-AXIS 2.4GHZ RC LCD GYRO AIRCRAFT QUADCOPTER HELICOPTER
Price: £24.99 - £34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you thought the Syma S107G was fun, you ain't seen nothing yet!, 16 Dec. 2012
If you're into radio controlled helicopters then the X1 is a no brainer, it's more fun than anyone can rightfully expect to have for less than £30. I first got one in October for my brother's birthday present, and for the first few days we flew it around the kitchen and living room. The thing is, unlike the S107G, once you've got the hang of it it's really meant to be flown outside. When you take it outside you'll realise its real value. Because it's RF instead of Infrared the range on it is huge, somewhere near 70 metres, and it's really stable in low winds as well.

The controls take some getting used to. My brother is a pro with it now, but I'm still getting the hang of it. Thankfully it's very well built. The arms are made of carbon fibre and whilst it's been crashed hundreds of times (sometimes from quite high up) there is no signs of any serious damage yet. The battery lasts about 8 or 9 minutes before it needs recharging, so if you're wanting to take it down to your local playing fields or whatever I would recommend getting some spare batteries. I got mine from banggood.com for about £2.50 each.

I can't recommend this toy enough, so much so that I've now bought one for myself as well. Just amazing.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that mobile phone masts really hinder the range of flight. On 2 fields I've taken this to there are mobile masts in the vicinity (ie within 100-200 metres) and the flight distance is reduced to somewhere near 20 metres. On another field with no mast in sight (can barely get a H signal on my phone) the range is massive, about 100 metres. I wasn't aware that mobile masts transmitted anything near 2400mhz but there is a definite correlation between proximity to a mast and flight range. The further away the better!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2013 4:11 AM BST

Cooler Master Elite 120 Advance - Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Computer Case, supports standard ATX PSU - Black, USB 3.0
Offered by UKStocked

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 21 Oct. 2012
SilverStone screwed me by asking 75 EUR for a replacement PSU in my SG05 case. The case and PSU were only about £85 to begin with. So instead of doing that I thought hell, I can buy a whole new case and PSU for that price, if only I can find a Mini ITX case that is compatible with full size ATX PSUs.

My choices were Fractal Designs Node 304, Lian Li PC-V352 or this Cooler Master Elite 120. Being the cheapest option by quite a long way, and having some good reviews despite being new to the market I decided to go for it. I wasn't expecting a case with a premium feel, but I have been very pleasantly surprised.

There is absolutely nothing budget about the way this case looks or feels, it is in my opinion exceptional value for money. It has 2 case fans (one at the front, and one on the side at the back closest to the CPU), comes with all the screws you could need, a beeper, cable ties, enough trays and attachments for 3 HDDs, and for all those PC builders out there with hands made of paper you'll be pleased to know that the insides of the case are completely burr free. They even sprayed the inside of the case black, it looks very cool. Comparing this to my SilverStone SG05, the build quality and attention to detail on this is far better.

My only gripe would be that one (or maybe both) of the fans are a little loud. I might see about replacing them in the future with something quieter. I haven't put a GPU in this yet, but it's evident that it would be a tight fit.

I would give this 5 stars if the fans were quieter. For less than £40 this case comes highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2012 2:28 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a great toy, but the quality dropped when the price did., 22 Sept. 2012
I bought one of these a year ago from a shop in town, but it's knackered now and when I saw the price had dropped so much I decided to get myself a new one. The helicopter is still great, but there are a few differences to the S107G that I bought last year.

Most importantly, the throttle lever is no longer spring loaded. It used to snap back down to zero when you let go, but now it stays where you leave it. It wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that occasionally the rotors still spin when you slide the lever to zero. You have to nudge it sometimes to dis-engage altogether. Having said that, without the spring you can do something cool that you couldn't before - if you find the sweet spot where it hovers in mid-air you can put the remote down on the table and the heli will just hover in the air on its own. I'm easily pleased I guess.

The other difference is that the USB cable for charging now has a different connector at the helicopter end. It used to be a hollow metal pin (think Nokia charger) but now it's a weird little plastic block. Also the remote now has a connector so you can charge the helicopter from the remote instead of from a PC if you wish.

The last change is the remote, my new one only channels 2 channels (A and B). My old remote had 3 channels, and for some reason my old spring loaded remote doesn't work with the new helicopter on any channel.

On the upside, the helicopter is still a dream to fly. On still days I can fly it out of my bedroom window and take it down, through the back garden and into the kitchen. It's a hell of a lot of fun and for £13 I would highly recommend that everybody has one. I've already bought another 2 for my mates birthday presents and will probably get more for other people too if the price stays the same.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2012 8:20 PM BST

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB Sim Free Smartphone
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB Sim Free Smartphone

3.0 out of 5 stars Faulty on Arrival, 22 Sept. 2012
Ordered Friday and my phone arrived 9am Saturday (today). Bought for £279 with free shipping. Unfortunately it's faulty, the LCD is constantly flickering, random pixels and smudges are floating around the screen and it's occasionally turning off and on. Going to have to return it. I'll probably buy another because I know the phone to be good, but I wonder how this one got past the QC team because from the second I turned it on it was obvious there was a serious problem with it.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2012 4:09 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2