Profile for Sockymon > Reviews

Offered by GO PROOF

4.0 out of 5 stars In Control, 18 July 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pocket sized gaming pad for when those 'soft' on-screen pads just won't cut the mustard. The build quality is pretty good and the pad/stick should withstand many hours of prolonged used. The recommended app helps you to find which games are compatible on the Play store (not loads, but a growing number - including arcade-style games from Sega, which need a proper controller). The device runs on 2 AAAs and they don't add a lot of weight to the handset. Synchronising over Bluetooth is easy and the ability to move through menus on the game selection screen has been thoughtfully included.

Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Slate
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Slate

3.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate, 18 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been a big fan of using pedometers to track my walking habits for quite a while, so this struck me as being a more advanced version of the same thing. In some ways it is, but in other ways it's a case of the technology not quite being as well developed as I'd perhaps like. The pack itself comes with the main sensor, two different sized wrist bands and a charging cable. The whole kit feels sturdy and more than capable of enduring 24/7 use. I only had a chance to use the Android app for this, so I can't comment on other formats as to whether they work any differently. I charged the unit over night and popped the wrist band on the next morning, so as to get a full day's use out of it. The app is well laid out, though the diet tracker only has a US database, not a UK one, so a lot of the foods that I would expect to find there were absent. After a few days of use, the stats were showing as roughly in line with what I'd expect for my activity levels. Night time use was interesting as it confirmed that I was having interrupted sleep, shown by how active I was when I should have been at rest. However, once or twice I forgot to put on the wrist band and when I synced the app, I was told that I'd been active on those days. The unit had been stationary, next to my bed, so why this would be the case, I don't know. Maybe a software update would fix this, but until then, I might go back to my tried and trusted pedometer instead.

Pure Jongo S3 Wireless speaker with WiFi and Bluetooth - Black
Pure Jongo S3 Wireless speaker with WiFi and Bluetooth - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Hardware, Poor Software, 26 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this speaker(s) in order to use my Android phones and tablets with it. Unfortunately, whilst the hardware itself is pretty good, the Android apps don't work very well with my tablet (Gingerbread) or my phone (Jelly Bean). The recommended app is clunky and freezes quite often. When it does work, using the separate (not integrated) Bluetooth dongle, the sound quality is fine but I couldn't get the speaker to connect consistently using Wi-Fi. In addition the overall build quality of the unit is good, which you'd probably expect coming from Pure, and looks great on a shelf with no messy wires on show. There may be higher priced offerings from the Sonos range out there, but if you're using Android devices it might be worth trying them out. I haven't been able to test these using iOS devices, but from other reviews here, it looks like they work together much better and have better apps to support them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2014 10:18 AM BST

Life After Death: Eighteen Years on Death Row
Life After Death: Eighteen Years on Death Row
by Damien Echols

3.0 out of 5 stars Freeing the WM3, 19 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a follower of the wrongly imprisoned WM3 story since the days of my old Geocities blog, which was decorated in "Free the West Memphis 3" banners. This book recycles a fair amount to existing material from the writings of Damien Echols, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but for anyone already familiar with these - there isn't much here to warrant the extra space on their bookshelf. The writing style is `warts and all' so whilst some people may be comfortable with the way Damien recounts his thoughts and feelings, they may not may pleasant reading for everyone. This is the story of a corrupt legal system and hardship faced by its victims, from the lips of a man who, whilst history may have vindicated him and his co-prisoners, will never get those years back. Dark in places, but always captivating.

Sony BDPS4100 Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (discontinued by manufacturer)
Sony BDPS4100 Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu Ray Player, 19 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose this Blu Ray player as I wanted to upgrade from my previous, entry level Sony player. Enclosed in the box is the player, a remote and nothing else. If you want to add wireless support via a dongle or if you haven't got a HDMI cable laying around the place, then you'll need to buy those separately.

The unit is surprisingly small, very slim line with a slight angular top to it. The remote control is no bigger than an iPhone, but the buttons themselves aren't overly cramped on the device. Play back for Blu Rays and DVDs are both excellent and though the subtleties of upscaling are beyond my eye's abilities to accurately gauge (I'm no AV expert) the images appear sharp and vibrant with no discernable motion blurring. I don't have a 3D TV so I haven't been able to test 3D films.

The online services are a nice bonus, but they won't be my main use for the player. Lovefim, iPlayer, Demand 5 and all the major OnDemand services are represented here. I connected online with a LAN cable and found the streaming to be very good, with acceptable loading times and good quality video.

Sushi Slim
Sushi Slim
by Makiko Sano

4.0 out of 5 stars Sushi and Healthy Too!, 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sushi Slim (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like sushi, though I will admit that my clumsy knife skills mean that whenever I've made it in the past, it can be a bit hit and miss as to how well it turns out. This book pushes sushi as a healthy food option, which is true - since it's mostly fish and vegetables it's a low fat diet anyway. However, I was less interested in the healthy elements of the meals in here; I just wanted some relatively simple options to try that wouldn't be too taxing for me. As such, I wasn't at all disappointed. The book is well laid out with clear photos accompanying the recipes, to give you an idea of what things should turn out like. The instructions themselves should also be clear for all but the most novice beginner. Knowing that these are healthy meals is just a bonus..

Tonino Lamborghini KS-6024 2400W Electric Chainsaw
Tonino Lamborghini KS-6024 2400W Electric Chainsaw

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Saw, 6 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't have a large garden, but I do have a couple of small trees that need to be tamed every few months. As such, I didn't want to splash out on an overpowered petrol driven saw that would be far too powerful for my requirements. The saw itself is lightweight, but not in a way that worried me about the build quality. I have a Bosch hedge trimmer already and this feels about the same weight in my hands. You should invest in a few accessories (gloves, decent goggles, chain oil) before you set off outside with this as they're not included, plus you'll need an extension cable suitable for outdoor use if you want to reach around all but the smallest of gardens. The results have met my expectations and for the occasional, light use that I've subjected it to, this saw has performed admirably well.

BT 2500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine (Pack of 2)
BT 2500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set of Phones, 6 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very reasonable priced cordless phone double pack, with built in answer machine functionality. The two units packages have charging bases and will work with a BT line. The bundled instructions are more than adequate and it only took me 10 minute to get the whole thing set up and ready for use. Since, like many people, I'm used to using a mobile phone these days, a lot of the simplicity of those devices is assumed and it's good to see these landline phone are much the same. I've not tried using the handsets all the way down the back garden/front driveway but I've been to all 4 corners of my house and I can't detect any loss of sound quality in the connect over that distance or through the walls. If you don't use your landline all that much anymore, but you want a set of phones that 'just work' then these will fit the bill nicely.

Veet Easy Wax Electrical Roll On Kit Legs and Arms 50 ml
Veet Easy Wax Electrical Roll On Kit Legs and Arms 50 ml
Offered by UK Pharmacy Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy Wax?, 6 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're already a convert to waxing, rather than shaving, there probably isn't an advantage to using this over your regular strips. Maybe if you've never tried it and want to give it a go, then this might be worthwhile, but you will be tied in to buying the refills for this. If you get on well with the product, then that won't be a concern, but it's something worth considering. Once the device heats up (after about half an hour) it creates a thin and measured layer of wax, which is good and saves on a lot of potential mess. However, it may not be enough for some hair types, so if possible you really need to try-before-you-buy to know if it'll work for you. With that being the case, you have to ask, why bother?

Kensington Proximo Starter Kit
Kensington Proximo Starter Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Gread Idea, 6 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great idea for a device to stop you from losing your stuff, but in practice the execution is probably a little short of what I was expecting. The way the gadget works is by using a fob with a built in sensor that alerts you when you become separated from it. The build quality is OK, but not excellent - the casing is good but once I've been using this for a few month, I wonder how much wear and tear is going to show. You can have multiple fobs synced together if you want to make sure you don't lose lots of things (handy if you're the kind of person who loses things a lot). It's a little awkward setting things up, but once you have got things configured, it works much as you'd expect. However, it might just be easier to be more careful with your expensive stuff rather than buying an expensive gadget to compensate.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20