Profile for Nick CC > Reviews

Content by Nick CC

Nick CC "Big Dog" (Paignton, Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) - Australian Flag - ref 1045
Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) - Australian Flag - ref 1045

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money ~ Avoid!, 14 May 2014
If you are looking for a case for your phone, this is not it! This is merely "half a case" which clips on the back of your phone. If you want something that protects and covers the screen of your phone when not in use and you can flip it open when you use it, again this is not it. Add to that, the metal flag insert was bent up at one corner and will need to be glued in somehow. It's a shame there were not more accurate pictures or descriptions of this item. I've completely wasted my money on this item, please do not make the same mistake as me!

Legionnaire: The Real Life Story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion
Legionnaire: The Real Life Story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion
by Simon Murray
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Still THE ultimate book about the French Foreign Legion, 15 April 2014
I first bought this book in 1987 when I was waiting to join the Royal Navy. The stories of brutality during basic training in Murray's book certainly helped me appreciate the Royal Navy training more! I took the book with me when I went, and it was passed around at HMS Raleigh amongst my fellow trainees, who all enjoyed it. It is one of those books that you start reading, and before you know it, you've already read 100 pages or so. Since then, I have literally read a dozen other books on the Foreign Legion written by other former members. This to me is still by far the best read, and a book you can read over and over again whilst still enjoying it.

KOOKABURRA Gravity Sunglasses, Senior
KOOKABURRA Gravity Sunglasses, Senior

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Kit, 13 April 2014
A fantastic pair of sunglasses, which are tough and look good. Also come with a spare set of orange/yellow lenses that can easily be changed over from the blue ones, and a nice zipped travel case and cloth. Highly recommend these Kookaburra glasses.

True Stories of the Foreign Legion
True Stories of the Foreign Legion
by Robin Hunter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough book, 13 April 2014
Robin Hunter has written a good "starter" book on the Foreign Legion. If you are new to the subject, this is a good book to begin with. Traces the history of the Legion from its beginnings through to the mid/late 1990's. All the major battles and events are covered, albeit in not too great a detail, and Mr Hunter has a good, light, easy to follow style which makes this book a good read. Illustrated with a few photos as well which add well to the text.

Casio GW-6900-1ER Men's G-Shock Radio-controlled Digital Resin Strap Watch
Casio GW-6900-1ER Men's G-Shock Radio-controlled Digital Resin Strap Watch
Offered by SunnyvaleWheels

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog's Danglies, 13 April 2014
Excellent bit of kit, does what it says on the tin. Tough, durable, easy to read. Powered by sunlight so no batteries required, ever. Only problem some might find is that it's a bit chunky.

Casio GW-M5610-1ER Wave Ceptor Radio Controlled G-SHOCK Mens Digital Resin Watch
Offered by WatchWarehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars The watch I've been waiting for!, 15 Mar. 2014
I became interested in watches in about 1998, I fell for all the hype around "Swiss made", automatic pieces. I have had Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Oris, all sorts of high end brands. Every one of them has had problems. And they aren't cheap to fix either! I decided to look beyond the hype, the "This watch was worn on the moon" or "This watch is worn by that racing driver". I wanted a watch that I can stick on my wrist, and let it do its job. This one does just that, and it's tough, durable, accurate and reliable. And as a bonus feature, the instruction booklet is so huge, it can be used as a door-stopper!! I've taken one star off because the alarm isn't the loudest ~ I actually sleep through the alarm on this watch and the hourly chime is practically inaudible, unless you hold the watch against your ear!

Commando Action Stations!
Commando Action Stations!
by Calum Laird

5.0 out of 5 stars For the "Big Kid" in all of us!, 24 Jan. 2014
I used to read "Commando" comics whilst growing up in the 1970's. As schoolboys we would voraciously read each new comic and then swap them with our classmates. Many a rainy playtime or lunchtime spent indoors, or bus/train journey would be filled by reading the latest issues. The stories were then re-enacted on living room or bedroom floors using "Action Man" or "Matchbox" toys.

I recently saw these comics were still available so I bought a couple. They are every bit as enjoyable as I remember them. Exciting storylines, cowards scorned by their comrades coming good in the heat of battle, the obligatory German soldiers shouting "Himmel!" when shot/blown up, etc, etc.

All in all, a great read for the big kid in all of us blokes in our 40's who grew up with these comics. Buy them and just feel all those childhood memories flooding back!!

Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino
Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino
by Paul Kimmage

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but sometimes uncomfortable reading, 25 Nov. 2013
If you are looking for a typical footballers autobiography, namely "I played in this game and scored that goal", this is not the book to read. Instead of revealing his most difficult opponent as this or that centre-half, Cascarino reveals that his most difficult opponent was in fact, himself and his inner demons. This is not so much an "autobiography" as a baring of the soul by Tony Cascarino. At times, you actually feel as though you are a psychiatrist and Cascarino is prostrate on your couch wanting to get things off his chest.

This book is never less than totally absorbing, but sometimes uncomfortable reading. There are, however, some genuinely laugh-out-load moments, particularly in the chapter "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". Anyone who has served in the armed forces or been on holiday with their mates will laugh at Cascarino's description of sharing a room with another man. His description of Glenn Hoddle will also give you a good laugh.

This is an ideal "holiday" book, and once you start reading it, you won't want to stop.

A top quality sports autobiography.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality and value, 2 Nov. 2013
Excellent quality hat, comfortable and warm.
A real bargain for less than £4 (including postage!!). My advice is to buy one before they sell out!

ALEX FERGUSON My Autobiography
ALEX FERGUSON My Autobiography
by Alex Ferguson

1.0 out of 5 stars A Big Fuss About Nothing, 28 Oct. 2013
I don't usually buy football autobiographies because, as a rule they are pretty bland. I saw the controversy this one had caused before its publication and thought it sounded a bit tasty and worth the read, so despite not being a Man U fan, I decided to buy it. What a mistake. If you've read the quotes from the book on the internet or heard them on the radio, you've basically heard all the interesting bits of the book. The rest of it is pretty dull and tells us what we already know - Roy Keane was a nutter, Beckham put fame before his career, Bobby Charlton, Giggs and Scholes are Man U legends, Van De Sar is a great goalkeeper. That's about it. If you want an intelligent, honest "warts and all" inside story of life inside the footballing world, you still can't beat Steve Claridge's or Tony Cascarino's books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4