Profile for RayG > Reviews

Content by RayG

RayG
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
LG 42LN575V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Smart LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi/Freeview HD
Offered by Hyper-Fi
Price: 499.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic picture, questionable features, 17 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This TV is an upgrade from my old 40" Sony LCD TV, which I bought around 2009. With this LG model being an LED (technically an LED-backlit LCD) TV, I was curious to see how much better the picture would be. Despite both TVs being 1080p, I was and still am staggered by how much better the picture on this LG LED TV is compared to my old LCD TV. It really looks amazing, and is incredibly vibrant, even when all the ridiculous manufacturer settings have been turned down/off. The contrast levels are excellent, and the blacks really are almost pitch black.

In addition to a much improved picture, this TV is much thinner and lighter than my old LCD TV, and is also much more energy efficient. On hot summer days, my old LCD felt like a radiator if it was left on for any length of time, but this LG TV is completely cool at all times.

The TV also has plenty of inputs (3 HDMI and USB), and was amazingly easy to set up. Connecting 'smart' devices to a wireless network can often be a chore, but that certainly wasn't the case with this TV, and I was up and running within minutes.

From a picture/performance point of view, this TV is outstanding. However, there are a few features which I have found to be lacking.

My main initial gripe is that although the 'smart' features include a whole load of on-demand TV, only BBC iPlayer is present from the old terrestrial broadcasters - no 4oD, ITV player or Channel 5 player. To be fair to LG it seems that many smart TVs from other manufacturers are in the same boat, but I still find it disappointing. Having said that, it's still fantastic to have such easy access to the iPlayer, and there are tonnes of other channels like LoveFilm and YouTube.

I also have had problems with the recording feature. Initially I was very pleased to discover that this TV includes a TV recording function, but it's not quite good enough to replace my Humax box. For example, there is only a single tuner, so you can only record what you are watching. There also seems to be an issue with stuttering - I used a 160GB USB hard disk to record onto, but most recordings seem to have a bit of occasional stuttering. Finally, there doesn't seem to be any way of adding a buffer to the start and end of all recordings, which means if your program starts a few seconds early or ends late, you will miss all of this unanticipated footage. As a standard feature on most dedicated TV PVRs, I was sad not to find an option for this on the LG TV.

My other slight annoyance with the smart features is that all my shared network devices show up as 'inputs' on the TV and I can't find any way to remove them. The problem with this is that whenever I want to scroll through to change inputs (say, from broadcast TV to my Xbox) I have to scroll through about 8 different 'inputs' each time.

These shortcomings are really only concerned with the smart features though - as a TV I am absolutely delighted with how it performs. I just can't throw away my Humax just yet!

Sugarlump and the Unicorn
Sugarlump and the Unicorn
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for pre-schoolers, 17 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our son already has 'What the Ladybird Heard' so I was really excited to get my hands on this for him. I was worried it might be a bit 'girly' with all the glitter, but for pre-schoolers I think it's just perfect, as it's brightly coloured fun glitter rather than pink princessy glitter. A great story, with Julia Donaldson's fantastic rhyming style. A really great book for your child's collection.

Russell Hobbs 18980 Desire 3-in-1 Hand Blender
Russell Hobbs 18980 Desire 3-in-1 Hand Blender
Price: 25.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hand blender, 22 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been really impressed with this hand blender, it is much better than my previous blender which was a supermarket own brand item.

The blending attachment is really effective and is also easy to clean (an important consideration for me as I don't own a dishwasher). The two speeds are really useful if you want a bit more control over the texture of what you're blending. The additional pots, especially the chopping pot are fantastic for chopping things like onions really quickly - perfect if you like making a curry paste from scratch. My poor food processor will be not used nearly as much now. The whisk attachment is also really useful.

This blender also has a really quality, sturdy feel to all its parts, as well as looking really stylish in black and red. Lots of blenders seem to be white which stains easily but the blender on this is made of stainless steel, so stains are not even an issue.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 13 Ultra (PC)
Cyberlink PowerDVD 13 Ultra (PC)
Price: 54.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, Lots of Pointless Extras, 8 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As blu-ray playback software, PowerDVD 13 is very good. It lets you play any blu-ray, either 3D or standard, without too much hassle. However, in an attempt to justify its existence over the years, PowerDVD has unfortunately gone down the route of adding more and more extra features, most of which are already available for free elsewhere. As most recent Windows PCs are fully capable of playing music, videos and DVDs out of the box, pretty much the only reason most people will buy this is for its blu-ray playback capabilities. As a result, it just feels massively bloated. The other issue is that much of this software isn't even as good as the free alternatives - media centre applications like XBMC and Plex blow the Cyberlink offering out of the water.

If you need to add blu-ray to your PC, then PowerDVD 13 will work fine - just make sure you hide or skip installation of all the other junk that comes with it.

Netgear ReadyNAS 104 4 Bay Network Attached Storage (No Disk)
Netgear ReadyNAS 104 4 Bay Network Attached Storage (No Disk)
Price: 119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little box, 7 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used many NAS drives over the years but I have never, until now, owned one myself. I was therefore looking forward to seeing how easy was to set this NAS drive, and how well I could configure it without resorting to pages and pages of manuals and online guides: I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly everything went.

First off, I'm never a fan of installing CDs or DVDs of software onto any of my computers. Call me paranoid, but after years of seeing Kodak software and BT Broadband helper applications grinding friends' and relatives' PCs to a halt, I tend to only install client software if I really need to. There is a disc supplied with the Netgear ReadyNAS, but I've never used it. Instead, I went directly to the NAS via its IP address, which is displayed on the front of the NAS once you first boot it up (though only when it has at least one HDD installed).

Upon accessing the NAS, I went through a simple wizard to set it up, which was surprisingly effortless. Literally minutes later, everything was up and running. You login via the NAS's web page, and from there you can access all the functions and tools. The latest version of the firmware is 6.0.8, which is newer than the version that it shipped with. Fortunately, you can upgrade painlessly from the admin screen.

Aside from storing all my music and photos, one of the main reasons I wanted to use this NAS was as a home media server, using Plex. To install any kind of app like this, all you need to do is login to the NAS and go to the dedicated apps section. There is a selection of free apps (Plex included), and you can buy apps from the Genie market place. You can even install a torrent client directly on the drive, so you can leave it downloading overnight without having to keep your computer on all the time.

Having got Plex up and running, I copied all my movies across onto the drive via the network (which took over a day!), and everything was sorted. Since then the drive has been on pretty much 24/7, and has operated almost flawlessly. I say almost, because I had a problem whereby I couldn't access the admin. I contacted Netgear support the issue, and they resolved the issue for me, via an online chat and 'screen control' service. It turns out the 'continuous snapshots' service had gone a bit overboard, and was rapidly filling up the drive as I had so much data on there. To be honest, I didn't even know this was running and for what I was using the NAS for it didn't really serve much purpose, so I turned it off and deleted all the snapshots.

Aside from this issue I've had absolutely no complaints, and the excellent Netgear customer service has given me confidence in case anything serious should go wrong in the future.

The only real limitation of the NAS is that it uses an ARM CPU, which is incapable of transcoding HD video (I can only watch Plex videos using 'direct play', which is fine for me as I encode all my backups with Handbrake but some may find this an issue). For 99% of other uses however, this CPU will be absolutely fine and in theory should be very energy efficient. It's very quiet (though not silent), and has a convenient carry-handle on the back in case you need to take it anywhere.

TDK T79001 TW212 Universal Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
TDK T79001 TW212 Universal Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
Price: 19.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact but lacking bass, 8 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used several bluetooth speakers over the years, but this is one of the smallest and most reasonably priced speakers I've used. As a result, there are compromises, the most obvious of which is the sound quality. Unlike many larger speakers (and some smaller ones), this speaker does sound quite tinny. Coming from an established brand like TDK, I must admit to being a bit disappointed with the lack of bass. It's not a bad sound, but I've actually heard a much fuller sound from portable speakers that are even smaller than this.

In terms of setup, it's pretty much like any bluetooth speaker, and reconnected easily when needed (on my phone this is a manual process but my computer does this without any intervention).

Overall, this is fine for radio chat shows, and music if you're not too bothered about bass, but if you're looking for something with a bit of oomph then you might need to look at something a bit higher up the ladder.

Cloud B Sleep Sheep On The Go
Cloud B Sleep Sheep On The Go
Price: 22.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for little ones to help soothe them to sleep, 6 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our son loves this toy, he likes activating the buttons himself, but it also still works as a soothing sound machine to help him sleep. In fact, I've found myself using it to help me sleep at times, so it's true that it's perfect for 0-adult!

It's basically a cuddly sheep which can be attached to a pram or cot with the attached strap, and then it plays soothing whale/sea/rain noises for a set period of time (either 23 or 45 minutes). White noise like this is very effective for soothing babies and I only wish we'd had this sooner rather than having to leave a phone with a white noise app on in the cot for hours at a time. I have dropped a star as the choice of 23 or 45 minute timer seems a little bit restrictive, although I suppose you could turn it down/off whenever you like.

This is a perfect size to take out with you but then easily move back to your cot at home - it's the same size as any cuddly toy.

Our son can activate the sounds himself now - he'll sometimes turn it on in the middle of the night, but it does seem to help him drift back off to sleep, which as any parent knows is the holy grail of night wakings.

Natures Greatest Secret Intensive Coconut Oil and 80% Colloidal Silver Amber Salve -100ml
Price: 16.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very soothing on sensitive skin, 6 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already use coconut oil products for skincare, but liked the idea of a product that could be used more 'therapeutically' and also more easily - it's not always that practical to smear oil on yourself. So this lightweight silky cream is a perfect solution. The texture is very light yet smooth and is very easily absorbed in to the skin. It does have a coconutty smell, but it's not too overpowering. I used this on my son's dry sore heat rash and it seemed to give him quite a lot of relief (he can't talk yet so couldn't tell me) and it seemed to help it go down. I also used it on a graze I had which seemed to help it heal much more quickly.

I also used it as a general moisturiser after cleansing - to be honest if you oil cleanse like I do then a moisturiser isn't really necessary, but this would be a good addition to a skincare regime. I have quite sensitive skin and this didn't cause any flare ups, and it did feel quite soothing to apply.

Overall, I'd recommend this product as an 'all round soothing' cream.

Creative T3150 Wireless (2.1) Bluetooth Speaker System with Subwoofer and Wired Remote Control
Offered by ILUVBARGAINSUK LTD
Price: 55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sound, excellent functionality, 6 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used a couple of very similar Creative 2.1 systems over the years, I was intrigued by this new model and any benefits it has over previous models. From a sound quality point of view, little has changed over the last five or six years, but that's by no means a bad thing as I've always found these systems to punch well above their weight thanks to the dedicated subwoofer. It blows standard two-piece speaker systems completely out of the water.

This system comes with a handy remote control (not wireless) that allows you to adjust the volume and turn the system on and off without having to reach to the speakers or subwoofer. The system itself connects via the standard 3.5mm headphone jack if required or, if your computer/smartphone/tablet has Bluetooth, you can connect wirelessly. This is a big benefit over the previous systems I've used, as it now frees the speakers up to be connected via any of my multimedia devices. In addition, I use my laptop most of the time now, so it's great to have a sound system that I can use whether I'm sat at my desk or on the sofa, and without having to plug it in each time I use it. All in all, for a relatively modest price this is about the best 2.1 system I've used, so well worth a purchase if you want high quality sound and easy connectivity.

Pampers Active Fit Size 4 (Maxi) Monthly Pack - 168 Nappies
Pampers Active Fit Size 4 (Maxi) Monthly Pack - 168 Nappies
Price: 24.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally Good, a Couple of Leaks, 3 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've been using Pampers nappies on and off for our son pretty much since he was born, and never really had any problems. However, using these nappies we have found that on a couple of occasions, the nappy had leaked during the night so his back was wet in the morning. We started putting the nappies on extra tight and that seems to have resolved the issue, but we've never had to do this before. Now that this is solved, the nappies seem to be fine, and they do allow for a wider range of leg movements than other nappies we've had - something our son seems to take advantage of! Overall, good nappies as usual from Pampers, but just be careful to put them on tightly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8