Profile for jce > Reviews

Content by jce

jce "jo_ce" (hampshire, england)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hama Star 62 Tripod with Carry Case
Hama Star 62 Tripod with Carry Case
Offered by OptixMania

1.0 out of 5 stars Take note of the one star reviews and save your cash!, 29 Sep 2014
I am not heavy on my equipment, and figured even if this was not an expensive substantial tripod, how bad could it be?

On it's second outing from its bag the support between the legs snapped off meaning that one of the legs now just falls off. I am not heavy handed, didn't force it but it appears that a few people have had this issue.

The other issue is that I have a canon 6d which is already quite heavy together with a 35mm lens I didn't trust this tripod one bit. The top plate kept dropping forward with the weight. It can be locked into place, but the fear of it dropping £2k of equipment worried me.

The build quality doesn't feel terrible at first but once you start using it , you realise that possibly you should have spent more!

Don't buy this tripod if you value your equipment!

Gracie Magenta Camera Bag
Gracie Magenta Camera Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a camera bag.., 20 Sep 2014
I have owned this bag for about a month and a half now and wanted to properly use it before I reviewed it.

I have just invested in a rather pricey DSLR and two almost as pricey lenses so it made sense to not skimp on a bag to go with them (although i wouldn't normally spend so much on a bag!).

I wanted a camera bag that didn't scream 'camera bag!' which aren't always attractive and i wanted a camera bag that could be used to hold other things other than just my camera so i could take out just one bag with me.

This bag has so many pockets that it was easy to fit in all my camera gear and when i was on holiday in Greece recently it held my purse, sunglasses and all sorts of things for the day ahead.

the pockets at the front are easily accessible with popper openings and the bag easily holds everything you need.

Inside the bag the sections are interchangeable and i have set up all the compartments to fit my camera body and 3 lenses (if you keep a lens on the boy then i theory you could carry around 4 lenses with you.

If i have to be very picky then i will say that the my only downside comment would be that as handy as being able to set up the compartments are the velcro sides to the sections can be fiddly, but i don't think that there is much that could be done about that and i'd rather have the ability to set the bag up how I want it.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this bag!

Panasonic Lumix LZ20 Bridge Camera - Red (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Cheapest Electrical

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 7 Aug 2014
A bridge camera is a really good idea if you want to take photography more seriously than say, owning a 'point and shoot' but are not quite ready to move on to the world of dslr's which is a whole new world of lenses and expense!

Personally, I thought that this camera was no better than a 'point and shoot' in some cases worse. It's slow, focusing was at times hard, picture quality is not great and i had several incidents where the lens/zoom kept getting stuck.

I recommend spending a bit more money and buying something like a Canon. I compared the picture quality to a new Canon bridge camera I replaced this with and they were literally worlds apart. You really do get what you pay for.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The most effective flea spray..., 7 Aug 2014
This is a truly amazing product!

I have two cats who despite my best efforts do occasionally get fleas and not to mention the fact that i have a job where i often go into flea infested buildings and very probably bring them home with me! This product is therefore incredibly useful!

I have tried many high street available flea sprays and despite using cans and cans they do not work. With Indorex, one spray of affected rooms does the job for me.

All my pet owning friends and work colleagues use and recommend this product and I do too - don't wast your money on inferior products that don't do the job!

Good Food: Best-ever Curries: Triple-tested Recipes
Good Food: Best-ever Curries: Triple-tested Recipes

4.0 out of 5 stars love these little books!, 3 Sep 2013
Ok, so I've seen reviews where people are surprised that these are little books-yes they are! BUT they pack a lot in! A photo for every recipe as well as nutritional information for each recipe. I'm following calorie controlled diet so it helps because it means I can still have curry because I can just pick the healthier ones. There is also a good variety of curries, popular ones, veggie ones and Thai as well as Indian. Lovely :)

Coming Up Roses: The Story of Growing a Business
Coming Up Roses: The Story of Growing a Business

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read!, 30 Jun 2013
This isn't a huge lengthy book, I read it in just a few hours-in between doing other things...but it was the perfect length. I'm an aspiring small business owner and it was an invaluable read in that respect. Cath undoubtedly was in the right place at the right time, but you can't help but admire Cath for the hard work she has put in to the business to make it what it has become. I really liked that Cath was very generous with information in the book, which made it very much more real. Cath really shows that she is a visionary and never let's the business stand still.

A great book to read even if you are just a fan of the brand. It'll make you look at the shops with a new perspective.

Cuter Book, The
Cuter Book, The
by Aranzi Aronzo

3.0 out of 5 stars not sure!, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Cuter Book, The (Hardcover)
Firstly this book is nice... and cute...however i was expecting a much bigger book (this is about A5 size). Some of the things to make are cute, however i was really quite surprised at the rough and readyness and quite childlike. i would say that there is limited application of some of the items - key rings possibly? I have been very undecided about whether to keep the book!

Sew Sunny Homestyle
Sew Sunny Homestyle
by Finnanger Tone

5.0 out of 5 stars just lovely!, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Sew Sunny Homestyle (Paperback)
I got this as my first Tilda book and I think that this was a great choice! I have since got Tilda's new studio book, but the Sew Sunny Homestyle has so many projects that i will actually make.

Some of the projects are completely fine to be hand sewn - i've happily been making pretty fabric seahorses and starfish in front of the tv! I'm relatively new to sewing and the book is fine for newbies - as long as you have a little bit of common sense and little bit of know how.

The book has so many pretty girly projects and i now want to fill my house with Tilda projects.

If i had to pick one niggle with the book it's the fact that Tilda fabrics are quite expensive and some of the projects are hard to make without them. Specifically the angels need skin toned fabric which i can't seem to find any similar substitute (to be fair, i kind of knew this would be an issue). Most other projects can be made with any fabric you like (as nice as tilda fabrics are, i just can't justify it!). The other thing is that you need to have quite a good sewing inventory to make some of the projects (i.e interfacing, wadding) but some you just need fabric and some toy stuffing!

All in all, if you are thinking about a Tilda book definitely get this one first!

How to Make Money Using Etsy: A Guide to the Online Marketplace for Crafts and Handmade Products

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but not the most useful book i ever read!, 28 Aug 2011
This book is very good, but not if you have ever heard of etsy or been on the etsy site!

What i mean by this is that i am a new seller, but i felt like much of the book was stating the obvious - i know how to 'favourite' an item or what a circle is - maybe if you've only a vague idea of what Etsy is then it's going to be useful. There were quite a few interviews with established sellers, which was a nice idea, but it seemed to be a larger than i would have like proportion of the book - especially since they all seemed to say similar things in terms of tips for etsy selling, I found myself skipping pages quite frequently because it was just very sameish,..

In addition there were ideas about how to publicise your shop - facebook, blog etc and how to do it...i just would have thought that was also stating the obvious?

Not a bad book, but i'm sure there are better ones out there...

Leon: Naturally Fast Food
Leon: Naturally Fast Food
by Henry Dimbleby

5.0 out of 5 stars why hadn't i discovered leon before?, 29 Oct 2010
I actually had intended to get another book, but somehow ended up with this one! I loved the unconventional layout, it has a humour running through the book which i think is great for a cook book - and actually, i have 'read' this book in bed (the colourful pages even caught my 'can't cook' boyfriends attention and wanted to know what i was looking at). I liked all the little stories behind the recipes and it just has so much to look at. I also like the fact that the recipes are food that you would want to eat, nothing too fanciful which would have you slaving over a stove, and most of the ingredients you'd probably have

I have many recipes earmarked for trying! I really need to get the first Leon book now!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3