Profile for Amanda > Reviews

The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars a load of drivvle, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
i read a lot of books. I enjoy reading a variety of books. I thought I had better introduce some of the 'classics' into my library.... Dont't bother with this. It's like having teeth pulled. There is no warmth, or any 'bonding' with the characters. Whoever said ' this is one of the top 100 books of all time' needs shooting quite frankly

Under the Dome
Under the Dome
by Stephen King
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing ending, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Under the Dome (Paperback)
i so wanted to love this book. I did enjoy it (altho i found it a little slow in the beginning)and by half way thro i was definitely hooked.... However, the last 10 pages or so were such a complete let down.
i was promised lobster and got fish fingers....
I wanted an ending that would blow me away. I felt that SK really didnt plan ahead and was stuck for what to write to finish the book. i feel Cheated

M MARIO AND YOSHI AQ - 22.5 cm / 9" series SUPER MARIO BROS plush soft toy NEW (both toys)
Offered by IN THE JUNGLE LTD
Price: 12.56

4.0 out of 5 stars mario fan, 13 Sep 2013
you cant wash these and the outer material is a very thin 'felt'. My 6+ aged son loves them, altho i appreciate that they will have probably deteriorated within 6 months.

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Nintendo DS)
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Nintendo DS)
Price: 10.58

3.0 out of 5 stars 2nd time round, 13 Sep 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
my son who is almost 7 loves this game, he gets so engrossed. He uses his fingers on the buttons as opposed to the stylus. i dont know how to play but he assures me that its 'awesome'. The first game we bought kept 'pausing' after about 10/20 mins. the only way you could sort it was turn the game off and restart but again you got the first little bit before it froze again. Very annoyed as he had saved up his pocket money for it. my 2nd order provided a game that worked. Hence the 3 stars as the first game was a waste of money. Unsure who was to blame for that, Amazon or Nintendo???

Flight [DVD]
Flight [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointingly average, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Flight [DVD] (DVD)
I love Denzil, i think he is one of the best actors around. I also hoped the story would enthrall me as i love plane stories ( i used to fly). I loved the first half-hour and last half-hour of the film, but the middle dragged...... and dragged... I guess it was to let the viewer find out what type of character Denzil was. Talk about overkill, the first half hour had already given us an insight. Wanted to love this film. Glad i bought it at half price.

Red [DVD]
Red [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars James Bond... (after retirement), 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Red [DVD] (DVD)
Retired, Extremely Dangerous....
A funny comic thriller. Could you really imagine Helen Mirren flower arranging one minute and then wielding a gun the next??!!
John Malkovich is mad. Bruce Willis is still... bruce willis.
Loved it. I'm in my 40's, I leant it to my parents who are almost 70 and they thought it great too. Dont want to spoil the film by writing the story. Easy watching, funny but still some good action scenes.

The Cosmic Tourist: The 100 Most Awe-inspiring Destinations in the Universe
The Cosmic Tourist: The 100 Most Awe-inspiring Destinations in the Universe
by Patrick Moore
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars a birthday present for a friend, 24 Feb 2013
my friend is an 'astronomy geek'. I read some of it, but a bit above my level. It covers 100 space destinations and has some fantastic photography and facts. Imagine you get on a mystery tour- this 'cosmic bus' takes you to all the best destinations. A pity Patrick Moore is no longer with us.

Now That's What I Call Christmas [2012]
Now That's What I Call Christmas [2012]
Offered by Side Two
Price: 9.80

4.0 out of 5 stars all the christmas classics on 3 cds, 24 Feb 2013
this compilation covers most of the xmas classics on 3 cds. One is more 'pop', the other a collection of 'classics' and the last is the one i put on when the wrinklies come over on boxing day. It gets played pretty continuosly for a fortnight, then put away for the next 50 weeks....

Blood Count
Blood Count
by Robert Goddard
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars same vein as the other Goddard's, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Blood Count (Paperback)
Robert Goddard has found a recurrent theme in most of his novels that works- single British male, (with some 'baggage' or events in his past that have affected him), travels to a foreign country after taking up a job/ mystery to solve/ helping a friend, meets a foreign lady, is she all she seems to be? Twists and turns. Mystery solved. His future is now changed, happy ending for lead male.

However, every Goddard i read still grips me and is a real page turner. Highly recommended.

I'll Catch You
I'll Catch You
by Jesse Kellerman
Price: 3.86

1.0 out of 5 stars strange.... but not in a good way, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
started off promisingly.... failed author steals an almost completed manuscript, gets it published and makes a fortune... Then- well i dont know where to start. I can only describe it as similar to those weird dreams you have where nothing makes sense logically, but it sort of does in your dream- kidnap, espionage, root vegetables and poetry.
I was attracted to the book as I had read books by his parents and thought it may be similar.
Trash.