Profile for AnaW > Reviews

15 pcs Make Up Cosmetic Brush Pen Guards Sheath Fits Most Mesh Protectors White
15 pcs Make Up Cosmetic Brush Pen Guards Sheath Fits Most Mesh Protectors White
Offered by highqualityforyou

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite there, 1 Aug 2014
I'll have to disagree with the previous reviews. Firstly, the good: these guards are inexpensive, and they arrived super-quickly despite being sent from China. Now, the bad: the guards that I received were rather soft, and four of the guards had a mesh that was way too open. The brushes couldn't be dried upside down in them because the mesh was not strong enough to support the weight (unlike another popular but more expensive product, which has much higher density and strength). The ones that had a very open weave would get the bristles poking out, and thank goodness that I checked them because the brushes were drying with bristles coming out even if they were laying flat... in the end I had to remove them completely from those and change them into other guards.

Overall, they weren't a total waste of money, but I don't trust them to keep my brushes safe for travelling, they are too soft, or any vertical drying. For flat drying, the smaller mesh seems to be OK although it also requires some supervision during the process.

The Silver Dream (Interworld, Book 2)
The Silver Dream (Interworld, Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and cliched, 10 Jun 2013
I wasn't terribly happy with the original Interworld story. I liked the idea, but wasn't satisfied with how the book worked. I had decided back then to not buy any more books from the series, and only received this one by some freak accident when purchasing The Ocean at the End of the Lane. But when I realised, months later, that it was downloading, I thought about giving it another try. And I had quite a while to lament it afterwards.

This wasn't just more of the same: it was actually worse. Again, there are interesting ideas, but the execution leaves much to be desired, and the whole twists are nowhere near as clever as they think they are. I had to make an actual effort to reach the end, and although Joey's "voice" was stripped of its most annoying tones, it was still rather grating. Why on earth do so many YA writers think their heroes/heroines have to be wisecracking one-dimensional bundles of energy?

But I persevered and reached the ending. It was messy. Not REALLY much happened during the book until the final chapters, and although there was plenty of action, this felt forced and almost unnecessary... it felt almost written to stretch the length of the book. The new characters might as well be flagged up with gigantic arrows spelling out their purpose, they are THAT obvious. Again we are left with a pseudo-resolution but with an underlying cliffhanger, and not really much of a real explanation of what is happening or why, as if the writers couldn't make up their minds or didn't quite know yet, so they're stretching the books to have a chance to figure it out.

I gave the series a second chance because I have loved nearly everything else that Mr Gaiman has written. I have to say, today, that any Interworld future novel will be absent from my library, because I refuse to subject myself to another one.

The Lost Angel
The Lost Angel
by Javier Sierra

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, awful writing, and rather dull story, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Lost Angel (Paperback)
Disclaimer: I'm a native Spanish speaker and I am reading this in the original Spanish. Therefore, unlike the previous reviewer, I can't comment on (or blame) the translation.
Second disclaimer: I haven't finished the book yet, but I'm two thirds into it and so far everything has advanced exactly in the way I predicted. And I'm writing this review at this point because the issues are *that* nagging; I can't foresee anything happening that will completely change my appreciation -or lack thereof- of this book.

Characters are uni-dimensional, the plot manages to meander all over the place -and time- while remaining predictable. And the writing is *that* awful: there's an over-reliance on technobabble that adds absolutely nothing other than irritation to the reading experience, that becomes tiresome. Example:

"The GPS connected via bluetooth to the earbuds in her pink fiber glass helmet indicated the distance left to arrive"

It feels heavily like the writer wanted to give a James Bond-like experience, trying to write with a hard edge, which only results in irritation with a minutiae of details that are completely irrelevant, as they don't serve to flesh out the story or characters, but just to make it sound pretentious and, in a few years' time, dated. Because seriously, do we NEED to know that someone is using an iPad instead of an unspecified portable computer? Or bluetooth earpieces? Or the cilinder specs of a rented motorcycle that the pink-helmet wearing character is taking to move from a to b? And the answer is, obviously, NO. That before even starting on a military no-nonsense woman selecting a pink helmet when trying to go unnoticed.

So far, the main female character is irritatingly naive, the main male character appears to not be that much better, the token "bad" guy even has the suitable moustache to twirl, the Americans are of course covered in conspiracy, the English are charmingly cooky and the Spanish can't even seem to swear properly.

Pick it up for a fast read over your holiday, just don't expect to be blown away by it. Or pass on it altogether, you won't be missing much.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE: NOT FULL BODY H07FB AS ADVERTISED, 25 May 2012
What is depicted in the photo, and the sizes listed, are for the Capezio H07FB. This is NOT what you will receive if you order, you will get the standard Footundeez H07. You will have to return them at your own expense, and goodness knows whether you'll get a proper replacement or whether you'll have to re-order (and pay shipping again to boot), for something that was wrongly depicted. Or I might have to pay the difference. I still can't really make much sense out of the seller's Returns Policy, as listed in their Returns Procedure.

Having said that, I do own a pair of standard Footundeez. They are comfortable and do their job but have a tendency to turn when you've done a few spins. The full body version might solve this with the extra tension keeping it all in place, but I will only know this if I ever receive the replacement.

Turkish Chiffon Three Row Belly Dance Hip Scarf Belt (Black/Silver)
Turkish Chiffon Three Row Belly Dance Hip Scarf Belt (Black/Silver)
Offered by The Turkish Emporium

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but nightmarish transaction., 7 May 2011
I ordered this item back when it was listed as a 74" scarf. I got sent a 58", and when contacting the seller, told to keep it and they would send me the right one. They then sent me another 58". In the meantime, the listing for this item was also changed from 74" to 58". When I contacted the seller again, was told to send both (yes, including the one I was told to keep at first) and they would send me the right length. No offer to cover shipping cost was made, despite the fact that two coin belts are quite heavy and the mix-up was theirs. But nowhere in the communication I was given information on where to send it.

Today I tried to contact them to get that information. Their land line was permanently engaged, and I tracked down instead a mobile number (hint: they're selling at ebay and it's listed there). At first they refused to give me the address, then told me the one taken from their ebay seller listings was wrong. Then told me I had to email via Amazon (which I had been doing for a while) and then finally that I needed to initiate a return via Amazon for a refund before anything else. Apparently they stopping stocking the bigger sizes which is why I never got one, but no one saw fit to tell me until I tried to get what I'd paid for and wouldn't get a different, unsuitable product instead.

I dropped it. It was £10 (yes, it was far more for the bigger size) and not worth the aggravation of more hoops to jump. I'd been trying to obtain my correct order since the 10th of April without any luck. I'll chalk it up to experience and won't be using the seller again.

How was the item? You get what you pay for. It's ok, but I can't see it surviving too long if you do dance more than once a week, the crochet looks a bit flimsy in places. I've given the item 3* as I think it is fair for the quality. The whole experience with the seller has been a nighttmare and has left a very sour taste in my mouth; I would give them 2*, as at least they answered their emails and sent the items on time.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bright red, decent for the price, 27 April 2011
The shoes are a dull red, nowhere near the beautiful red colour in the picture; it's not ugly or brown, just rusty and not as vivid. I am pretty certain they are not leather, but leatherette or reconstituted leather, so I'm not sure how long they will last. They are not bad for the price, and seem to be decently made, at least the ones I got, so not a bad deal overall. A pity about the colour.

100,000 Web Graphics
100,000 Web Graphics
Offered by Sunset Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 29 July 2010
This review is from: 100,000 Web Graphics (CD-ROM)
These would have been barely useful back in 1998. Right now they are completely unacceptable for any professional use. They are not antialised, everything looks chewed/gnawed, and even the designs are very, VERY old school. Of the sort that were seen a lot on places like Geocities. Give it a wide miss unless you're going for retro feel.

Hoya 49mm Macro Close UP+10 Screw in Filter
Hoya 49mm Macro Close UP+10 Screw in Filter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, avoid, 4 Jan 2010
These are not Hoya filters, but a different brand called Mandee. It's a set of 2 filters in a carrying case; the carrying case is quite good and padded. Unfortunately, I might have got a dud, but the filters I received were scratched and one of them had what appears to be fungus. I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting for an answer, but based solely on the brand not being the one advertised, I would suggest that you avoid it, unless you're ok with getting something other than what you are seeing on the product page.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2010 5:14 PM GMT

The Child Thief
The Child Thief
by Gerald Brom

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable take on a classic, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Child Thief (Hardcover)
I purchased this book not really sure of what to expect, but I wasn't dissapointed. The edition is beautiful, there's a colour insert with Brom's fantastic illustrations, and each chapter starts with one of them too. I found the story engaging, and while not particularly uplifting, quite enjoyable. Brom is mostly known as an illustrator, and this becomes apparent in the rich, vivid descriptions of Avalon, which can come alive on the page. It hasn't been my favourite book of the year so far, but certainly quite readable, and while I'd give the writing 3 and a half stars, the lovely illustrations that come with it add a nice extra that pushes it to 4.

Stick And Click Led Push Lights (3 per pack)
Stick And Click Led Push Lights (3 per pack)
Offered by bargains_expert

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 1 Oct 2009
The light they emit is minimal. The sticky paper can hold them in place only without batteries, the weight of the batteries pulll them down in a matter of hours once you try to have them operational. Avoid.

Page: 1 | 2