Profile for M. Pink > Reviews

Nicholas Van Hoogstraten: Blood and Retribution
Nicholas Van Hoogstraten: Blood and Retribution
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A right charmer this fella, 7 Feb 2014
A very good read about an intriguing personality, cold and ruthless without much regard for fellow humans, Van Hoogstraten is not someone I'd want to do business with!

Be Careful What You Wish For
Be Careful What You Wish For
Price: 4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this book and not because Jordan lost his cash!, 26 Nov 2013
Simon Jordan is one of those people you either like or can't stand, he's a bit like marmite. Personally I don't think the media have helped him and actually a lot of his outspoken views aren't far off the mark. I thought this was a great read and I admire Jordan for being self made, his work ethic and for following his dream, shame it went pear shaped for him but I'm sure he has bouncebackability!

The Dirtiest Race in History: Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the 1988 Olympic 100m Final (Wisden Sports Writing)
Price: 4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 31 Oct 2013
Very well written book about one of the greatest moments in Olympic history. As a 12 year-old I wondered how Johnson had managed to run so fast and why his eyes looked yellow, days later the truth came out. Drug use was so common place in athletics that it needed this high profile moment to raise the profile to breaking point in the media, cheats should never prosper...
However in Johnson's case its not totally black and white and only 2 of the 100m 88 field were never caught taking drugs in their careers at some..level and point. Really enjoyed this book.

Hanratty: The DNA Travesty
Hanratty: The DNA Travesty

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost interest, 23 Aug 2013
Disjointed, repetitive and after 20% I couldn't go on, shame as I've read the other books by Paul Foot, Bob Woffinden and Lord Russell on this case cover to cover several times.

I can see what the author was trying to do but the level of detail on the DNA subject makes it hard to follow and it became a struggle to stay awake on the tube getting through this book. I have mixed feelings on Hanratty's guilt, DNA supposedly proved it despite the a wealth of doubt surrounding the rest of the case and evidence, i spent so long thinking it was a mis-carriage of justice that when it was announced DNA had proved it I found it hard to accept. Rather strangely the author focuses on Hanratty's original opening alibi of being in Liverpool however he changed this midway through his trial stating he was actually in Rhyl instead and produced witnesses to back this up, the author seems to ignore this point which was odd.

The work sort of falls between trying to go in depth to prove doubt of the DNA testing and potential contamination and some sort of scientific thesis for a University text book!

The Murder of Billie-Jo
The Murder of Billie-Jo
by Sion Jenkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Will we ever know the truth!, 14 Jan 2010
I remember the case and the publicity so when I got this book for Christmas I got straight into it as I never really spent much time studying this case - all I knew was the father had been re-tried several times and was eventually found not guilty (or the jury couldn't agree).

I found this book to be a very interesting read, albeit a biased account as its written by Sion Jenkins the accused and stepfather along with Bob Woffinden a jounalist who specialises in mis-carriages of justice, and wrote a book on James Hanratty A6 murderer who was hung for the crime stating a case for his innocence. Hanratty as we know was exhumed and DNA finally proved he did commit the crime! You had me believing though Bob.

Having read through the book this case completely hinges on the total mis-handling of the investigation by Sussex Police. There's an old saying - innocent until proven guilty and there is simply not enough concrete evidence against Jenkins to prove he's the murderer and the scientific evidence actually swings in his favour as surely if he had blugend poor Billie Joe to death then he would have been covered in blood, not just a few minute spots found on his fleece. You can't convict a man on circumstantial evidence and hear-say. Whilst Jenkins manor may not do him many favours it doesn't mean he's a murderer and I struggle to see how he would have had the time, what his motive was (if he needed one) and how he would have stayed so calm when police and family etc arrived. They should have sealed the scene off properly and investigated all leads not just concentrated on Jenkins as they seemed obsessed he had done it and so did his wife after they had pointed the finger at him.

Either Jenkins got off lightly with only 6 years in clink or he was indeed robbed of his step daughter, 4 natural daughters, wife, job, and life and turned into a figure of hate for the general public.

I finished this book feeling very frustrated as it seems we will never get to the bottom of who did this murder and its a real shame there has been no justice for Billie-Joe. In summary I would say its well worth a read, make your own minds up (baring on the fact its a slightly biased account) and if someone asked me if he did it I would say probably not and if he did then the Police didn't secure enough evidence to prove it.