Profile for DB Edwards > Reviews

Content by DB Edwards

DB Edwards "Tally Ho!" (Blackpool, England)

Laurel & Hardy Volume 13 - Sons of the Desert/Related Shorts [DVD]
Laurel & Hardy Volume 13 - Sons of the Desert/Related Shorts [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stan Laurel
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Comedy in Film History., 3 July 2011
Let me say this straight away. SONS OF THE DESERT is the funniest Laurel and Hardy comedy. And moreover, I will go on record saying this is the best Hollywood comedy ever. Why? The storyline revolves around the deception we men so often are tempted to pull over women, but fail at so miserably. "A man's house is his castle," is the boast of Oliver Hardy. But what of it? IT'S THE WIVES WHO RULE. And these women are not only clever, the one is a duck hunter who carries about a shotgun in the house! So what it is is a play betwixt men and women. And this is and, has been, the raging condition of all mankind for all time. The greatest comedy there will ever be. How it plays out and how it resolves is the divine humour of it all.
Lots of funny gags and twists and turns. And for me, what I love most are those "slow burns," when Stan Laurel commits some outrageous oddity and Oliver Hardy turns his head to the camera and looks at us as if to say, what then? A veritable feast of entertainment. If only they could make them this brilliant nowadays.

Laurel & Hardy Volume 14 - A Job To Do/Classic Shorts [DVD]
Laurel & Hardy Volume 14 - A Job To Do/Classic Shorts [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stan Laurel
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant Laurel & Hardy, 2 July 2011
This edition of Laurel & Hardy is the finest I have come across. The images are sharp and fresh, and the sound quality is bright and clear. What a treat. I was accustomed to inferior renditions before, those published by Hallmark. Sheer debauchery that. Poor sound, images that would flicker. Bloody poor. If you want a good laugh, and it only costs a few quid, this is what you want. The stellar piece is a short called THE MUSIC BOX. L&H attempt to haul a piano up a myriad walk of steps, and the process is simply hilarious! Other shorts include: BUSY BODIES, DOUBLE WHOOPEE, HOG WILD, DIRTY WORK, THE FINISHING TOUCH and HATS OFF (HATS OFF consists of photo stills only, as the work has been lost). I don't believe comedy gets any better than Hollywood in the 1930's, the gilded age it was, and this recording does it justice. With all what's with the world these days, we all need a good hardy, shall I say it, Laurel and Hardy, laugh? Best of British!