Profile for Dil > Reviews

Content by Dil

Dil (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
RECCE (The Union Series Book 4)
RECCE (The Union Series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The saga continue ......., 5 Feb. 2015
Yet another great read, characters you can really relate to in an environment that could be the current Middle-East! Much more complex than prior books with a plot worthy of Robert Ludlum and the like. Next instalment asap please!

Ark Royal
Ark Royal

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel please ......, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
An off beat plot with slightly off beat characters and cracking pace! Well executed and very readable - surely there must be a sequel!

EDEN (The Union Series Book 3)
EDEN (The Union Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb story ......, 23 Jan. 2014
I am the best part of 60 years old and have been reading military sci-fi or its like since I first read Starship Troopers as a student! I have been through most of the "classics" - David Weber, David Drake, John Ringo etc, and I'd include the likes of Dan Abnett and Glen Cook in that!

These three books rank with the best of them. They posess a grittiness that brings a degree of reality to the stories that is perhaps not surprising given the author's background and experience. What does surprise me is the moral complexity and ambiguity of the plot lines facing the central characters, who are exceptionally well drawn, and the way that they interact with each other as the situation evolves. Taken together the plotlines and the characters create a richness to the writing that is impressive in a new author. Furthermore, as the central character Andy - with all his apparents flaws, sporadic violence and self-doubt - is a far more human protagonist than some notable authors ever achieve. One of the other reviewers mentioned latent PTSD and thats certainly in there although its not something that I cottoned on to while reading it. This is a well thought-out, well written book and very much in the groove for a post-Afghanistan/Iraq "take" on military sci-fi.

I am really looking forward to the next volumes and hope that there are many more to come.

LANCEJACK (The Union Series Book 2)
LANCEJACK (The Union Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking read!, 13 April 2013
I read this as a result of reading the author's first novel. I enjoyed this one just as much. The real military experience of the author makes this so much more realistic and gripping than many books in this genre. Furthermore, while I have never been in the army, the characters are carefully drawn and would resonate with anyone who is a Brit and has worked in a small team environment. I can't help thinking that the hero gets away with a bit more than he would in real life but it all helps with a pacey and sophisticated plot. Loved the whole experience and read it in a couple of days. Hopefully, another in the series will follow .......

Death Match: Sten Omnibus 3: Numbers 7 & 8 in series
Death Match: Sten Omnibus 3: Numbers 7 & 8 in series
by Chris Bunch

5.0 out of 5 stars The oldies are the goodies, 13 Jan. 2013
I first read the Sten books just after I had left university and way before Amazon and the internet became popular (indeed it could even have been before the PC came into widespread use) - I used to get them from Forbidden Planet when it was at the bottom of Oxford Street as American imports and they were great then. They remain great today - there is a ceratin timeless quality to them (my son of 25 reads them with equal enjoyment) - which I think i sto do with the fact that the characters and situations are archetypes rather than stereotypes. Both authors, as I recall, are Viet Nam vets and that reality shows through in the books.

Together with the Black Company series, they introduced me to a new, grittier and more realistic, take on SF/Fantasy which I found inherently more satisfying than much of what had gone before.

If it were possible to award 10 stars then I would - I simply buy every new edition to update prior dog-eared copies. I am sure there are millions of fans who would happily shell out for hard back versions of them as well.

Walking the World's Natural Wonders
Walking the World's Natural Wonders
by Jon Sparks

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Coffee Table Book, 13 Jan. 2013
As far as we are concerned, this book met its aim admirably. It has great photograph's and a resaonable level of text. We originally bought it as a birthday present for my son as a stimulus for his gap year travels. It achieved the purpose of pointing him at some interesting stuff but lacked any real depth when it came to palnning - but I guess that is largely the intent of the volume - so a good buy for us.

Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception Special Edition
Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception Special Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 13 Jan. 2013
The latest in the story franchise. I bought this as a present for my wife who likes RPG games started with the first Tomb Raider and graduated onto this over time. The basic structure is the same as the previous versions but the presentation is a bit improved and the characters slightly more "real". My son finished the game in a day, although it kept my wife amused for longer.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2015 8:51 PM BST

Shoe String Unisex-Adult Automatic Bootshaper Boot Trees Gold One Size
Shoe String Unisex-Adult Automatic Bootshaper Boot Trees Gold One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 13 Jan. 2013
Arrived on time. Exactly as described in site write-up. Worked perfectly - what more can you say about a tall boot stand?

Tutankhamun
Tutankhamun

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Tutankhamun (Kindle Edition)
Ancient Egypt is not a period that I am particularly familiar with - my interests and tastes lay a little later than this in time normally. I did, however, get a very pleasant surprise when I downloaded this book to read on a trans-atlantic plane flight. You do not need to be an expert in Egyptian myths and/or pyramids and/or dynasties to read this book. The protagonist is very easy to get along with, often blind-sided and it is very easy to feel a lot of empathy for him as his entire world changes about him. He is also a rounded character rather than a historical cypher. It is, quite frankly, an intriguing "whodunnit" set in an exotic cultural and religious milieu - you could, in another sense, almost read it as a work of science fiction or fantasy - do not be discourages by the sometimes dry presentation Egyptology one sees in the press or museums - this book actually comes to life. There are also a number of really interesting and intriguing concepts - the idea of a domesticated baboon on a lead acting in a "guard dog" role just blew me away! I'd love to know whether it has any basis in fact but I fear it may be a little poetic licence!

The Black Jackals
The Black Jackals

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read - not a classic, 15 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Black Jackals (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book - I bought it on a Kindle to read on a plane and it certainly provided a good way of whiling away a transatlantic crossing - so much so that I have bought the next book in the series for the Kindle. I must admit, however, that while enjoyable its not a classic of the genre and the storline is a bit predictable in places. Historically, it was obviously well researched and I learnt some interesting new things about the British retreat to and from Dunkirk - not the least of which is the fact that not all of the troops saved were actually taken off from Dunkirk!

I tend to buy books by this author as a result of his book about Waterloo - which I thought was a classic of its kind and which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3