Profile for R. Jakubowski > Reviews

Deep Field (Digipack)
Deep Field (Digipack)
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Nervous, not half !, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Deep Field (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Ignore the first track it is not indicitive of the rest of the album.This is a broody piece of work with a few uplifting moments and an album that you will listen to more than once. I really do not care about her relationships as other reviewers seem to concentrate on (otherwise why would I enjoy the music of Amy Whitehouse), music is the thing.The one minor quibble is that the tracks are too long,average 5 minutes.She makes good use of her limited vocal range and the arrangements plus the variety of instruments keeps your interest. I am happy to recommend this album. I agree that the packaging sucks,and the photos of her are weird but it should not distract you from her beautiful music.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2011 9:25 PM GMT

Horse and Fish
Horse and Fish

4.0 out of 5 stars Not chilled just flat on your back, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Horse and Fish (Audio CD)
An excellent piece of music,if you have become bored with the mundane samba of South America you will be pleasently suprised at the undertones of this album,its one you can enjoy by yourself or play as background music when friends come around and wonder at the versility this man shows. Love it.

Green Hornet: Year One Volume 1
Green Hornet: Year One Volume 1
by Matt Wagner

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 27 Jan. 2011
The artwork is stunning and the quality of the production is great. I do not know if this is based on the forthcoming film or not,but it is confused if not at times baffling...that could be a case of a glass too many.
If you are into comics then there are good ones out there,your money your choice...but I would not start a collection of the Green Hornet,but then again I think Superman is a wimp so what do I know

Chilled Acoustic
Chilled Acoustic
Offered by b68solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, 27 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Chilled Acoustic (Audio CD)
I have a hard time giving 5 stars to any cd because I expect perfection to be waiting just around the corner.This comes close. I do not know many of the artists but it has introduced me to a new genre. Best of all you can play it for your kids,or even grandchildren, and nod saying I know good music when I hear it... sagely.At the price it is a steal!

Urban 3 Tier Shelving Unit Finished in Contemporary Oak
Urban 3 Tier Shelving Unit Finished in Contemporary Oak

5.0 out of 5 stars A good piece of work, 24 Jan. 2011
Easy to put together and can be used anywhere as long as you are not fussed about coordination with other items.Sturdy and attractive,I use mine for cat food and my emergency tool kit.I would recommend this product to anyone with storage problems.

21 Amazon Exclusive Edition [Includes pullout poster containing Adele's hand written lyrics]

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-hyped and over my head, 24 Jan. 2011
So that you know where I am coming from,my favourite albums are Desperado(Eagles) and Whats going on(Marvin Gaye)...I normally sit back and listen to a whole album,not in this case, it was fast-forward all the time.Does she have an excellent voice,YES,but the arrangements and production are very poor.Her album 19 is more indicative of her talents,buy that, not this load of rubbish.Everyone one is allowed mistakes I hope this is her last.Whats the betting her next album will be called 23!
Comment Comments (26) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2011 10:35 PM GMT

61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14)
61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14)
by Lee Child

2.0 out of 5 stars Cardboard characters, 22 Jan. 2011
I have only read 3 or 4 of this author,but as time has gone on he has got lazy,a convultated plot where if uou have an iota of intelligence you will know who the inside man is. Tne rather explicit violence is to sell the book and not revelent to the plot. The characters are shallow and you cannot feel anything,they are there to fill up the pages.I have noticed this in a number of successful authors who have touched a cord with a reading audience and produce the same rubbish year after year.If you want to to read something of a similar ilk but superior try the Travis Mcgee series by John D. McDonald(even he goes down hill in his later books.
If you want this book,look in a charity shop,but it should come with a health warning

Seasons Of My Soul
Seasons Of My Soul
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much suger, 22 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Seasons Of My Soul (Audio CD)
Like others Karen immediatly springs to mind,I found the the variety of instruments on the album, refreshing(think Herb Albert),the first track contrary to other reviewers is a good intro to the album. there are a number of good tunes and some so sweet that they make you spit in your coco.Is it worth buying? Yes,but only if you are a softie.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but ugly, 17 July 2010
All functions are good as long as the system is directed towarde the the listener otherwise it sounds tinny. Perfect fot using outdoors when you are having a BBQ

Fables Vol. 3: Storybook Love
Fables Vol. 3: Storybook Love
by Bill Willingham

3.0 out of 5 stars roymerlin, 29 Jun. 2010
you have to be a fan...the series is very good but this one is weak

Page: 1 | 2