ARRAY(0xa843a39c)

Profile for N. Parker > Reviews

Content by N. Parker

N. Parker (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hat to delight a teenage boy, 23 Nov 2013
My 16-year-old son is really delighted with this hat! It's black, warm, faintly militaristic but with the added quirk of the hammer and sickle badge. I think he's hoping he will now stand out in a subtle and discriminating way. All that we need is some Arctic conditions to justify wearing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hat to delight a teenage boy, 23 Nov 2013

Latcho Drom (1993) Region 1,2,3,4,5,6 Compatible DVD. Written and Directed by Tony Gatlif. Starring La Caita.
Dvd ~ Tony Gatlif
Offered by MagicoClassicMovies
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Romani musical journey, 17 Jun 2012
This is a film that slowly entranced me, after I'd got over my initial puzzlement and irritation about shockingly bad subtitles. Latcho Drom is a mesmerising visual and musical feast, a film about different tribes of gypsies' travels through different countries. The music is wonderful, as are the colours and the images. But don't expect to be given or told an easy story - there's no storyline as such, rather the entire film is a metaphor. And the scanty subtitles are DIRE - usually meaningless, badly spelled, and at one point providing a website address instead of a song lyric! Having said that, once you're absorbed in the film they don't really matter too much.

Atlas of Remote Islands: Fifty Islands I Have Not Visited and Never Will
Atlas of Remote Islands: Fifty Islands I Have Not Visited and Never Will
by Judith Schalansky
Price: 16.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Atlas of Remote Islands, 2 Jan 2011
An exceptionally beautifully produced book that I gave my husband for Christmas. He started reading it with delight and then discovered, to his intense frustration, that the English translation didn't extend to converting the kilometres into miles (or at least having both side by side). This is a bizarre omission on the part of the UK publisher, especially given that the book is all about travels of the imagination rather than making detailed plans for a visit. So every page requires some thinking about how far the distance actually is.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2011 12:29 AM GMT

Our Forgotten Years: A Gypsy Woman's Life on the Road
Our Forgotten Years: A Gypsy Woman's Life on the Road
by Maggie Smith-Bendell
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Gypsy Woman's Life, 5 April 2010
A very detailed personal account of growing up as a Romany in England. A genuinely interesting memoir, it shows up the harshness of life on the road and the prejudice experienced by the author and her family, but also the joys and privileges (such as an intimate understanding of nature). A window on to another culture and a parallel life, it's also a rattling good yarn - the author knows how to tell a good story and her voice keeps you turning the pages.Our Forgotten Years: A Gypsy Woman's Life on the Road

Secrets of The Fearless
Secrets of The Fearless
by Elizabeth Laird

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 1 Dec 2009
This book has achieved the previously impossible feat of converting my 11-year-old son from being a humour-and-facts-only reader to a boy who announced 'This book is utterly amazing! It's the best thing I've ever read!' I read it aloud to him first, which is a test in itself that not many books pass well - this one's rhythm, changes of pace and different character voices make it a sheer and rich pleasure to read aloud. And so successful that it then became the first in-depth novel that my son read to himself, starting it from the beginning minutes after we'd mutually reached the end. It is a joy: an old-fashioned high-seas adventure with a twist.

by Amnesty International
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars We Are Born Free, 18 Jun 2009
We Are All Born Free: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Pictures

This is such a beautiful and thought-provoking book. Each human right is retold in simple language and interpreted by a different illustrator, so that even small children can begin to grasp what they mean. Some pictures are funny, some pretty close to the knuckle. It's a wonderful book for adults and children to share and feels like it will encourage a sense of responsibilities as much as rights.

Swallows and Amazons [DVD]
Swallows and Amazons [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claude Whatham
Price: 5.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Swallows and Amazons, 14 Jun 2009
This review is from: Swallows and Amazons [DVD] (DVD)
Approached this film with some reservations - child actors and made in the 70s didn't bode well. But my son is an avid Swallows and Amazons enthusiast so there was nothing for it... To my great surprise it is beautifully made, retains the spirit of the book, and somehow the director coaxed a degree of naturalness out of the children that is nothing short of miraculous. Of course there are elements that seem a little slow these days, but overall it's a moving portrayal of childhood happiness and fun on a lake. And my son (aged 11) thinks it's fantastic.