Profile for P. Walker > Reviews

Content by P. Walker

P. Walker "man of leisure" (Midlands, England)

Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Sports Watch
Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Sports Watch
Offered by Electro Photo Deals
Price: 130.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not perfect, 12 Feb 2010
I have never purchased a GPS watch before so have nothing to compare this with. Other reviews seem to say it is an improvement over older models, however I can only speak from my experience of this.

Firstly, I had problems installing the USB stick driver onto my PC. Having contacted Garmin support they suggested I turn off or uninstall all my security software (anitvirus / firewall etc.) and try to reinstall. I shut down as many programs and services as I could, after first disconnecting my PC from the internet, and tried again, but to no avail. Eventually I found the answer on a forum after searching on google, and it seems many people are experiencing the same problem. In the end I had to start the installation as usual, until my computer hung. Then reboot windows into safe mode, to complete the installation, then reboot back into normal mode and start the ANT program running.

After successful installation it began to upload runs to my PC without any problem. However, in the last week, the software has now started to error when it first attempts to upload a run. When I restart the software it appears to upload the run successfully, but doesn't always work successfully, meaning I have lost some of my runs.

As far as the GPS goes, this is not perfect either. Last week I ran near my home, but by the time I had walked (a couple of minutes) to where I was going to start, the watch had not found the satellites, so I started running anyway. Three-quarters of a mile later the watch had found the satellites. I'd been running in an open park area, and there were no trees or buildings that should have blocked the signal. Also, when viewing runs on the computer after having uploaded them, there are sometimes small gaps where it looks like the watch has lost the GPS signal, and sometimes the recorded route seems to differ wildly for short distances from where I've actually run. In addition to this the inclines and declines recorded seem to be way out in places (though I'm not sure if it gets this information from the maps, or GPS). Unfortunately, all this makes me question how accurate the distances are it is telling me that I've run.

Having said all that, the GPS receiver seems to work better when I've run in areas outside my hometown, so perhaps I'm just unlucky with where I live!

I do still like the idea of the device, and what it tries to do, and in spite of the above, I think most of the time it is fairly accurate with the information it's telling me. I'm planning on running my first marathon this year after starting running 5 years ago, and being able to review the runs I've done, and use the watch to help pace myself over the miles has been really useful. However, for the price that I paid for this item, I would expect it to work near perfectly, all of the time, and for me it's too glitchy. Therefore I can only give it 3 stars.

UPDATE August 2011: Having used watch for well over a year now, I would like to update my rating from 3 stars to 4 stars. I think my initial problems with installation and getting used to using the device lowered my initial opinion. Although still not perfect (from the perspective of picking up satellites quickly - although as pointed out by others it is fine if you wait until you have them before starting), I have discovered and used many more of the useful training features, and found this overall to be an excellent training aid. I also use it for cycling now, and the feature that allows you to upload and follow your route removes all the hassle from navigating in areas you are unfamiliar with.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 1:29 PM BST

Sounds Of The Universe
Sounds Of The Universe
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Future classic, 15 April 2009
This review is from: Sounds Of The Universe (Audio CD)
I've read a lot of reviews from people who have been DM fans for many years who have given this 1 star. My question is; have you listened to it more than once or twice?

First listen, I too was disappointed, but like many of the other reviewers who persevered, I found after 3 or 4 listens it all starts to fall into place. The problem is there are no really immediately catchy songs (there's no "Enjoy The Silence", "I Feel Loved", or "Precious"), so I don't see big singles sales from this album. "Peace" and "Perfect" are probably the most immediate songs on the album, and maybe a remix of the former could dent the charts. Having said that, once the songs do grab you, they don't let go, and that's what makes this the most consistent album since "Songs of Faith and Devotion".

The last album, "Playing the Angel" was getting back to their best. "Sounds of the Universe" is even closer to their best. On the downside, unlike "Violator", there are actually one or two slightly weaker tracks on this album; however Violator only has 9 "full" songs, whilst this album has 12.

Highlights for me are "In Chains", "Peace", "Hole To Feed", "Perfect", "Jezebel" and "Corrupt".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2010 9:29 PM BST

Samsung LE26R74BDX -  26'' HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview
Samsung LE26R74BDX - 26'' HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview

2.0 out of 5 stars LCD screen saves space at the expense of picture quality, 11 May 2007
The TV is not too bad, but largely disappointing for the price paid. Don't get me wrong, the picture looks great when used with an Xbox-360 and they seem to have done a good job with the Game Mode. However, for TV viewing, the picture quality is poor, even when watching through digital cable. It took me weeks to find settings for contrast, brightness and colour etc. that pleased the eye, and even then it is not as good as the old TV it was bought to replace. Maybe it's because I'm not used to LCD TV's; although the picture looks better when it's a still scene, motion looks blurred.

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (Xbox 360)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing, 28 Mar 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I agree with the other reviewers that this is not as good as PES4, which I had on the original XBOX. I also has PES5, which I would say was not as good as PES4 either. The gameplay and AI seem to have gone downhill in the last 2 releases, although I would say it's slightly better again now than it was in PES5. However, a lot of the features that were available in previous versions seem to have been removed! Having said all that, it's still a fairly playable and enjoyable game. We can only hope the next version returns the series to it's former glories.

The New Statesman Complete Box Set - Series 1 to 4 [DVD]
The New Statesman Complete Box Set - Series 1 to 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rik Mayall

3.0 out of 5 stars A comedy that's funny, 24 Oct 2006
This is not the best thing that Rik Mayall has done, but it is not bad.

Mayall is a good comedy actor in this type of character, i.e. manic! However, the character of B'stard is like a pantomime villain - so utterly devoid of remorse, that there is nothing he wouldn't do to get his own way.

Most of the other characters, including B'stards political and personal foes are just as unlikeable too, so you don't really know who you should be rooting for. As well as this the plots are thin and predictable.

However, having said that, this is supposed to be a comedy, and it's funny and has laugh-out-loud moments, so what more can you ask for?