Profile for Andy Heron > Reviews

Bemis 5000AR Chicago Moulded Wood Toilet Seat with Plastic Hinges - White
Offered by Epsom Bathroom Centre
Price: 22.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Good toilet seat., 27 Dec 2011
Good, solid design. Bought to replace a troublesome little number bought in a diy store. I'd thought toilet seats were much of a muchness, but so many have such bad fittings (the wobbly, circular type with bolts that can be slid back and forth within them) that the whole lid eventually comes crashing to the floor! I don't know why the hinge/fitting design of this seat is not the standard one, as it is solid and secure, and neatly concealed.

Go the F**k to Sleep
Go the F**k to Sleep
by Adam Mansbach
Price: 7.69

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh!, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
One of a generation of trendy books for young grown-ups afflicted with student humour. No, I don't have a problem with swearing (I'm a huge fan of The Thick of It). It is just that this book seems to just rely on the juxtaposition of the f-word with the innocuous appearance of a children's picture-book for laughs. The joke is literally that.

I see this book being bought mainly as a present, and finding its way from recipients' houses into charity shops.

The pictures are nice though.

WaterRower Natural Rowing Machine - Ash Wood
WaterRower Natural Rowing Machine - Ash Wood
Price: 949.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Nov 2011
I bought this some years ago, having tried it out in the shop and found it stood out among the exercise machines for how pleasant and easy it was to use, and that strange swoosh of water with each stroke. Now I am not an exercise/sport freak at all, so when I decided to buy it I was all too aware of the risk of spending a huge sum on what could potentially become a proverbial white elephant, gathering dust as I did the same!

I'm pleased to say that my concerns were unfounded. I use the rower nearly every day for just under fifteen minutes, and it has made a huge difference to my life. Keeping fit has become part of my routine - something I had really struggled with before.

I think the Waterrower's strengths boil down to two things: Firstly, the fact that water rather than air is used for resistance produces the pleasant pull of real oars (you don't get this at all with conventional rowers, in fact I don't find them that pleasant to use due to the differently distributed resistance the air gives). And secondly, there is just one level of resistance, it is beautifully simple. While others may not be daunted by the array of settings, and endless ways in which you can customise those settings to your own preferences found in most gym equipment, I am! The only variables are how fast you row and how long for, which makes establishing an exercise routine more accessible I think.

As I say - beautifully simple.

Chefmate - 9cm Mini Milk Pan 9 cm Mini Milk Pan. Purple
Chefmate - 9cm Mini Milk Pan 9 cm Mini Milk Pan. Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 6 Nov 2011
Lovely little pan, it is very lightweight and is non-stick, which is pretty much essential if there's a chance of your letting milk boil in it. I bought the blue one, it is a particularly pleasant colour.

Postage & packing-wise, note that Amazon is not the cheapest place around for this product, so shop around.

Hercules GSP39WB Wall Mountable Guitar Hanger
Hercules GSP39WB Wall Mountable Guitar Hanger
Offered by 1to1music
Price: 9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but why the arms?, 25 Oct 2011
I bought this for my classical guitar and generally it does the job fine. But, unless I'm missing something, the idea of turning arms seems to be something of a gimmick. As long as the wall my guitar is attached does not tilt forward, endangering my poor instrument, I can't see any reason I'll ever be thankful for their service. But to be fair, there must be a reason people like this feature, albeit one that doesn't affect me. Maybe if you're in an environment where stuff is likely to get knocked about if not secured properly, this'd be something of a godsend.

My only other issue with the product (again to do with the arms, sorry!) is that the turning parts of the arms would ideally not be bare plastic, but rubber/foam-coated so you can be a bit more carefree when removing and replacing the instrument.

But it's good value for money and it feels sturdy and strong. You probably won't regret buying it even if you share my gripes about it, because it does what it's meant to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2014 10:22 AM BST

Silverline VC43 T-Bar Sash Cramp 900mm
Silverline VC43 T-Bar Sash Cramp 900mm
Price: 16.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Oct 2011
One is always taking a gamble buying Silverline products, and my experience and that of many, many others has taught me that the odds aren't in your favour. In short it's a dodgy make.

I haven't had the problems other reviewers have had with paint flaking off (yet!) probably because I haven't really used the clamp yet as such.

It's not fantastically constructed, (that sort of goes without saying with Silverline products) but I was prepared to overlook that if it had done the job. But it only half does - the leeway of the screw part of the clamp is about half that between the holes along the rail, so there are certain lengths of workpiece the clamp just won't cater for, e.g. anything between 35.5 and 40.5 cm.

I probably won't return it because of the hassle that'll entail, and will try to solve the problem by adding wood blocks to the jaw if and when the situation of workpieces of a length it can't handle arises, but had I known of this design fault I wouldn't have gone anywhere near it.

DO NOT BUY - spend a few extra quid and get something that ruddy works!!

Irwin Pullsaw - Dovetail 185mm 22TPI
Irwin Pullsaw - Dovetail 185mm 22TPI
Price: 12.58

5.0 out of 5 stars A better concept of saw., 7 Jun 2011
I bought this having heard about Japanese pull saws and thinking they sounded a more intuitive solution than cutting on the push. This saw is probably the most affordable pull saw out there and despite the fact that I've never tried one of the pricier ones, I don't imagine there'd be too much difference. It is the best saw I have used, smooth and fast; I don't think I'll be buying any Western saws after finding out about these little gems. Also, having no back, you can use it with a saw guide to ensure absolute precision. Would thoroughly recommend.

There Will Be Blood OST
There Will Be Blood OST
Price: 12.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the full soundtrack, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: There Will Be Blood OST (Audio CD)
This only contains the music by Jonny Greenwood from the motion-picture, there's no album containing the full soundtrack, which is a real shame. The music by Greenwood, although grandiose, atmospheric etc. is too heavygoing to listen to on its own I thought. The tracks I wanted aren't on this album, so if you want the more melodic, listenable numbers, I guess look elsewhere, but where I don't know!

The Gilded Canopy: Botanical Ceiling Panels of the Natural History Museum
The Gilded Canopy: Botanical Ceiling Panels of the Natural History Museum
by Sandra Knapp
Price: 11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 6 Jun 2010
I noticed the beautiful botanically illustrated ceiling in the Natural History Museum's main hall for the first time on a recent visit and coincidentally at the time was on the lookout for exactly that sort of imagery for decorating a piece of furniture I made. With very low optimism I googled the ceiling to see if I could find anything in the way of images. And lo and behold I find whole book dedicated to it!

The book is beautifully designed and set out and generously illustrated. Extremely fascinating reading too - there's information about the planning and building of the museum itself (did you know there were plans for it to be built on the Victoria Embankment, and that it was built in the place of a building renowned for its ugliness?). The explanations for the reasons for the particular choices of plants show you just how much thought and politics went behind its production. You'll appreciate the ceiling all the more knowing that. And all written with a dash of humour and personality - a gem.

Draper Expert 89726 4-Piece Soft-Grip Chisel Set
Draper Expert 89726 4-Piece Soft-Grip Chisel Set
Price: 16.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Echoing what others say..., 30 April 2010
Echoing what others say in their reviews I've got to say I am very pleased with these chisels, remarkable value-for-money. I honed them up (not sold pre-honed) with some Arkansas stone and had great fun knocking out rectangles for hinges with them. If only more things were this good value for money!

Page: 1 | 2