Profile for M. Kirk > Reviews

A Taste of the Lake District
A Taste of the Lake District
by Theodora FitzGibbon

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a nostalgic coffee table book, 23 Feb 2013
I wouldn't overly recommend any of the recipes in the book. They are old fashioned and I think fairly typical of post WWII British substitution cooking with rationing.

That said I'm sure there will be a gem or two hidden away. None the recipes I tried turned out very well at all, and nor did I expect them to after initially trying the 'Hawkeshead biscuits' recipe; which, after reading the recipe again and again and again without working out if I am going wrong anywhere I think is SUPPOSED to turn out like half baked potato gnocci with a bit of lemon... I suppose it was a bit of fun giving it all a go!

It does have it uses; lovely photos and little snippets of nostalgic information on the most beautiful bit of my country.

Worth buying but NOT if you are genuinely looking for a recipe book.

Hugh's Three Good Things
Hugh's Three Good Things
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
Price: 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not an essential, 23 Feb 2013
River Cottage Veg sits in pride of place on my bookshelf, I couldn't live without it!

Whereas I have no major complaint about Hugh's Three Good Things and would recommend you buy it there is no particular dish that I just HAVE to cook once a week until I get it out of my system!

Some really nice combinations but I will probably put it in a dusty corner by the end of this year and it will rarely be disturbed. Still I don't feel my money was wasted!

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me excited about veg!, 23 Feb 2013
I love meat, I love Fruit, I love dairy, and though I have always enjoyed my veg it never excited me in the same way. Let me tell you, it does now!

I even tried just veg recipes from this book for a week and didn't go hungry for a minute. What's more most of the recipes are quite naturally quick too.

Don't think for one minute about that lump of over cooked cauliflower you eat around during your Sunday Lunch at the grandmothers. Soft boiled eggs, new potatoes, tomatoes, chives and an amazing mustard dressing, you won't be missing any flavor in that dish or slaving away at the stove all night.

I never thought I could get so excited over seeing a yellow courgette in the greengrocers!

Captains hat - Size - Adult
Captains hat - Size - Adult
Offered by The 1 Stop Party Shop
Price: 5.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it is, 5 Jan 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Captains hat - Size - Adult (Toy)
This is not as the price dictates a high quality product, but it looks (from afar) just as good as any other similar hat on the market and is durable enough. Exactly what you would expect from a hat for a few quid... was a fun / joke christmas present for my Father, it worked well and he liked it :)

Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
by Daniel Stevens
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, but a word to the wise..., 12 Oct 2011
The information in the book is excellent, you can learn about the 'Science' behind baking bread and there are some really great rustic bread recipes in the book.

On top of learning the science (which every amateur baker should make an effort to do as it will improve your knowledge and the loaves you make) I would give it a 4 out of 5 for illustrations, though some very technical kneeding methods such as that for ciabatta that are not illustrated really should be.

It gives an excellent background for you to get creative too once you've learned the basics or are already a decent baker! Potential combinations of seeds and what honey will do to your bread, cheese, olives, oats, bran etc... The book makes it clear, you can add what you want, as long as you stick to certain formulas.

The basic bread formula it gives you i.e. 100% flour, 60% liquid, 1% yeast, 2% fat means that you can from now on go at it without a recipe if need be. Information like this is what the book is all about for your first/new bakers. If you have some experience this may be nothing totally new, infact I actually found 1% yeast does not work very well at all for me, I am used to using between 3% - 5% yeast and have never found the bread yeasty or over proved as the book promises you it will be. I don't believe though that this issue will over hamper the new bakers as stated earlier.

However there are recipes in the book that are done far less technically and i believe far tastier elsewhere. The ciabatta recipe for example is very over complicated and uses semolina in equal proportion to flour - I've never seen this before and the huge day or so's worth of effort required to make it does not justify the results when you can do half the work with another recipe to get something just as good if not better.

Though the author is clearly a talented baker, he is not a professional and though his general knowledge some of the specifics are not there. For example he suggests you add almost exclusively liquid fat (i.e. melted butter or animal fat) to your bread where the professionals often suggest you rub in your butter as it stabilizes the glutton (or something sciency like that anyway).

If you've never baked bread and are desperate to try it and get your bread to a good level then BUY THIS BOOK, it is essential for you!!! It gives the best background of any baking book I have read along with the tools to be moderately succesful from your first or second bake. If you're looking for something very detailed and technical (i.e. you've been baking for a few years like me) it is not such an essential purchase, I would though still recommend it as it is a great read and still gives some useful tips, advice (such as using yogurt for white bread; makes it very soft!)and recipes. It will not however be ground breaking, and may not improve upon or replace any recipes you already have/use.

Conquest
Conquest
by Stewart Binns
Price: 3.50

1.0 out of 5 stars So terribly written I felt compelled the write this much!, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: Conquest (Paperback)
Similarly to other reviewers I bought the book because I fancied a read about something new and the price of 3.47 from my book store seemed like a good deal for what sounded like could be an entertaining read on an interesting era of British History. I believe there is a very good reason that this book is cheap as it's not the best read. At least I have learned that I would rather send 7.99 on a Cornwell or Igulden or Forester classic than utterly waste 3.47 on this rubbish.
One of the other reviewers has said 'Don't be put off by the few 1 star reviews'. Maybe he was accidentally reviewing another book because there are 18 1 star reviews, more than any other rating. I would suggest it is 1 star for a reason.
The characters are one dimensional and remain undeveloped up to around page 300 were I stopped reading due to my actually being offended by the destruction of what I assume is meant to be a plot. For example; "You can make love to me tonight" says the hero's female companion dramatically about a paragraph and a half after the reader is introduced to the new character. To this the hero reply's "I've got a feeling I'm going to spend the rest of my life entranced with you". How wooden, how obvious!
The author also seems to be trying to jam pack as many historical figures as he can into each page as it isn't long before suddenly this famous king or that famous pope or that famous event occurs which is fair enough when cornwell does it, but Binn's does it badly and far far too often.
This is a very interesting period in British and world history and it has been murdered by very 'rushed' and muddled story telling and a complete lack of literary talent.
I can only assume that the author has paid off the people who have written positive reviews or perhaps he opens different amazon accounts and writes them himself.
Oh and Stewart if you're reading, don't quit your day job and DON'T WRITE ANOTHER BOOK!

Vincebus Eruptum/Outsideinside
Vincebus Eruptum/Outsideinside

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Addictive!, 30 Aug 2006
I do agree to some extent with the previous reviewer, i.e. it could have been produced better, and 1 or 2 tracks are a bit repetitive with each other. But thats were i stop agreeing. Because i have neva heard so much energy and originality on 2 albums, especially for mid 60s! These guys invented heavy metal, but with more of a psycedelic, early garage sound. The very sound of these guys overpower your senses. Thats thanks to Leigh stevens the guitarist who went deaf! These guys are loud, and heavy, distinctive and very groovy!!!!

Im addicted to Out of Focus which though simple is probably the best rhythm i have ever heard! The solo is strange in parts, but the lyrics, and rhythm are just my thing anyway!

I would recommend this band to anyone! Also listen to "NEW!IMPROVED!" there 3rd album featuring 2 randy holden guitar tracks "Peace of Mind" and "Fruit and Icebergs" two songs in blue cheer style and executed with excellent taste!

Buy It!!!!!

Psychedelic Lollipop
Psychedelic Lollipop
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 10.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album!, 7 Aug 2006
This review is from: Psychedelic Lollipop (Audio CD)
I wouldn't say that this is a must have album and apparently not The Blues Magoos best. But as a first album its a pretty good place to start for any psyceldelic rock/pop group. Songs like 'We ain't got nothin' yet' and 'Tobacco Road'and especially 'I'll go Crazy' are catchy and make good listening for you pre Led Zeppelin/Blue Cheer rock fans, and tracks like 'Love Seems Doomed' and 'One by One' (which the group beleived was the strongest song on the album)are good pop songs with a psycedelic flavour.

For me though the albums true strengths are the two mainly blues orientated songs 'Worried Life Blues' and especially 'Sometimes I Think About' which are full of nice riffs and good feeling, theres something about the sorrowful way 'Sometimes I think About' is sung which adds strength to the song.

All in all a good album, and I'm not at all sorry I bought it, but it may be aquired listening for some people, so not to everybody's taste.

Blues Breakers
Blues Breakers
Price: 16.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 14 July 2006
This review is from: Blues Breakers (Audio CD)
I bought this album because I was told it was an essential for a blues lover, which I found was more than true. It is essential for music lovers everywhere, I cannot pick a favourite song because number after number the music is entertaining and lively. Every song seems to be electrified and unique, due in no small part to Claptons brilliant guitar playing. I would rate this well above disraeli gears, and id give that 5 stars aswell.