Profile for Wingless Angel > Reviews

First Spring Grass Fire
First Spring Grass Fire
by Rae Spoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 15 July 2014
Very occasionally a book will come along and its impact stays with you long after you’ve finished reading. First Spring Grass Fire does just that. It has a raw emotional intensity that manages to captivate the reader. Rae Spoon’s stories are at once compelling, intense, humorous and heartfelt. I would recommend this book whole heartedly, it’s simply brilliant.

Elegance Coupe Champagne Glasses 5.6oz / 160ml - Pack of 12 | Champagne Saucers, Champagne Coupe Glasses
Offered by Care Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect vintage chic, 18 Dec 2012
I ordered these glasses to use on Christmas day and they are perfect. These are not the very tall modern champagne glasses that you can purchase, they are short stemmed and exactly like a 1950s champagne glass should be. Elegant design and great quality for the price. I really can't fault them.

Popcorn: Fifty Years of Rock 'n' Roll Movies
Popcorn: Fifty Years of Rock 'n' Roll Movies
by Garry Mulholland

1.0 out of 5 stars I needed a doorstop..., 15 Oct 2012
If I could give this book zero stars I would. I'm suprised this book managed to get published (I can only assume it was because of Mulholland's journalistic credits). Here you have a collection of petty, biased and nonsensical ramblings by an arrogant hack. You will learn nothing about the actual films other than Mulholland's own half-baked opinions. When he does criticise something, he doesn't even have the academic know how or intelligence to back up his argument with anything resembling fact.

Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds and Actions
Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds and Actions
by Guy Kawasaki

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick to read but pointless, 22 Aug 2012
Firstly, I should start by saying I bought this book because it was on the reading list for a degree course, it's not something I chose to read myself. Quite why a book about business was on the reading list for a Digital Publishing course, I will never know but anyway, there are very few plus points here. The book is easy to read and I found the chapters quick to get through but hardly any of the information stayed in my memory. I don't feel I learnt anything that you couldn't find in a leaflet for free and if like most people, you've spent some time in the working world, it's fairly standard stuff. Worst of all, it is packed full of really annoying Americanisms, such as 'one of the guys'. As a somewhat cynical Brit, rest assured, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than work for a company that wanted me to be 'one of the guys'. If you're buying this out of want rather than need, I'm sure there are much better books on which to spend your money.

Essential Maths for GCSE - with Exam Practice and Revision Foundation Level
Essential Maths for GCSE - with Exam Practice and Revision Foundation Level
by Mark Bindley

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 20 Oct 2009
I am not normally one to write reviews on this site but I do feel that people should be warned about this title incase they are going to purchase it. I orignally purchased this several years ago when first sitting my Maths GCSE. Recently, after planning to re-sit the exam, I decided to use this book to help me. What a shame! I am only just starting with this book and already I have discovered no less than FIVE WRONG ANSWERS!! As I am being tutored they have been checked and they are indeed wrong. Add to the mix badly set out pages with unclear digrams, charts and tables, complete with confusing, often overly complex questions (for the sake of it, not at any benefit to the student) and you have an appalling study aid. Do yourself a favour and buy something better, possibly published by the exam board you are taking your Maths GCSE with.

Dolphins [DVD] [2009]
Dolphins [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Karl Davies
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars As enjoyable as anything Hollywood can offer..., 24 Mar 2009
This review is from: Dolphins [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Dolphins had been in the pipeline for some time and so I was pleased to see it finally being given a DVD release. After talk of the directors cut being better than (this) the shorter version, I was wondering if this film wouldn't turn out to be anything great but I was pleasantly surprised. The film depicts the different sides of Brighton's youth culture very well, particularly the illegal street racing world of its main character Brent Black, played by Karl Davies. I found myself really warming to the character of Brent as the film went on and I wanted him to `win' as it were, against his opposite and arch rival, the immature and selfish rock star, Lawrence Ray (played by Layke Anderson). In fact I began to utterly despise the character of Lawrence by the end of the film, testament to the quality of the acting surely? As I knew the actor very well several years ago, so to create a character as loathsome as Lawrence Ray was impressive. Having said that, the world of Lawrence and his girlfriend and lead female Ophelia James, was exciting, charged and royally screwed up...exactly what you'd want from someone attempting to pursue the rock n roll dream.
Do I have any criticisms? Yes, a few. Namely I believe the characters of Brent's Dad and brother were miscast. His Dad looked far too young to have a son Brent's age (which I assume to be eighteen or nineteen) His father's alcoholism was never addressed really, apart from being touched upon when a counselor called at the house saying he hadn't been to rehab for awhile, then it was hurriedly forgotten about. As for the character of Brent's brother, if he was supposed to be a bit mentally disabled, then the part was played really well with a good deal of skill, if not, the actor cast was laughably too old for the part he was supposed to be playing. Good cameo from Roots Manuva as Mr Smile though.
Also, without spoiling a big event in the film, I was left wondering after such an event whether you'd ever want to drive again, let alone modify cars or street race?

Overall this film was made with a limited budget, using mostly little known actors and is just as engaging as anything with triple the budget made in Hollywood. In fact it would loose some of its grittiness if were set anywhere other than Brighton I believe. Enjoyable, well worth a watch and no you don't have to be a street racer or a rock god to enjoy it...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2009 3:22 PM BST