Profile for Jon Dev > Reviews

Content by Jon Dev

Jon Dev

Who Do You Think You Are? Family Tree Maker Version 4 (PC) New Version

1.0 out of 5 stars Who Do You Think You Are? Family Tree Maker version 4, 12 May 2011
Who Do You Think You Are? Family Tree Maker Version 4 (PC) New Version

If you already have the 2006 version of this program then hang on to it and keep using it. This latest updated version bears no resemblance to the superb original !!

I bought this because although my old 2006 version loaded and ran OK on my new Windows 7 64 bit PC, I was unable to export files and charts to Acrobat Reader, which could then be sent to friends etc whose family trees I had researched. The screen layout and navigation is completely different (and not as easy to use) and the Family Tree charts are very limited.

There is no "All-In-One" tree - as on the 2006 version, and the Family Tree view on this latest version is pathetic.

Needless to say I am not impressed - in fact downright annoyed - and would not recommend this to anyone who has the 2006 version. It's only virtue is it's price !! It may be OK for someone just starting out on family tree research, who will probably accept the poor chart layouts.

Why, why, why do software designers have to mess about with winning products - just update them as neccessary when our beloved Microsoft have to foist yet another operating system on the poor customers. I was quite happy with Windows XP, as were millions of others - but then came Vista (joke) and now Windows 7. No wonder Microsoft make such huge profits !!!!!!!!!