Profile for GWR802 > Reviews

Hawksmoor at Home: Meat - Seafood - Sides - Breakfasts - Puddings - Cocktails
by Huw Gott
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Steak to die for, now at home!, 14 Oct 2011
I've never written a book review until now. That said, I never wrote to a restaurant thanking them for their approach to food and service until we visited Hawksmoor(Spitalfields) during April of this year on our 25th wedding anniversary. So. there's two firsts.

The book arrived this morning, having seen the review in the Telegraph and placed a pre-order with Amazon. What I like about it is that it delivers a passionate message, in a simple and straightforward manner. It gives the background and the rationale for the way things are done in the kitchen. It has a simple message, if you want good meat, start at the beginning, and ask yourself; am I buying good meat? Is it from a butcher as opposed to a uniformly shaped, wrapped tray from a chilled aisle in an over-lit bogof supermarket? How many of us actually ask the butcher simple questions such as "what did it eat when it lived; grass?" The book takes you back to basics with meat, and provides the methodology to produce something quite exceptional. Add seafood,fowl, desserts and cocktails, and you have the complete story at home. The No 7 recipe for Bloody Mary, with gin will no doubt get a bashing this Saturday.

Finally, the book gives an insight and flavour of the friendliness of the team. There was a mix up with our table booking. A potential disaster on a special occasion was taken in their stride, with a drink at the bar, and a table was ready for us within no time. The bar was entertaining and lively, and the steak was to die for.

In summary, the book is a good insight into the fundamentals of good food, and how to run an exceptional restaurant. Most of all, it portrays both the passion for excellence, and the humanistic approach of all involved. I can thoroughly recommend the book, and the restaurants. Just need the Tee Shirt now!