Profile for David Conlin > Reviews

Content by David Conlin

David Conlin "The Shutterbug" (Liverpool, England)

The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Adventures of Robin Hood

2.0 out of 5 stars American author?, 1 Mar 2011
The book, on the whole, was sort of fun. The archaic language did make it more authentic, but one repeatedly used word which constantly screamed 'American writer' was the word GOTTEN. This is a word which is only commonly used by American, or very bad English authors, and is very unfortunately, in recent years, finding its way into into our lovely English tongue.
Also, his references to Malmsey wine, if memory serves, can only be discribed as inaccurate. The book is set in the 1200s, but Malmsey, or Madiera wine only came into being in the 1400s.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2013 11:28 PM BST

Mort: (Discworld Novel 4) (Discworld Novels)
Mort: (Discworld Novel 4) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Death takes a holiday?, 20 Jan 2010
I own every book by Terry Pratchett and I freely admit that they are pretty well all un-put-downable. Mort is one of the earliest Pratchett books I read and I was hooked. My second favourite is, I think, Night watch, but as for Mort, 'Not BOY, Mort!' Superb, funny, brilliant, sad, hilarious. Pratchett at his best.
'I could murder a curry'. HA. Incredible line.

My Life with George: The Inspirational Story of How a Wilful Dog Brought Joy to a Bereaved Family
by Judith Summers
Price: 6.72

5.0 out of 5 stars I've lived with George - well, Georgette, anyway, 20 Jan 2010
My daughter gave me this book a weeks or so ago. She is the hand-servant of a little lady Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, whose name is Charlotte, or Lottie, and who unlike George, was trained from a puppy. She is however, just like George, a very strong-minded and strong-willed little dog. The book is beautifully written, happy, sad, expressive, and tells a tale that only a Cav owner could tell. The book also includes a short, potted history of the breed which is quite interesting.
I had Cavaliers myself some year ago, and when my favourite dog Penny died at 8 and a half years, with the same heart problem suffered by George, I was devastated. As described in the book, they are an expensive item to run, but train them early, and they will never disappoint.
Lovely little book; lovely little dogs.

Under the Dome
Under the Dome
by Stephen King

1.0 out of 5 stars Under the dome? Under the weather, more like, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Under the Dome (Hardcover)
Having read some of the reviews of this book, I had to check the title in order to ensure that I was reading the same book. This is, without any doubt whatever, the most put-downable book I've ever owned. I started reading it just after Christmas, having been given the book as a present. So far, I'm still only halfway - or so - through it. In between, I've read four books. My life with George: The second book in the last chronicles of Thomas Covenant, a brilliant novel of Wilbur Smith's and the thought provoking Noughts and Crosses. If I'm suffering rampant ennui one day, I might give it another go.
Half the time is spent trying to discover the meaning of obscure Americanisms, and his use of 'gotten' is legend. The only time the word seems to be used is either in normal American literature, or bad English literature. Words like Got, received, achieved, acquired, caught, etc., all go by the board and are replaced with the ubiquitous gotten, and I'm afraid that after a while, you tend to search them out, counting them on each page, and cringing when they are discovered, lurking in dark little corners, awaiting the unwary reader.
Not for me, I'm afraid. I'll wait until his books come out in English English
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2010 1:32 PM BST

Jazz Collection
Jazz Collection
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Glen Miller Jazz Collection, 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: Jazz Collection (Audio CD)
I was left two sealed, un-opened copied of this double CD when my father-in-law died. I just assumed that they were standard recordings, but reading the lists of tracks shown Amazon, they bear scant resemblance to the lists on my copies. Lots of tunes are as listed on the Amazon listed CDs, but some are different and in different order. The bar code tallies exactly with mine, but the title on mine is 'Jazz Collection' Glenn Miller. There is no mention of 'Army Air Force Band/War Broadcasts'. Does anyone have any info which can throw a light on this recording?

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever: "Lord Foul's Bane", "Illearth War" and "Power That Preserves"
by Stephen Donaldson
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The Thomas Covenant series, 7 Mar 2009
It was so many years ago that I first read and became hooked on the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I had a hard-back version of the first trilogy which actually fell apart after what must have been the tenth or so read. The second trilogy was all paper-backs and they went the same way. There was also an out-take called Koric's tale which I had, but which for some reason, seems to have ceased to exist. I'm on the end of Fatal Revenant, the second book of the last chronicles now, and I've ordered the first two trilogies again. They are superb novels, and once you get past Donaldson's penchant for obscure words, (actually, sometimes I wonder if he makes some of them up) the books truly are a cracking read. The characters bounce out of the pages, larger than life; the giants especially, and while Covenant plays the total anti-hero, he comes back with the goods, making the supreme sacrifice in order to do so.
I love good fantasy - and this series rates among the best.

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: Wounded Land / One Tree / White Gold Wielder
by Stephen Donaldson
Price: 12.72

5.0 out of 5 stars The entire chronicles, 6 Jan 2009
One of the reviewers of this series states that Donaldson is a storyteller rather than an author; this could not be closer to the truth. The stories are brilliant, well thought out and very well written. Covenant is an objectionable sod at first - well - at last, too. The characters leap out of the pages at the reader; the giants are - well, giants. Larger than life characters who could not be nicer people: articulate, erudite, creative and above all, faithful to the death. In the second chronicles, when Covenant meets the Giants of the search, he is so overcome with emotion, and the description of his emotion is such that I wept with him.
The Haruchi, the Bloodguard, are so stoic, so unyielding, that you wish you could shake a little humanity into them, yet in the end, they are far more human than could be imagined. There is total good in his books, just as there is total evil. Every extreme of human emotion is laid bare.
One book I read, yet never see advertised, is Koric's tale, an out-take of the First Chronicles. It really is quite short, but serves to give the reader an insight into the personality of a superb character; a major character, yet one who loses out in the first trilogy, whether to a shortage of space at the time, or because he was, very mistakenly, ruled out as a major player when the book was first written.

Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD]
Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Mis-casting in the Hogfather, 15 Jun 2008
Like most of the people who watched the film 'The Hogfather', I enjoyed the story-line and the special effects; the problems start, I'm afraid, with the casting of Albert (David Jason). While I am aware that a big name will 'pull' watchers, and there are not many names bigger than Jason's, I don't really believe that Terry Pratchett needs this. His name, and his writing, stand on their own. As an avid, or as my wife and kids say, fanatical reader of Pratchett, I can envisage people (actors)who would be perfect in the roles of characters written by this brilliant author, and David Jason is NOT and never could be Albert. The obvious choice - or choices - would have been either Eric Sykes, or the Hogwart's school caretaker in the Harry Potter films. For heaven's sake, David Jason does not resemble in any way, shape, or form, the character written by Pratchett: he would, however, make a great garden gnome.
By the way, Susan Sto Hellit and Mr Teatime the assassin were perfectly cast, and I loved the little cameo at the end which featured Terry Pratchett himself as the toy-shop owner.
The same mistake has been made in 'The colour of magic'. What on earth induced the film makers to cast David Jason as Rincewind? Look at all of the Pratchett illustrations which show Rincewind, and tell me that there is any physical resemblance. Jason is a brilliant actor; I have no problem with that. His reputation and acting abilities are legend: but casting directors should get a grip and first try reading the books they make into films.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2008 6:26 PM GMT

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter 5): 5/7
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter 5): 5/7
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Book versus film, 26 July 2007
The book, I thought, was excellent. True, it did need a little pruning, but not nearly as much as the film received. Far too much was removed, and too many facts were changed. While the overall quality of the making of the film - photo effects, and atmosphere - was really good, I was left very disappointed after watching the film. I left the cinema feeling as if I'd been short-changed. I've read every Harry Potter book, and watched all of the films so far, but sad to say, this film left a lot to be desired.