Profile for Rustychain > Reviews

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
by Daniel C. Dennett
Price: 7.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Too lengthy, 3 Feb 2012
At its best, this book is terrific. The author manages to hit some great heights with this book, but it's just too long.
About twice as long as it needs to be, actually. He quotes endlessly from other authors, often the same ones over & over.
I'm left thinking "If they can come up with such great one-liners, maybe I should be reading their works"!
Too long, too windy, too long to build up to the punch line.
With a better editor it could have been a terrific, shorter, book.
As it is? 2 stars from me.

Why I Am Not a Christian: Four Conclusive Reasons to Reject the Faith
Why I Am Not a Christian: Four Conclusive Reasons to Reject the Faith
Price: 2.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!, 24 Jan 2012
This book, although short, is one of the best things that I've read. Yes, really.
It is so overwhelmingly compelling in its argument that it seems impossible that any intelligent Christian could read it and not have their illusions shattered.
Of course, none will read it and the author is pushing against an open door with me, but unlike almost every "God / No god" argument that I've read, this one is so powerful, so dispassionate and so well argued that it's hard to imagine anyone disagreeing with it!
I can't recommend it highly enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 12:52 PM GMT

Lying (Kindle Single)
Lying (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth [] of anyone's money, 27 Sep 2011
I came across Sam Harris a year or so ago with The End Of Faith being my (fantastic) introduction.
He's a very clever, well written guy. With TEOF he was preaching to the converted with me but his arguments were sophisticated beyond any modest writing abilities that I might have.
I then started to follow his blog which in turn led me to Lying. It was the first ebook that I've bought, so that was quite exciting by itself.
It's short enough to be read in one sitting but that doesn't mean it's skimpy. It's profound, though-provoking, fresh and at times very funny ("As it happens, I had"). It made me question many events in my life and to look to the future with renewed optimism.
That can't be bad for []!