Profile for K. B. Bruun > Reviews

Content by K. B. Bruun

K. B. Bruun (Norway)

Working in the Wild Land Rover's Manual for Africa: Owners Manual (Working in the wild: manual for Africa)
by Brooklands Books Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars For the Landy-fan - and the beginner, 25 April 2010
This book is great for the complete beginner. A very nice introduction to the most wonderful and charming farming vehicle also made for desert driving!

Even though I live in the cold north, this book is full of practical tips that suits me. For instance: how to drive when you're off road, what's wrong, doctor? (The doctor is in this case the book.)

I notice that quite a lot of my fellow Land Rover-owners and Land Rover-admirers now think that I know a lot about what may have caused things, and how to fix it.

As a woman I appreciate being taken seriously, especially if I have to give in, and send my dear Defender off to professionals. (Once I had to show the service man where the battery is located in a Defender ...)

Learn Excel 2007 Expert skills With The Smart Method: Courseware Tutorial teaching Advanced Techniques
by Mike Smart

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight on!, 25 April 2010
I teach Excel, and found this book very useful. "Learn Excel 2007 Expert skills" is for those who know their way around in Excel. NOT for beginners! (As the title indicates.)

It's a great book for the right audience: to the point. It's up to you and your time schedule if you want to read the extra information. The "extras" and in-depth are placed so you may choose to read it.

If you complete each lesson, you'll become a resource for your company!

Flash MX 2004 Games: Art to ActionScript
Flash MX 2004 Games: Art to ActionScript
by Nik Lever

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 23 Jan. 2005
I thought the book would teach and show me how to write actionscript for games.
I'm so disappointed. The games are slow, they lack logic, like in the reversi-version (othello), where the computer's allowed to do illegal moves, you can also remove the pieces you don't want on the board, etc.
I tried the demos online, and concluded that this book is nothing I can use for my purpose: creating games people will come back to play again.
I think I'll stick to Gary Rosenzweig, he's code is much more effective, and the games WORK!

Macromedia Flash Actionscripting: Advanced Training from the Source (Maths for Africa)
by Derek Franklin

5.0 out of 5 stars No non-sense, good for programmers, 17 Dec. 2002
I've turned to this book as I prepare for my Flash Developer exam. It's better for this purpose than the others that I own (and I own a few).
The book is very informative, also on subjects that are not so very well known. This is really "from the source", as far as I can see.
The files provided look really nice, which is important for (my) motivation. The lessons are well built up, the book explains in forehand, and summarizes at the end of each chapter. The way of presenting the material is clear most of the times. Could have been better on pointing out excactly where we shall put this piece of code - "keep on from previous step" is not the best way for a "skimmer" like me.
And it's ADVANCED! It's not for beginners to Flash, you don't start out with learning how to draw and converting objects to symbols etc. Of course there's some elementary stuff in this book too, if you're a seasoned programmer, but you'll learn of many Flash-specific issues while doing the excercises/skimming the eventually well known parts.

Sams Teach Yourself Macromedia Dreamweaver MX in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself Macromedia Dreamweaver MX in 24 Hours
by Betsy Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for beginners, 24 Aug. 2002
I bought this book for my upcoming class in Dreamweaver MX. (I'm the instructor.)
I think it does exactly what I want it to do, teaching people Macromedia Dreamweaver MX in 24 hours - or lessons.
The concept of Teach yourself in 24 hours is very good for my purpose. My students get a book for continuing their work after my class, and the book is full of explanations that make it possible for them to go on without an instructor.
I also like the 24-hours-books for my own sake, I think I learn something each time I prepare a class.
This book doesn't mention how to connect to databases and so on, as it explains in the introduction: it's outside the scope of this book.
Connecting to databases IS a bit advanced. You need to know a bit about databases, servers, and you need to choose a language, like vb-script (for active server pages), javascript, php, what-ever-Cold Fusion-uses.
I bet there'll be a 24-hours book on the database/dynamic pages coming rather soon, now that Ultra Dev's included in Dreamweaver.
I think the book is a good choice.

Flash 5 Dynamic Content Studio (Designer to designer)
Flash 5 Dynamic Content Studio (Designer to designer)
by Phil Piper

3.0 out of 5 stars Not MY best cup of tea, but..., 25 Jun. 2002
This book didn't exactly meet MY needs, but that said, it's a very broad one. It covers different topics, like PHP, ASP, Access Database, MY SQL, elementary Flash-ing (on the fly, but still), etc.
I have only had time to look deeply into the access/asp-part, and that doesn't give the hungry one much to chew on. For my own sake, I'd liked more, more examples, more on how to pass and receive between Flash and the ASP-page.
Maybe I am just not the target audience...

Macromedia Flash 5 ActionScript Fun and Games
Macromedia Flash 5 ActionScript Fun and Games
by Gary Rosenzweig

5.0 out of 5 stars Started me off with action script!, 25 Jun. 2002
This book is the reason why I today do action scripts, and give Flash classes!
I think you're better off with some experience in programming f. i. java script, or at least some programming experience, before you use this book. I would not recommend it to complete beginners. That said: this book is created by a programmer, as one might see. The way of coding is intelligent, and I think it's a must-have for those who want to get good habits when programming action script.

Sams Teach Yourself Macromedia Flash in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself Macromedia Flash in 24 Hours
by Phillip Kerman

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of tips and useful facts, 25 Jun. 2002
I bought this book for my upcoming Flash MX introductory class after having read some of the reviews here. I've been working through the lessons for the last two days, and am very impressed. This book is the first one on Flash that I myself has learnt much from, both regarding the program it teaches, and also - not less important - the general tips regarding sounds, animation, file size.
This is a very good book for beginners. You get good habits initially, and you learn what the veterans use years of trying-and-failing(-and-loosing-customers) on.
I have not yet found anything that's wrong in this book, no errors. (At the present I'm preparing hour 11)
There might be some minor stuff, like not mentioning ALL the ways of doing things, but that's not important before you go for certification as Flash Designer or Developer.
My recommendations!

Photoshop 6 for Windows Bible
Photoshop 6 for Windows Bible
by Deke McClelland

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, 23 May 2001
I am an Adobe Certified Expert in Photoshop 5 & 6. I really recommend this book, not because it is such fun reading it, but because there are lots and lots of useful information! As a pro I need to be up front in knowledge. I use this book for sparetime-reading - just to learn more - and as a reference if I encounter a problem that needs fast solving.

Photoshop 6 Web Magic
Photoshop 6 Web Magic
by Jeff Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 23 May 2001
This review is from: Photoshop 6 Web Magic (Paperback)
This book is great! I like spending time with my laptop in bed - and with this book I can even eat - virtually: chocolate, cheeze doodles, cakes, candy... This book (and this series) is project-oriented. Each chapter is a project, with screenshots that explain and show how to accomplish the goals for each matter. The book doesn't explain deeply what is really going on "behind the scenes", you know: why everything happens and so on, but it clearly explains HOW to achieve this or that effect. This is a very good way to get familiar with such a complicated programme that Photoshop has become, learning by doing. The book comes with a CD that contains the necessary files and a bit more.