Profile for James > Reviews

Battlefield 4 (PS4)
Battlefield 4 (PS4)
Offered by Lindot

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to like it so much more!, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
Before I begin I want to let you know that I love Battlefield, and have done since Battlefield 2 on PS2. Bad company 2 was a particular highlight for the series and showcased what could be done with current gen consoles. I would also like to point out that my rating is only really based on the multiplayer (as that's what Battlefield is all about right?).

So why only 3 stars? Firstly, it's now over 3 months from the game's release and bugs are still very visible. For example there is always a good minute at the start of each game where I have no audio, hardly game-breaking I know, but still an annoyance and unacceptable really for publishers with the budget of EA. Another, much more serious bug, is the intermittent lag that is very frequent in 64 player games, even though I have a rock solid 60mbps fibre connection, which my PS4 is hard-wired in to. It happens even though I only go on games hosted in europe and the best ping. The game isn't broken by any stretch, it's just not what it could be.

This is all the more annoying, as when this game works it's fantastic. When you're in a helicopter gunning people down in a 64 player conquest game, all at a silky smooth 60 fps it is breathtaking. However these moments are all too rare, and the game could be improved so much by ironing out the bugs.

However, the bugs aren't all that is keeping this game from greatness. Some design choices seem to be contradictory to what battlefield is all about - playing with your mates in a squad!! DICE have decided that it used to be far to easy to play with your buddies (all joining a pre-game lobby and then going into a game as a squad on the same team), and have now made it so that you have to go into into a game separately and then use the in-game menu to all join the same squad. Words cannot even describe how stupid and ill-conceived this idea is. Firstly, half the time when you join you get put on the opposite team to your friends - meaning you have to quit and rejoin and endure the lengthy loading screen once more. You then have to repeat this procedure until you finally get on the right team - hoping that the game doesn't fill up before you do.

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who loves battlefield, or anyone who likes fps games and has some patience - Battlefield will reward you greatly!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2014 10:42 AM BST

Solo Red American Plastic Party Cups 16oz / 473ml - Pack of 50
Solo Red American Plastic Party Cups 16oz / 473ml - Pack of 50
Offered by Creston

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic House Party Cups!, 27 Jan 2014
Yes, they are just cups, however they do everything you could want from one for a party. They are a nice large size so you don't have to keep refilling your cups every 5 minutes, as well as having handy drink measurement lines - useful for when the stronger stuff comes out! The construction of the cups if also excellent, being very resistant to drops and bangs - if you really wanted you could wash and reuse them! Overall they are well worth the price tag, and you will get many compliments about them I assure you!

Oakley Airbrake Men's Ski Goggles-Jet Black/Fire Iridium & Persimmon
Oakley Airbrake Men's Ski Goggles-Jet Black/Fire Iridium & Persimmon

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic goggles!, 27 Jan 2014
These goggles may not be cheap by any stretch of the imagination, however I would still argue that they are good value for money. As someone who has been skiing pretty much since they have been able to walk I have been through a fair few pairs of goggles. Before this pair I have, with the exception of my previous pair, always used cheap £20-30 goggles which always did the job (but no more!). My previous pair were Dragon DX goggles, which I believe you can still purchase and these cost me £70 when I bought them about 4 years ago. These were okay, however I didn't feel that they really justified the price relative to the £30 ones.

This brings me to these Oakley Airbrake goggles, which with an RRP of £200 are anything but cheap (although I did snap them up here on Amazon for £140!). I suppose the main reason I was drawn to these particular goggles was the fast changing of goggle lenses. It really is as good as the adverts suggest. The ability to swap lenses without a worry in a gondola (or a chair if you don't mind getting cold hands!) is a revolution in ski googles, and I would wager that it will be on many goggles within 5 years. You really have to have a go at swapping the lenses yourself to appreciate how easy it is. On most goggles you have to (as I'm sure you realise) pry the frame apart to take a lens out, and then with the other lens you have to carefully line up the ridges and holes in order to get it in. This normally takes around 5 minutes. With the Airbrake you simply lift up a lever and push the lens to get it out; and to put a lens in you just slot the lens in on the left side and line the lens up, and then close the lever.

But isn't £100+ extra a bit much to spend on just one feature that simply makes changing lenses a bit easier? Yes, I would definitely agree. However these are not, to use a cliche, a one trick pony. They are sized as such that they will fit virtually any helmet perfectly, ensuring that there is never that awkward gap between the top of the goggles and the helmet (which as well as making you look a fool, also makes your forehead pretty chilly!). They also have bars on each side of the goggles, these are called outriggers and cause less pressure to be exerted on your face by the goggles - preventing any red lines on your face at lunch. It does this by putting the elastic band at such an angle that it pulls on the outriggers and slightly stretches the goggles out. Another common issue with ski goggles is that they slide around your helmet (or head/hat) while your skiing which quickly becomes irritating. Oakley have resolved this by putting very grippy lines of rubber (I think?) on the inside of the elastic strap, preventing any unwanted movement.

Also it should be noted that these goggles are aesthetically brilliant - just flashy enough to get a few jealous looks, but not at all pretentious and look subdued enough to be appropriate for any age bracket. They look especially amazing with the Jet black/fire iridium lens in, which creates a sort of rainbow effect on the lens and I was complimented on my goggles on many occasions on my last ski holiday in December.

Onto the more technical side, the goggles I bought came with the Jet Black/Fire Iridium lens and the Persimmon lens. The iridium lens has a light transmission of 18% I believe and the persimmon has 62% respectively. This makes the iridium lens ideal for sunny days, and the persimmon lens suitable for pretty mud everything else. I had a wide variety of weather on my latest trip, which was ideal to give the lenses a good test. Both lenses are excellent for what they were designed for, and it is perfectly fine to leave an iridium lens on all day on a sunny day (it's fine in the shade). However one thing I would say is that even the persimmon lens was struggling (as you would expect) in a whiteout I experienced over there, although I know that is the nature of the beast as it were, I have been told the 'high-intensity yellow' lens is the best for these conditions. You can purchase this lens from Oakley, however it is £60, making it somewhat of an investment. You could also purchase a set of Airbrake's which include the high-intensity yellow lenses. However I wouldn't really recommend this unless you are a serious skier who is prepared to ski all day no matter the conditions.

The only negative I have found with these goggles is that the lenses are extremely easily scratches - mine have a few small but visible scratches after 6 days of skiing. I also kept good care of them, not leaving on helmet etc. This problem is compounded by the £60 price tag of replacement lenses.

I wouldn't let this stop you buying these goggles though, I reckon they do just enough to justify the high price tag - which is saying something!

Giro Monza Helmet - Silver/White, Medium
Giro Monza Helmet - Silver/White, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent helmet!, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Giro Monza Helmet (Sports)
First things first, this helmet looks the business. The race geometry looks great, and won't look out of place whether you're on a commute to work or in a competitive race. Next, comfort. It's a very comfortable helmet, with an easily adjustable fitting mechanism - there is a dial which you can turn to either increase or decrease the size. There is also lots of airflow into the helmet, helping you to stay cool in warmer weather, although I think there could be even more of this. However, with the winter months almost on us I won't complain too much! Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, safety. When buying a helmet I always buy from a reputable brand, such as Giro, as I think its worth paying a few extra quid for the peace of mind. Anyway, I was in a crash last week and bashed my head (and helmet), and I walked away fine. I am ordering a replacement now.

Overall, a great helmet!

Klipsch Image X10i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Mic for iPhone / iPod - Black
Offered by MP3 Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible., 3 Mar 2013
I found out about these X10i headphones from Klipsch after reading What Hifi's previous 'headphone of the year' awards - with these being the winner in 2010. The review was very favourable, however my issue was the price tag at the time, £250, was out of reach at the time. However, by chance I stumbled across these a couple of months ago and the price was just £122 from Amazon delivered. They had to be bought. Anyway to cut a long story short, these headphones are a steal at this price-point. The sound is very neutral, but still with deep bass when required and refined highs, making for a fantastic listening experience. I listen to a wide variety of genres and I can safely say these headphones are as versatile as headphones get, from house to jazz to rock these can do it all. However, what sets these headphones apart from a very crowded market is the sheer comfort they give the listener. The X10i's are incredibly small and light - it seems impossible that headphones this small can produce such a full and well balanced sound. Comfort wise these are as comfortable as in-ear headphones go, the small size, small weight, and oval-shaped rubber earphone tips (which actually work very well) create an unrivaled seal and comfort level - you'll forget they are in your ears after a couple of minutes! Also note that there are 5 ear tips to choose from in the box, so all but the most oddly shaped ear canals will be catered for. The aesthetics of the headphone should also be mentioned - these headphones look great. Whether in your ears or in front of you, they look contemporary but still smart, avoiding the cheap and nasty looks of some other high-quality headphones. Other reviewers have commented on here have commented about the cables being easy to break, I can't say I've had any problems though, and the headphones come with a 2-year warranty in case something does go wrong. Overall I would whole-heartedly recommend these headphones for those people that like their music, and who like to listen in comfort.

FPUK 3.5mm Mini Jack Stereo to 2 x RCA Phono Adapter GOLD
FPUK 3.5mm Mini Jack Stereo to 2 x RCA Phono Adapter GOLD
Offered by cheap4uk(From hongkong,2-3 weeks delivery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but that doesn't mean that it can't do the job well!, 26 May 2012
At 67p with free postage, I can't say I was overly optimistic about this headphone jack. However my doubts were soon quashed when the item arrived (in a speedy time it has to be said) as I straight away set about installing it. I should say what I'm using it for also, which is that I'm using to get the audio from my Xbox to be decoded by my computer so that the sound from it can come through my speakers. I've done this by using the Xbox's VGA cable which has RCA audio cables - which is what I need this component for. Now the product itself, there is admittedly little that a product like this can do wrong, however it should be noted that for 67p I was expecting at least one fundamental issue with it. The build quality, while its probably not going to blow your mind, is more than adequate for the purpose of what this product does and doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart (always a good sign!). This headphone jack also doesn't cause any noise in the sound, which for me was a major concern at this low price point. The only minor setback for it is that the left and right female inputs should be labeled, although this only takes a few minutes to sort out. Overall, if you need one of these you couldn't spend 67p better!

Pros
- Decent build quality
- No noise added
- Really, really cheap

Cons
- (Very minor) the left and right female inputs are not labelled which means you have to take the 50/50 chance and check it (only a 2 minute job)

For 67p just buy it!

TIGI Bed Head For Men Matte Separation Workable Wax 75g
TIGI Bed Head For Men Matte Separation Workable Wax 75g
Offered by HAIR ANGELS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 14 Jan 2012
I have only very recently discovered this wax, my only wish is that I had discovered it earlier. It gives my, very thick, hair an all day hold while not giving off shine which would make my hair look greasy. The smell of this wax is also very pleasant, which is ideal for me, as I don't want a really strong smell in my hair, I just want something that smells clean. Another positive about this wax, is that it is very easy to wash out, it comes out easily in the shower by just washing your hair normally. It also has some resistance to rain, which although not enough to warrant staying out in the rain for extended periods, is much better than the alternatives. This product really is a bargain at under £8, I have paid double this for far less effective products.
One tip though, I find that applying the wax to towel dried hair (not completely dry, but almost) makes it far easier to style your hair and get the result your looking for, than applying it when your hair is completely dry.

The Good
-Smells pleasant, and not overpowering
-Great hold, even for very thick hair - easily lasts all day, and is restyle-able if your hair get knocked
-This is a very minor point, but the container for the wax is aesthetically pleasing as it does look very professional
-Washes out very easily
-Unbeatable value at under £8
-Limited resistance to rain

The bad
-Can be tough to apply if your hair is bone-dry, however this is easily fixable by simply applying it when your hair is towel-dry
-Nothing else

Overall, a great value wax that you should have no hesitation before purchasing.

Oh and just one more point, this is what I would call a 'hard' wax which is why the hold is so good. However, if you want a 'cream-like' wax then I would recommend 'Fudge hair shaper' which is easier to apply than this, but inevitably because it is very soft, doesn't provide as good a hold and the next morning makes your hair feel greasy.

5 stars.

Fudge Hair Shaper Strong Hold Texturising Creme 75g
Fudge Hair Shaper Strong Hold Texturising Creme 75g

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, 16 Dec 2011
This is a great product, I use it every day and the hold is unmatchable.
Pros
- Unmatchable hold
- Smells great (unlike most hair products out there)
- Easy to apply
- Attractive packaging

Cons
- Not much at all! Apart from Fudge have stopped doing larger sizes of this in favour of only offering the relatively expensive 75g one (the one you are looking at)

Overall, I would wholeheartedly recommend this product. I use it everyday and it never lets me down!

Official Xbox 360 High Definition VGA Cable (Xbox 360)
Official Xbox 360 High Definition VGA Cable (Xbox 360)
Offered by bid2win-ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality Cable! Couldn't ask for more!, 16 Dec 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a fantastic quality cable, when you first get hold you can tell that you get what you pay for.
Pros
- Great Quality
- Gold connectors
- Great image quality
- Enables you to get 1920x1200 resolution for your Xbox 360 (higher than what you can get with HDMI which only lets you get 1080p) which is great if you have a large monitor!
- Includes an RCA to 3.5mm audio connector which is great if your speakers only have a 3.5mm input, or if you use your computer to decode the audio (like me)

Cons
-not much, just that the cable is on the short side. I had to use an extension cable but I doubt that will cause issue to many.

Overall, this is a great quality product which I would recommend.