Profile for onetrueweasel > Reviews

Content by onetrueweasel

onetrueweasel

Mercury Falls (Mercury Series Book 1)
Mercury Falls (Mercury Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun Easy to read, loved it! Pratchett fans - have a go., 19 Jun 2013
Loved this, easy to read and very entertaining, if you like Pratchett and Gaiman's "Good Omens" or the film Dogma, then this is a good bet for you!

After Life (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)
After Life (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, easy to read, didn't grab me particularly, 15 Jun 2012
Well written, enjoyable and easy to read. For some reason though the characters never meant much to me so I didn't feel the suspense mentioned. I couldn't really believe in their experiences as mediums - none of them struck me as "real". Perhaps because their lives are so different to mine? The last "Nancy Pearl" (Merle Miller's "A Gay and Melacholy sound") really grabbed me. This didn't seem as special.

Beyond Chocolate: How to stop yo-yo dieting and lose weight for good
Beyond Chocolate: How to stop yo-yo dieting and lose weight for good
by Sophie Boss

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful! Some obvious truths that had never occurred to me! Wow!, 6 Jun 2012
I have been calorie counting for some time now. I am making good progress but every now and then am inclined to gobble chocolate compulsively. I didn't want to relapse and ruin all my good work so I started to look for a long-term way of life to help me.
This has really helped me understand how better to manage my compulsion. Also the revolutionary thought that I don't actually crave "bad" foods that often, so I can eat them when I want them! That had never occurred to me before!
Not an easy fix by any measure (but then how often do they work??) luckily for me I was already part-way along this journey so easier for me.
Together with "Eating Less, Say Goodbye..." by Gillian Riley (different philosophy, compaitble practises) I am hoping I have found a way to understand and control my compusive eating AND live with it long term.

Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating

5.0 out of 5 stars Already part-way along this path - very helpful, 6 Jun 2012
Having given this some thought and already worked out some tactics that work for me, this has really helped me understand the cause of my compulsion and how better to manage it.
Together with "Beyond Chocolate" (different philosophy, compaitble practises) I am hoping I have found a way to understand and control my compusive eating AND live with it long term.

A Gay and Melancholy Sound (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)
A Gay and Melancholy Sound (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it - downloaded the sample and got sucked in!, 26 May 2012
I downloaded the sample of this, as there was 1 great and 1 awful review. Found myself captivated and begrudged having to download the whole thing and start again, so keen was I not to be interrupted!
It's a troubled man telling his life story, warts and all. It's a very honest sounding account but I struggled to understand why he acted in those ways. Mind you, we all say and do stuff we know we shouldn't! Despite the obvious pain his actions have caused him, I didn't find it cringey or difficult to bear.
Looking forward to the next Nancy Pearl "discovery".

The Persian Caper
The Persian Caper

2.0 out of 5 stars Very factual - hinders the prose though and I'm not sure it's a good thing., 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Persian Caper (Kindle Edition)
The first 23 percent reads as I imagine a CIA mission report with detailed descriptions of gun make and model and intelligence experience of all the characters. Not really my cup of tea.
I found the writing style to be report-like with stilted and unrealistic conversation thrown in.
It may be great after 23% but I gave up at that point!

The Anatomy of Peace: How to Resolve the Heart of Conflict
The Anatomy of Peace: How to Resolve the Heart of Conflict

4.0 out of 5 stars Even nice people will feel nicer after reading this, 20 Jan 2012
Although rather cliched in it's "American Self help Group" style, the fact that it's basically written as conversations between people being taught the point makes it very easy to read.
It made its point well and made me want to be a nicer person to more people more of the time.
It's quick to read and I think everyone should read this - especially politicians and terrorists. It would help make the world a better place!

Striking Back
Striking Back

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, cliched writing, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: Striking Back (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't believe this was written by a professional writer. It was full of phrases I would laugh at in something written by a 13-year-old child. "She took a bite of the whimsically shaped star fruit". Really? Come on.
That being said, the plot was good and the twists and turns were not predicable.