Profile for Mr. S. D. Organ > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. D. Organ

Mr. S. D. Organ "stephen2405"

A Prayer For Owen Meany
A Prayer For Owen Meany
by John Irving

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 8 Sept. 2006
5 stars doesn't really do this justice. John Irving transcends perfection with 'A Prayer For Owen Meany'. This book is probably the most moving piece of literature I've ever read. That's not because it's particularly sad. It's more down to the love felt by the narrator towards Owen, and Owen's immense faith.

There's not much more that can be said without ruining the intricate plot. Owen Meany is a magical character and I would recommend this book above any other.

Go Plastic
Go Plastic

5.0 out of 5 stars He is the daddy, 2 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Go Plastic (Audio CD)
Depending on your view, this is either a regression to tried-and-tested drill 'n' bass, or an ascension to the greatest sonic madness ever created. I conform to the latter view.

The album kicks off with a twisted bit of two-step garage, which eventually breaks down into a cacophony of chopped up breaks and snare-rushes, over Squarepusher's trademark bass-playing. Brilliant.

Then we move onto a couple of tracks of magnificent blistering drill 'n' bass in the form of Boneville Occident and Go Spastic. There is a brief interlude of ambient noises before the superlative garage-drill 'n' bass hybrid of The Exploding Psychology. Darned funky.

Next up, Squarepusher drops some classic drum 'n' bass in the form of I Wish You Could Talk. This is probably the easiest track to get into on the album, but loses nothing over time.

Now we hit the heavy stuff. Greenways Trajectory and My F****** Sound are pure sonic assaults, with the ambience of Tomnib providing the briefest of respites between them. This is probably the best section of the album, which is some achievement given the quality that runs throughout.

We end with Plaistow Flex Out - 4 minutes of seedy grooves that bring the album to its close. 48 minutes of drill 'n' bass perfection. This is one of my top 10 albums of all time.

Music Has The Right To Children [New Version]
Music Has The Right To Children [New Version]

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronica perfection, 26 Aug. 2006
This is my favourite electronica album of all time. As another reviewer remarked, it is an album that evokes memories of childhood. I think this is due to the innocence of the music, the clever use of vocal samples (especially the children lauging in ROYGBIV, the highlight of this brilliant album) and the airy interludes. I find it a distraction from the travails of modern life - music that you can immerse yourself in. Even if you're not a fan of electronica, this is an album you should listen to - it is unlike anything else I've heard, like electronica's answer to Sigur Ros in post-rock.

Make Our Devils Flow Ep
Make Our Devils Flow Ep
Offered by Sound and Vision

4.0 out of 5 stars A very promising start, 19 April 2006
This review is from: Make Our Devils Flow Ep (Audio CD)
Opening track 'Don't You Ever' is top notch rock, the verses are reminiscent of Talking Heads and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, with slightly whelping vocals, then the bridge is pure 90s rock before a fantastically catchy chorus. 'A Ghost In This House' has elements of Doves in the guitar work and is a gorgeous tune. 'Tomorrow's Zero' is what The Strokes have been aiming for but never quite (in my opinion) reached. 'This mirror in the hall' doesn't have the pop-hooks of the first three tracks but is a more mature, darker rock effort. All in all this is an ep worth buying, and I look forward to their first album.

Fear Of Music
Fear Of Music
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Fear Of Music (Audio CD)
This album is one of my all-time favourites. The production still soudns brilliant more than 25 yers after its original release and the music is at once quirky and tuneful. Byrne's voice is quite unique and complements the music perfectly. From start to finish this is a proverbial tour de force of psychadelia mixed with influences of world music and tuneful guitar. The highlight for me is proabably Cities but every song is a gem.

OK Computer
OK Computer
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars OK Computer - Woooo!, 9 Oct. 2005
This review is from: OK Computer (Audio CD)
OK Computer has to be my favourite album ever. It is an unsurpassable aural masterpiece, worthy of all its acolaydes. From the opening moments of Airbag to the closing ping sound of Tourist, OK Computer is simply sublime. I won't dwell on my love of each song, but will comment on my favourite moment of the album, namely, the brilliant emotinal contrast between Climbing Up The Walls and No Surprises. Climbing is fantastically dark and forboding, with Thom's haunting, distorted vocals and the deep bass that underlines the song. Then we are transported to the child-like innocence of the riff of No Surprises. In a word - brilliant.