Profile for waterloggedcat > Reviews

Content by waterloggedcat

waterloggedcat

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential cover for your iPad - in blue leather, 5 May 2012
This is a review of Tecknet Ipad3 cover in blue.
I ordered this cover the day I bought my iPad. While waiting the few days for it to turn up I found holding the "naked" iPad quite difficult as it is slippery also I kept pressing the volume control on the bottom by mistake. I had to swipe the unlock key before using it. With the iPad in the case all this is solved. The leather is very gripable, volume changes are prevented and the iPad turns on by lifting the cover. I feel it really protects the Ipad from knocks and scratches.

Genuine Apple covers seem very expensive by comparison. I would have preferred a darker blue but the light blue is fine. Another benefit is that my Girlfriend has a purple version so we not likely to get them mixed up. I

Very pleased indeed.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The Waiter is the essential travel item., 14 Jun. 2011
This is a review of the Victorinox Army Knife - The Waiter.
What is the most essential item you need when travelling? For me it is a corkscrew. There is nothing worse than being on the 18 hour night sleeper train from Bucharest to Istanbul with a wine bottle and a cork that can't be budged. I know that there are fancy tricks for removing a cork without a corkscrew but they don't seem to work for me. I can remember once, in desperation, having to struggle to push the cork INTO the bottle - and of course this made the wine spurt up all over me. Oh dear! Not the best of ideas and also a waste of wine. So a corkscrew is needed and the Swiss Army knife - the Waiter - is just the job. Like all Victorinox Swiss Army knives it is beautifully engineered and is not going to fall apart or bend when opening that bottle of Romanian red wine. It is also very light and although weight isn't a problem on trains it is a consideration when flying. Apart from the corkscrew the Waiter has a bottle opener and also a small sharp blade for cutting the bottle foil - or some cheese. Cheers!

Karel Ancerl Gold Edition Vol.2. Dvorįk - Symphony No 9; Overtures
Karel Ancerl Gold Edition Vol.2. Dvorįk - Symphony No 9; Overtures
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Dvorák Symphony No 9 conducted by Karel Ancerl is pure Gold, 31 May 2011
This is a review of Karel Ancerl Gold Edition Vol.2. Dvorák - Symphony No 9; Overtures.
The Dvorák Symphony No 9, 2nd Movement was famously used to advertise Hovis bread at the time I was a baker's boy. It was also one of my father's favourite pieces which he listened to on cassette - remember those? In the early 1990s following a recommendation in a classical music magazine I bought a CD version of Dvorák Symphony No 9. I became so familiar with it that once when I was listening to Radio 3 in the car I was able to identify not only the symphony but also the conductor Karel Ancerl. I have to say that this is the only recorded performance that I could do this for. I had listened to it many many times. Sadly the CD became lost so I have purchased a replacement, this Karel Ancerl Gold Edition Vol.2, which contains the same performance by Karel Ancerl. Just superb. I am listening to the 3rd movement as I write this review. Lovely. Highly recommended.

John Nunn's Chess Puzzle Book: New Enlarged Edition
John Nunn's Chess Puzzle Book: New Enlarged Edition
by John Nunn

5.0 out of 5 stars A Chess Puzzle book to really test you, 30 May 2011
This is a review of John Nunn's Chess puzzle book - New enlarged edition.
I enjoy trying to solve the chess problems in daily papers but I usually find it only takes a minute or two to crack them. Not much of a challenge. I suspect that they are designed be solved during a train commute or a short tea break. I wanted something a bit more testing so I chose John Nunn's Chess Puzzle Book. It is a thickish paper back of about 230 pages, over 250 puzzles and many chess diagrams and has a good look and feel to it. In the introduction John Nunn explains that the puzzles are rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 the easiest and 5 being the hardest and that only levels 1 and 2 suitable for casual solving on a train. Also there is nothing to say exactly what the solution requires e.g. a mate in 3 as this reflects the situation in a real game. If you get stuck there is a hint on a different page but the hints do not give the whole solution. The hint also says what difficulty level the puzzle is. I have attempted to solve 50 or so puzzles so far and I do find them a real test. What I have started to do is take a quick glance at the hints pages and identify which are the level 1 and 2 puzzles as I can usually make good progress with them. The level 5s are really beyond me - at the moment. I set up the position on my chess board and work through the puzzle without distractions - just like in a real game. I like that. I know I am not able to solve many of these puzzles but this is exactly the book I was looking for - one that would prove a challenge and teach me at the same time. Check Mate!

Wisden Cricketers' Almanack 2011
Wisden Cricketers' Almanack 2011
by Scyld Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Large Format Wisden wins the day, 28 May 2011
This review is about the Wisden Cricketers' Almanack 2011 - Large Format version.
I do not have a full set of Wisden Cricketers' Almanacks. I do not really have what you could call a set at all as I have just two - one from 1999 and this "Large Format" version from 2011. Following England's victory over Australia in the Ashes Series during 2010/2011 I thought it would be a Good Thing to have a memento of this wonderful event and as I already had one Wisden I thought I would buy the 2011 edition when it was published in April 2011. I had found my 1999 Wisden a bit tricky to read as the font used is small and my eyesight has deteriorated (50 not out sir!) to the point where I need a pair of glasses for long distance, a pair of glasses for using the computer and some reading and sometimes a magnifying glass as well for small detailed work. I was delighted to see that there was a Large Format version available and this is the one I have.
Not "Large Print" you notice but "Large Format" and this book is a whopper at almost 1700 pages in length and an Impressive 1.7 Kg - or 3 pounds 12 ounces in weight. I found the larger text considerably easier to read and I was not disappointed with the coverage of The Ashes in Part three. I particularly liked Part six about the Laws of cricket and Part seven - records and Registers. So much fascinating stuff and easy to dip into but I did find it quite tricky to read lying in bed as my hands became tired holding it up. Perhaps that was hint it was time for sleep. If I was an avid collector of Wisdens I am sure I would go for the small format version so as to match the rest of my collection but as have only two this is just the right choice as I can read it easily without the use of any optical devices. This really is the most highly recommended book about cricket.

The Great Arc: The Dramatic Tale of How India was Mapped and Everest was Named
The Great Arc: The Dramatic Tale of How India was Mapped and Everest was Named
by John Keay

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic tale. Nothing to do with Noah., 6 Jan. 2011
In the 21st century it is a trivial matter to find out where you are using such devices as GPS. In the 18th Century it was really very difficult indeed. This book tells of the great efforts that were taken to survey India in the 1800s. A truly epic task as it took many years to complete and sadly also taking the lives of many people who were involved in the undertaking. You also learn why Mt Everest is so called.

Highly recommended.

My only problem with this book is the title - "The Great Arc" sounds like it is something to do with the Biblical story of Noah and the flood.

Chronicle of the Pharaohs: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt: The Reign-by-reign Records of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt (Chronicles)
by Peter A. Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars All you wanted to know about Pharaohs, 6 Jan. 2011
The Chronicle of the Pharaohs is a lovely book with plenty of illustrations and diagrams. It is published by Thames and Hudson who I associate with well produced Art books and this is no exception.
There is so much to learn about Egyptology. Once you understand one small thing and look deeper there is more to learn and so it goes on. I have a number of general guides to Egypt including the excellent Atlas of Ancient Egypt by John Baines and Jaromir Malek Atlas of Ancient Egypt but they do not go into much detail about the individual Pharaohs. The Chronicle of the Pharaohs does just that. One of the most useful inclusions is the illustrations of the Cartouches of the Birth Names and Throne names. These occur many times on the temples and once you learn a few of them it makes understanding the history more enjoyable.
I would have liked to see a full breakdown of the Hieroglyphs of the names rather than what I consider a simple translation. For example: the Birth Name of Ramesses II is given as Ra-messes (Mery-amun) - "Re has Fashioned Him, Beloved of Amun". It is not clear what each Hieroglyph means. Giving the transliteration (something like r~-mss hk}-iwnw ) would be a great help.
So I need to investigate more and have bought another book to help me with this. Middle Egyptian by James P Allen. Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs

In summary The Chronicle of the Pharaohs is an excellent book to help learn about the rulers of Ancient Egypt.

A Thousand Miles up the Nile  - A woman's journey among the treasures of Ancient Egypt PART II
A Thousand Miles up the Nile - A woman's journey among the treasures of Ancient Egypt PART II
by Amelia Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Has travelling in Egypt changed over 100 years ? part 2, 6 Jan. 2011
This also applies to Part 1

I have been to Egypt three times now and it is fascinating to read Amelia Edwards account of her extended visit along the Nile in 1873. So much is exactly the same as now. The heat and sand are just the same. The power and magnificence of the temples is exactly the same and the Hieroglyphs are still beautiful and eloquent. The persistance of the Egyptian trinket salesman is as tenacious as it was then. Not many donkey owners tout for custom now but that has been replaced by a scrabble of Taxi, Calouche and Felucca owners.
The main difference is that Thomas Cook had only recently started trips to Egypt so in 1873 there were very few tourists whereas now there are hoards of tour parties at the main sights.
The style is rather old fashioned and everything is described primly. The Rough Guide and Tripadvisor of it's day. I would have liked some pictures and I think some other reprints do have them.
In summary an absolutely essential read for anybody with an Interest in Egyptology.
Please note that the Trotamundas reprint is in two volumes, Part 1 and Part 2 so you will need them both.

A Thousand Miles Up the Nile: A Woman's Journey Among the Treasures of Ancient Egypt Part I
by Amelia Ann Blanford Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Has travelling in Egypt changed over 100 years ?, 6 Jan. 2011
This review also applies to Part 2