Profile for Kate > Reviews

Kate

Brilliant Bread
Brilliant Bread
by James Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good, really practical, really brilliant book., 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
An excellent book - and I'm an experienced bread baker, so don't be put off by thinking this is for beginners. If you've not baked before, then this is a wonderful place to start; if you have, then get it anyway. There's always something to lear. In my case, a way of making no-knead bread that actually works. I've been struggling with a hand injury, and almost thought of giving up. No need now (ahem, sorry about the pun)...

JAMMYLIZARD Black Leather 360 Degree Rotating Stand Case Cover for The New iPad Air (iPad 5, 5th Generation released November 1st 2013) with Full Sleep Wake compatibility
Offered by Purplemoose007

1.0 out of 5 stars Either mine was damaged or it's rubbish, 12 April 2014
Not good at all. I got my case very quickly (a plus point), but it was unusable (definitely a minus point). The central ring which holds the case closed isn't fixed in well and pops out in use so it won't stay closed. Call me picky, but I feel that staying closed is an essential feature in a protective case.

Free Spirit Shawls: 20 Eclectic Knits for Every Day
Free Spirit Shawls: 20 Eclectic Knits for Every Day
by Lisa Shroyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a duff note, 2 Dec 2013
An excellent book - and when I took it along to a knitting group, several other members liked it so much that they went out and got it too. There are a good variety of designs from different designers, but they are consistent and have a slightly unusual approach to designing shawls (so useful for reducing stash). They're a lot funkier than those in many books without being impractical, but there's something for almost anyone.

Just one quibble - sometimes the patterns aren't as clearly written as they could be, so probably one for experienced knitters though there is a clear glossary and help at the back.

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

3.0 out of 5 stars A farewell?, 2 Dec 2013
I've just finished this, and at first I wasn't very sure at all. I'm still not - but I'm reluctant to attribute my doubts and the undoubted flaws of the book down to TP's condition. The Discworld series has always had its off moments (for me, the worst and the one I took straight to a charity shop was Monstrous Regiment), and by the standards of some of them - MR again - this is OK. But I think I would put it at that: OK. It's not brilliant; it's not awful, at least for me.

Like some other reviewers, I find the treatment of some characters a little heavy-handed and Vetinari, especially, doesn't seem as subtly drawn as usual. In addition the unusually long timeframe of Raising Steam can mean that a reader is in danger of literally losing the plot, particularly as there are so many minor strands or snippets and new characters who flash on and off. To me it almost feels as if some favourite, older, characters are also being given a last chance to stand on the stage even if they're taken back into the wings quite quickly and never reappear, but I do like, very much, the transformation of the Low King and the growth of industrialisation on the Disc. Another factor is that Raising Steam doesn't seem to have a clear target for Pratchett the angry social commentator in the way that Going Postal, Making Money, Unseen Academicals or even Snuff did. Perhaps that's a bit of a problem as well.

I did have a similar initial reaction to Snuff but when I went back and reread that recently I found it much more consistent. Maybe this will also be better on a second reading, so the three stars are for my immediate reaction. Overall, though? Hmm. For now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2014 9:19 AM BST

Fellowes Office Suites Microban Adjustable Foot Rest
Fellowes Office Suites Microban Adjustable Foot Rest

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 1 Mar 2013
This footrest is a lot more apparently fragile than I expected given the positive review, and the controls are fiddly. It's also unstable. Buy something cheaper. I'm not sure how long this will last out before I lose my temper with it and donate it to a charity shop, or possibly the bin. Hmm.

Would have got no stars, but that's not possible.

The Herbal Drugstore: The Best Natural Alternatives to over-the-Counter and Prescription Medicines
by Linda B. White
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy the hardback, 27 Feb 2012
This is a great book - but not in this edition. The paperback is cramped and nasty, uses grotty cheap paper and the binding is poor so it falls apart (I've had mine for two days and it's in half). Also be aware that this is not the edition for the UK market, so there may be some things which aren't appropriate. In short: excellent book, crap edition.