Profile for rene rouen > Reviews

Vgate VS550 OBD2 Scanner Code Reader
Vgate VS550 OBD2 Scanner Code Reader
Offered by iGrace-UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Very basic tool, 6 Jun. 2015
It is okay but very limited in what it can do. Worth about 1/3rd of what it cost.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ35EB-K Compact Camera - Black (16.1MP, 20x Optical Zoom Leica DC Lens, 24mm Wide Angle, Full HD Video - AVCHD) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Razor Sharp Pictures with the TZ35., 6 May 2015
Although I enjoy the Panasonic TZ35's iA mode for quick and easy picture taking, I am often disappointed with the lack of real sharpness of many of the photos that I have taken in this mode. They are not as sharp as I know a Leica zoom lens can be, and I consider this to be because of the way the camera achieves focus in iA. It appears to "average" the focus point and this is just not good enough, because absolute focussing precision is required for true sharpness.
So I decided to try using the P mode with its Spot Focussing function. My pictures suddenly became as sharp as I knew they could be.
After some experimentation, I found that the best setting for me in P mode turned out to be Spot Focussing with Multi-Metering. I am now getting razor sharp pictures which are usually correctly exposed, and it is almost as simple to use as full iA.
To use this set-up, I firstly compose my picture on the screen, I then aim the Spot Focus icon on the part of the scene that I want to be critically sharp, half press the shutter button to lock-on the focus, then re-compose the image on the screen and fully depress the button to take my picture.
This method works really well for me throughout the TZ35's zoom lens range, and with a wide variety of subjects. I have even been surprised with the amount of bokeh around my in-focus subject in certain circumstances.
I now think that the TZ35 is a great little camera.

Varta E11 Car Battery 574 012 068
Varta E11 Car Battery 574 012 068
Offered by Battery Megastore

5.0 out of 5 stars The solution for Juddering VW TDi engines, 14 Jan. 2015
I have a 2006 2.0 TDi VW Passat, which was suffering from the difficult warm/hot start syndrome, when the engine judders violently as you try to start it, but refuses to run. Many different causes and solutions have been discussed at lenght in VW Forums. A few suggested that fitting a new battery completely cured the problem. The Varta E11 is a recommended battery for this engine. I bought one through Amazon France (Battery Megastore) and fitted it to my car. This has completely cured the problem and the car is now as good as new, starting first time every time. I hope that this helps VW owners and any others with similar issues.

Seiko Women's Quartz Watch Solar SUT022P1
Seiko Women's Quartz Watch Solar SUT022P1

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, shame about the Seller., 21 Nov. 2014
Pretty enough to wear for best, chunky and functional enough as an everyday watch. It has a very accurate solar quartz movement. There is no micro adjust for the bracelet which could be problematic for getting a good fit.

Regrettably the very short 2 month battery life means that if you do not wear this watch for an extended period and keep it in a drawer or jewel box out of the light, it will have stopped and need resetting after about 2 months. Some Seiko solar watches can run for up to about 12 months without light.

I recommend that you check the Calibre and battery life with Seiko before buying a solar watch to ensure it suits your needs. I wish that I had done this before I bought mine, but I relied on the seller's description, much to my regret.

I bought my Seiko watch from Yorkshire Watches, and soon had a dispute with the owner Stewart.

Why? Well he advertised that my Seiko solar watch (model SUT022P1) had a rechargeable battery life from full charge to stoppage of 6 months. Seiko's printed information which arrived with the watch, states that this watch has a battery life of only 2 months from full charge to stoppage.

When I noticed this smaller battery capacity, rather than try to return the watch which I quite like, I emailed Stewart suggesting that he might consider compensating me for this reduced battery capacity. This seemed a fair and reasonable thing to do in these circumstances.

After exchanging more emails, Stewart emphatically and repeatedly declared that his 6 month battery life claim was EXACTLY (his capitals) the same as Seiko's information for this watch. He also told me that he had never before been asked for compensation.

Sadly, I could not persuade him to refer to the written information in the Seiko booklets which he has in his possession. This would have cleared up the apparent confusion immediately, because as I have already mentioned, these booklets clearly state that this watch (a Calibre V187) has only a 2 month full charge to stoppage battery life.

Throughout our exchanges Stewart completely refused to refer specifically to the Seiko SUT022P1 watch, preferring to comment on Seiko watches in general terms only. This is a very common and well known tactic which is often used when someone is trying to hide something.

When we eventually reached a point where he was unable to continue to maintain his insupportable claim by insistance and repetition alone, he resorted to abuse and accusations, calling me a ridiculous, disgusting, extortionist for suggesting compensation.

Was this the final refuge of a disingenuous seller? Yes, I think so. You can only assess the true quality of a seller's after-sales service by how they handle problems and complaints.

UPDATE: 1 FEB 2015.

This watch stopped this morning. It had run out of battery power even though it was worn by me everyday. The two month battery reserve capacity is simply too small for my needs.
Be sure to carefully read Yorkshire Watches return conditions. Most people (including me) might easily be unable to fully comply with them.
P.S. Yorkshire Watches are still advertising this movement calibre (V187) as having a 6 month full charge to stoppage battery life. This is incorrect and the watch will stop after about 2 months without enough exposure to light.

Gents/Mens Stainless Steel Seiko Le Grand Sport Kinetic Perpetual Calendar Watch with Sapphire Glass on Bracelet, 100M Water Resistant. SNP065P9

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it really worth £300+?, 6 May 2014
The Watch:
This watch has a very low-contrast face which can be difficult to read clearly in some types of light. The bracelet has no micro adjustment, and although the links are smaller than some other Seiko watches, this could still present a problem of having the strap either too tight or too slack with no correct fit being available. The quality of the materials and the fit and finish is very good. There is no day display.

The price:
Buying a watch because you believe that the price is justified by the quality of its manufacture is one thing. Paying a high price because the seller is applying a massive mark-up is something else. The sellers are buying this watch for between £30-£75 from the wholesaler. Many sellers do not have to maintain the high quality and costly premises required by a town centre jewellers shop, but are still charging over-the-top prices because you and I are willing to pay. The choice is always with the customer, please use that choice sensibly.

Overall:
The SNP065P9 is a lovely looking, if overlarge and slightly flawed watch. I particularly recommend the Seiko Kinetic movement, which I have found to be astonishingly accurate and trouble free.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2016 11:50 AM GMT

Sir Alf: A Major Reappraisal of the Life and Times of England's Greatest Football Manager
by Leo McKinstry

5.0 out of 5 stars England World Cup Mystery., 31 Jan. 2014
Since England won the World Cup in 1966, I have often wondered why they have never won it again.

According to this book, Alf Ramsey was the type of man who gave his whole being to the cause of winning the 1966 World Cup. The evidence from his team members give many insights into the reasons why he succeeded.

Quite simply, Alf Ramsey could clearly see that football is a team game, and that a team is not just a collection of the "best" players who play at the same venue at the same time. It is far more complex than that, and needs a special dedicated skill to develop a winning team, which Ramsey managed to do.

In my opinion his master-stroke was the inclusion of Nobby Stiles in his team. Because without the considerable individual influence of Stiles both on and off the pitch as a sort of talisman who helped the team to believe in themselves and their combined abilities, I doubt that England would have reached the World Cup final.

The FA, sports journalists, the media and the general public criticised his methods and his style of play, but he was brave and confident enough to continue to follow his own convictions.

Noone has come close to even equalling his success in the 48 years since that win. I now have a clearer undersanding why. Some of the reasons are quite surprising and enlightening. Some are unexpected and shocking, perhaps even disturbing.

This is a very enjoyable, but ultimately an enormously sad book. Highly recommended

Seiko Men's SNE107 Silver Stainless-Steel Quartz Watch with Black Dial
Seiko Men's SNE107 Silver Stainless-Steel Quartz Watch with Black Dial
Offered by best quality watches

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected., 8 Jan. 2014
This is mainly a review of my particular watch, and the condition it was in when I received it. The purchase was fulfilled by Amazon.

The seller's ad said that it was new, brand new, it was not.

When I took it out of it's not-so-well-packed box, a link pin simply fell out of the bracelet.

The watch had no tags, and was covered all over in heavy greasy fingerprints. There were lumps of coarse, oily, gritty dirt around and under the rotatable bezel, and the bracelet was deeply scratched where someone had attempted to size it, but did not have the knowledge or skill or tools to do so correctly.

I surmise: that it's previous owner, a mischievous little scallywag, having messed about with this watch to the extent that it could not now be worn, decided to play his get-out-of-jail card and promptly returned it to Amazon.

Amazon, the most customer-centric business in the whole world, then played their I-really-don't-give-a-damn-today card and sent it to me, instead of placing it in their returns/to be sold as used section. Deep joy for me then.

I have kept this watch, at a discounted price, as a constant reminder of some of the unexpected, but enlightening hazards just lying in wait for any one of us when buying a popular item online.

By adjusting the bracelet, thoroughly cleaning out the grease and dirt and polishing the scratches, I can now wear this watch, and it may be worth almost what I paid for it.

It is a good looking, well made watch. Slightly oversize, and very easy to read. It keeps perfect time in the usual Seiko solar quartz manner.

2 Film Collection (Les Misérables [1935] / Les Misérables [1952]) [DVD]
2 Film Collection (Les Misérables [1935] / Les Misérables [1952]) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fredric March
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Revelation., 26 Dec. 2013
I chose this 2 DVD set for the 1935 version because Charles Laughton (Hobson's Choice, Tuttles of Tahiti) was in it. I thought the 1952 version was almost an unknown 2nd division afterthought according to many reviews.

I watched the 1935 version on Christmas eve and enjoyed it. Being unfamiliar with the story, I was a little confused at times at what seemed to be jumps in the natural continuity of Valjean's life throughout the story. I did not appreciate the much speeded-up horse and carriage escape sequence either.

In contrast I thought that the 1952 version, which I watched on Boxing Day, was fantastic. The acting, the story-telling and the cinematography were outstanding. I think that I will watch this version more often than the classic 1935 version.

TROTEC TTK 30 S Compact Portable Dehumidifier 12 Litres/Day [free shipping] Air Dryer.
Offered by Trotec24

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, inefficient and badly made., 23 Dec. 2013
A compact unit that expells air out of the top of the machine, which can feel like a draft blowing around the room.

I mainly bought this dehumidifier because its advertised noise level is 40Db, which is whisper quite. This unit is actually at least twice that loud, and probably more as it groans and rattles in operation. I cannot use it in an occupied room as intended.

It takes less moisture out of the air than my other comparable machines, and the water sometimes ends up on the floor rather than in the container provided, because the water catchment system is poorly designed and inefficient. I regret buying this dehumidifier, and I would not purchase this model or make again.

Citizen Watch Calibre 8700 Men's Quartz Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Multicolour Stainless Steel Plated Bracelet BL8106-53A

3.0 out of 5 stars The Morris Marina of watches., 17 Nov. 2013
This is a very good-looking watch. With its technology and features, it should (and could) be a fantasic watch. The problem is in its assembly.
The hands of my watch zero to the right of 12 o'clock by about 2 degrees. The minute hand can be adjusted either backwards or forwards by quarter of a minute intervals (one and a half degrees), so it almost, but never quite lines-up.
The second hand adjusts only in one-second intervals. This means that it can be set to read 1/3rd second too fast, or 2/3rds second too slow, but never the precise time.
This discrepancy of precise hand register may be acceptable to some buyers, and I accept this as being a matter of personal choice.
My belief is, that a watch of this sophistication, and price level (although a price of £250+ represents an extravagant mark-up), needs to work to its full design specification. It is advertised as a precision instrument and needs to perform like one.
I have called it the Morris Marina of Watches because the overall design of the watch is fine. I do not believe that the development people at Citizen ever envisaged such sloppy assembly (as with the well documented production issues of the Marina), so did not design a user setting to account for it.
This is the third example of this watch that I have had to return with similar problems.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 12:25 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2