Profile for N. Sumner > Reviews

Content by N. Sumner

N. Sumner "Neilio" (North West)

Watch Link Remover Tool Band Slit Strap Bracelet Pin Adjuster Repair Tools
Watch Link Remover Tool Band Slit Strap Bracelet Pin Adjuster Repair Tools
Offered by BuyOnline Cart

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 21 Jan. 2013
Cheap and shonky, but would I have paid more for one manufactured with care out of a single billet of machined aluminium? Nah. I wanted something that would enable me to sort out watch straps without going to a jeweller's, once every couple of years. This meets the requirements.

Black Self Amalgamating Tape 19mm x 1m waterproof repair tape
Black Self Amalgamating Tape 19mm x 1m waterproof repair tape

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems surprisingly effective, 16 Jun. 2012
I used this for a repair to my motorcyle. It's definitely strong and waterproof. I was doubtful about its "stickiness" but once in place (wrapped around itself) it seems to hold very well.

Duracell rechargeable 2400 mAh AA batteries - 8 pack
Duracell rechargeable 2400 mAh AA batteries - 8 pack
Offered by Watch Decor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 15 May 2012
Got these for a remote-controlled boat, which needs 6 cells for the boat and 2 for the controller. Lasted better than the original Sunrise alkalines that came with it. If they hold out for lots of recharges, they'll definitely save me a fortune.

Stanley Hex Key Set 10Pc 1.5-10Mm    0 69 253
Stanley Hex Key Set 10Pc 1.5-10Mm 0 69 253

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 15 May 2012
I needed some new allen keys after I rounded off one of my old, cheapo ones trying to get the bolts out of the grab handle of my motorbike. I was dubious about these because they're probably just as cheap as the ones I had before, but the reviews were good and they are from a reputable brand. Anyway, once they arrived I had that grab handle off in less than a minute. They're very sturdy - and longer than my old ones, so have better leverage. Cheap; tough. What's not to like?

Samsung NC110 10.1 inch Netbook - Black (Intel Atom N570 1.66GHz, RAM 1GB, HDD 320GB, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Starter)

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid little thing, 15 May 2012
What a cracking little netbook! Yeah, it's slower than a desktop or full laptop - it's a netbook! My aging 13" MacBook was starting to hit a few issues, and I had enough Amazon vouchers to get one of these as an emergency fall-back plan, and for easy mobility. It's so good, we hardly bother with the MacBook any more. That little Atom is a 64-bit dual-core item with Hyperthreading, so it's a 4-thread CPU. Brilliant. If you want it to go fast, I bet some more memory in the DDR3 slot (and maybe a 64-bit copy of Windows) would work wonders, although the graphics will never be up to much. It runs Microsoft Word beautifully, if you don't mind peering at a couple of paragraphs at a time. The keyboard is excellent.

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made and presented, 11 Oct. 2011
I finally got sick of the ever-decreasing quality of Sony's earphones and decided to give these a try due to their good reviews on Amazon and the sturdy aluminium construction. They've lived up to expectations, essentially. Well made, with good sound quality. I'm no audiophile, but they've definitely got better sound quality than any of the Sony earphones I've had in the last 15 years.

Lm Technologies 802.11N 150Mbps Fast Wireless NANO USB Adapter, Compatible with Windows XP / Vista / Mac 10.4 and 10.5 / Linux Ubuntu 8.04 (3cm Long)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking little dongle, 17 Aug. 2010
I was looking for something to wirelessly network my Mac Pro (running Snow Leopard) and stumbled across this. I felt a bit baffled by the assorted Mac drivers on the mini CD but I opted to install the one that looked most appropriate, without bothering to read any of the instructions. I did that, restarted the machine, and plugged the tiny little dongle in. Et voila - perfect wireless connectivity. Job done.

Megaman BR0709i Ingenium GU10 Spotlight Bulb 9W Warm White
Megaman BR0709i Ingenium GU10 Spotlight Bulb 9W Warm White

1.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly poor quality!, 12 Nov. 2009
I read the reviews for the 11W version of this bulb and was surprised by the comments on failed bulbs and quality. I already have one 9W Megaman unit, and it is excellent, providing a good low-energy replacement for of the halogens in my kitchen (although it takes an age to reach full brightness). The large size of the unit is fine in the holder that is fitted in the kitchen (in fact, it almost suits the fitting better than the original halogens). For that reason, I went ahead and ordered two more to replace the other bulbs in the same fitting...

It was a mistake. Both bulbs expired within 5 seconds of turning them on for the first time.

One thing I noticed is that the original, successful, unit came in a different package (cardboard box) than these failed new ones (plastic tube) - so maybe they're from a different batch.

Anyway, I won't be buying any more. I will be returning the failed units and replacing them (I have to decide whether to fit the Philips equivalent, or just get rid of the irritating halogen fitting altogether and put in a fitting that takes 'proper' (bayonet) CFLs. If I win the lottery I might also consider the latest generation of LEDs).

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the WG311v3, 20 Nov. 2007
It's not clear precisely which Netgear model this is, but I feel I should warn any potential buyers about the Netgear WG311v3. Essentially, it's useless, because it stops transferring any data after about 5-10 minutes. The connection is still 'excellent' but you won't transfer a single byte across it. This seems to be a well-known issue and for me there was no cure. Some people found that using Marvell drivers fixed it but that didn't help me. The only way to fix it was to replace the card with an alternative from a different manufacturer.

My experience was on an AMD-based machine running WinXP Pro.