Profile for Mark Twain > Reviews

Content by Mark Twain

Mark Twain "Curmudgeon" (UK)

Rumble in the Jungle
Rumble in the Jungle
by Giles Andreae
Price: 5.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but things I don't like, 21 Mar 2008
This review is from: Rumble in the Jungle (Paperback)
There are lots of positive reviews for this book and I know why. I like the illustrations as they are colourful and fun. The verse has an energy and snappiness about it that keeps things moving and the usual humour from Giles Andreae.

One thing I don't like is that most of the animals mentioned couldn't live in one jungle. Lions, tigers and panthers are likely to be in Africa, Asia and South America respectively. Some of the rhymes are very lazy like the one about the elephant that doesn't say much other than it likes elephing around. If you can't think what to say... make up a word! This would be great if that was a common technique within the book (like doctor seuss uses). But this is the only incident and I think it's weak. There are poor examples of grammar too.

However, I do like the book and my kids love it which is the final clincher I guess.

I wanted to add a bit of detail rather than it all being glowing 5 star reviews. I hope you enjoy the book! I'd give it 3.5 but not 4 stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2011 8:47 PM BST

Kipper's Sticky Paws: Touch and Feel
Kipper's Sticky Paws: Touch and Feel
by Mick Inkpen
Edition: Board book

1.0 out of 5 stars Not by Mick Inkpen, 16 Oct 2007
The truth but not the whole truth.

The cover says 'based on the books by Mick Inkpen'.

If you look on the back of the book it is illustrated by someone else.

Amazon's 'Book Description' says: 'Kipper is a multi million bestselling picture book character created by master storyteller, Mick Inkpen.'

If you're careful you'll realise Amazon doesn't say this book is by Mick Inkpen, even though it is meant to be a description of this book.

I love Mick Inkpen's illustrations as they often bring fun or wry details to the characters. This book is a cheap knock-off from the publisher.