Profile for Rachael Parker > Reviews

Boob Nursing Hooded Top
Boob Nursing Hooded Top
Price: £42.00 - £64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Boob Nursing Hooded Top (Apparel)
Amazing customer service! I ordered 3 items from this seller and within half an hour they had been dispatched and they arrived the following day. This hoodie is young, fresh, modern and very comfortable, I will still wear it after I have finished nursing my daughter.
I am normally a size 12 with a 38DD bust, I went for the size 14 and I am very happy that it isn't too baggy and frumpy but is not too tight to allow for my bust. Would 100% recommend.

Munchkin 10oz Mighty Grip Straw Cup (Colours May Vary)
Munchkin 10oz Mighty Grip Straw Cup (Colours May Vary)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 13 May 2012
I have bought a fair few of these types of straw cups for my daughter over the past year and all of them were too hard for her to suck any liquid through.
She is now 2 1/2 years old and I wanted a non drip beaker for her to have beside her bed at night. I am so pleased I bought this one for her, for the first time she didn't have any trouble drinking through the straw and it doesn't drip (except for when it is completely full, hence the missing star)
I would recommend this straw cup and I would buy one again.

Fated
Fated
by Sarah Alderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad., 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Fated (Paperback)
I loved Hunting Lila, So I couldn't wait to get my hands on Sarah Aldersons latest offering.
This book follows the story of Evie, a 17 year old waitress from small town USA. Evie is desperate to break away from her past - a cheating ex boyfriend, a dead best friend and father. One night she is set upon by a group of Unhumans, that want her dead. Evie's life is turned upside down and nothing will ever be the same.

Sarah Alderson writes GREAT! heroines. Evie is definitely rocking some Buffy, with her quips and attitude. There is nothing more frustrating than reading a book written by an author that seems to have no respect for women. Sarah Alderson is not one of those people, she is not scared to write her leading lady with a bit of spunk.

Why only four stars?
Well while I thoroughly enjoyed the story and read it in one sitting, something that I can't quite put my finger on was off.
Maybe it was as someone else has mentioned, the love thing was a bit sudden. I didn't feel it building up (which is the best bit of YA) Although the "love" scene was seriously hot.
Lucas I believe was supposed to be 20? but he gave a 17 year old vibe that didn't match his past/life.
The ending I wont spoil for you, but I just felt it was a little dull and safe.
Hunting Lila had an epic finale that Fated couldn't match.
I wanted something a little more desperate, dark and hopeless, I found myself rushing the end, it just wasn't grabbing me.

I really enjoyed the book as a whole, I just didn't love it.
I will still read the next in the series.

Baby Trend Expedition LX Jogger - Black Mist
Baby Trend Expedition LX Jogger - Black Mist

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pram., 4 Jan. 2012
When my daughter was born, we pulled out all the stops and purchased a Chicco Travel System, complete with a Car Seat and Bassinet. At the time we lived in Spain and we spent over 600 (around 580 pounds) on the set.
We hoped it would be a sound investment, that would serve our daughter until she wouldn't need a push chair anymore.
Without going in to too much detail, we were so disappointed with the pram in particular - It was clunky, with squeaky wheels and impossible to navigate one handed. The whole things felt cheap and at that price from a brand like Chicco, it was a disgrace.
My husband searched online for an upgrade and when he came across this pram, and read the great reviews, we didn't think twice.

The delivery was prompt and the assembly took no more than 10 minutes. I did need to borrow my neighbours bicycle pump to inflate 2 of the tyres, as they felt a little soft.
It doesn't state in the product description, but the pram comes with a rain cover and a foot cosy.
The Pram once assembled, looks gorgeous and my family was shocked at the bargain price I got it for.
It is fairly light to manoeuvre and it was an absolute dream to take my daughter out and about in the local countryside (something I dreaded with the Chicco pram)
I wish I had discovered this pram a couple of years ago, I absolutely love it.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 11 Nov. 2011
This was a fantastic book/trilogy.
The story is set in a dystopian future, where a girl named Katniss Everdeen takes the place of her younger sister and tries to survive the Hunger Games - a televised, government sponsored survival contest for teens which doesn't end until there is only one person left alive.
This is a well written and engaging story. The emotions explored are realistic and gratifying, not once did I have a double-take "Wait..wha.." moment, as is so often the case in YA fiction, when an established character will do or say something so absurd it can only mean the author intends to use it as a plot device.
Katniss is a wonderful narrator, with depth and a backbone. It was an almost spiritual moment for me that Katniss was able to fulfil her role in the arena without becoming a quivering mess, bemoaning the fact that her soul was endangered or how she had degraded herself by killing another human being. That is not to say that the moral and emotional implications of killing aren't explored within this book, it's just that not all human beings are incapable of killing and certainly in the right environment such as this cruel world that Katniss lives in - not all people that kill are "evil". There are so many grey areas in all aspects of life and the author doesn't shy away from it.
You as the reader are left to find your way, rather than Katniss guilting you in to an emotional response with her own.

This is a book for all ages and I couldn't recommend it enough.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy)
by Laini Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 6 Nov. 2011
Wow! What a story!
I absolutely loved this book. I have been losing a bit of faith lately in books and finally I found a real gem.
In this story you follow Karou, an orphaned 17 year old living in Prague and studying art. You quickly realise that she isn't all she appears to be and in fact she is part of a world very different to our own. Without revealing too much I will just say that there is plenty of fantasy and mystery in these pages, I couldn't put this book down. The author took a common theme of angels and demons and made it her own without ruining a perfectly good story with any kind of religious aspect.
My only gripe (and it is a small one) is that the romantic story line ran a little rampant in the last half of the book, and it overshadowed everything else the book had to offer. Less is sometimes more.
All in all, this is one of the best books I have read in a while and I can't wait to read the sequel. Recommended.

The Iron King (The Iron Fey)
The Iron King (The Iron Fey)
by Julie Kagawa

3.0 out of 5 stars Something missing, 2 Nov. 2011
SOME SPOILERS

As others have mentioned, there is a rather strong resemblance between this book and Labyrinth. I don't mind that one bit. Labyrinth is a great film, it's just a shame that this book didn't live up to it. It was exhausting.
Throughout the first half of the book I was waiting for some reprieve from all the action, a bit of respite for some character development, but as the chapters wore on I could feel my interest in the story waning purely because I wasn't made to really care about the characters by the author. She never took the time to make the reader care and that is so important in the first chapters of a book. It wouldn't have taken much to create a more realistic spark between Ash and Meghan either, instead of the vaguely awkward romance that developed.

This is innocent and tame, fluff. An easy read lacking in depth.

Across the Universe
Across the Universe
by Beth Revis

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Across the Universe (Paperback)
I didn't love this book. It took me almost a week to finish this story and that is a new record for me. I forced myself to carry on reading just to find out how it would all pan out. So you can imagine my disappointment that upon reaching the end, I discovered that there will be a sequel, (which I will not go out of my way to read).

I thought the premise was wonderful, but in practice the story could of and should have been so much more.
The relationship between Elder and Eldest lacked the depth you would expect from such a unique situation, not nearly enough time was dedicated to them alone.
I felt like so much of what Eldest refused to divulge to Elder was more to drag out the story rather than the partnership functioning that way.
In a better version of this book, Eldest would have had more of a story to tell and I really would have enjoyed to read that.

I loved Elder, he was so well written and the author portrayed very well his youth alongside his maturity within his social role on Godspeed.
Amy was tolerable, but towards the end her naivete became excruciating.
Harley was by far the best of the bunch, and well...

When Amy experiences everything on Godspeed for the first time, everything was too clear and easy to read. Because of this the book has an almost clinical feel.
The whole thing needed a bit more subtlety. I wanted to get more of a feel for how the society ran, how the people thought or didn't.
The big mystery throughout the book isn't a mystery at all. I am the queen of not figuring things out till the very end and even I had this one locked up within the first few chapters.

My biggest bone of contention was the serious lack of emotional range from all the characters (apart from the wonderful Harley) They were always either sad or angry, there was no sweet or deep moments (well they weren't written that way)to balance things out. It's not right that the part of the book that elicits the strongest emotional reaction, has nothing to do with the leads.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Eyeliner, 16 Oct. 2011
This is the best eyeliner I have ever owned. It has a very fine, thin brush to apply the liner, so getting it on straight is very easy. Even if it doesn't go on perfect, you can just run the edge of your finger or tissue under your eye and you are left with a beautiful straight line that has dried already without smudging.
It's amazing how through general wear and tear of the day, it still stays on but when you remove your make-up at night, it comes right off.
I bought the grey shade, and it has a lovely balance between black and grey (it's not too light) I Would definitely buy this again, although I can see it lasting a good time as you need only apply very little.

Lily Lolo Mineral Blush - Ooh La La - 3g
Lily Lolo Mineral Blush - Ooh La La - 3g
Offered by Lily Lolo

4.0 out of 5 stars OOH LA LA, 16 Oct. 2011
Loved this blusher, and you need so little of it on your brush that it will last for a very long time. Point of interest, it is a much brighter pink shade than it appears in the photo. If you are looking for a very light pink I would buy the next shade down, I think it is called - Doll Face.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5