ARRAY(0xa8d1fa5c)

Profile for S M-T > Reviews

Content by S M-T

S M-T (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Delinquents (The) (1989) - Special Edition (2 DVD)
Delinquents (The) (1989) - Special Edition (2 DVD)
Dvd ~ kylie minogue
Offered by VECOSELL
Price: 16.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Far too expensive, 9 Feb 2014
Would love to have had a copy of this, a first-class film, but it's far too expensive. I would have been glad of a used copy but, obviously, none are available.

Playing For Change
Playing For Change
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 13.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an exciting project., 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Playing For Change (Audio CD)
Once I found this incredible movement, Playing for Change, I couldn't wait to get their cd/dvd. This project brought together by Mark Johnson and his team, people of great heart and vision, is a remarkable combining of singers and musicians from all over the world. It has brought to the fore outstanding singers such as Roger Ridley (Los Angeles),Clarence Bekker (Netherlands), Grandpa Elliott (New Orleans), Mermens Kenkosenki (Congo), Keb' Mo (USA) and many others and we are treated to the incredible talents of musicians, such as Roberto Luti (Milan), Jason Tamba (Congo), Louis Mhlanga (Zimbabwe) and so many more. We get to hear the wonderful singing of groups like Sinamuva (South Africa), Vinaya, Saindhavi and Shruti (India), the Omagh Community Youth Choir (Northern Ireland). The songs have great soul, great feeling and great sincerity. 'Stand by Me', 'One Love' and 'A Change is Gonna Come' just ripped me apart and I found songs like 'Better Man', 'Chanda Mama', 'Biko' very moving. What makes a lasting impression is the love that comes through and that is what the movement aims to create - peace and love through music. It is a totally wonderful idea and while the music in itself is a joy to listen to (and, with the dvd, to watch), what really stirred my heart and soul was the coming together of all these people to bring a message of peace and love to the world. May the movement grow and thrive to make a real difference!

Playing For Change - Songs Around The World Volume 2
Playing For Change - Songs Around The World Volume 2
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album and dvd, 9 Feb 2014
Here is the second of the albums produced by the remarkable movement, Playing for Change, and it has some momentous tracks and a wide variety of genres. The combining of such talented singers and musicians from all over the world in each song is of the highest credit to people like Mark Johnson and his team who had the vision to create this incredible project. Those of us who loved the first PFC album are not disappointed in this second one. We have the soul and depth of range from singers, amongst others, like Clarence Bekker (Netherlands), Grandpa Elliott (New Orleans), Titi Tsira (South Africa), Mermans Kenkosenki (Congo) and Roger Ridley (Los Angeles) and we have the musical talents of people from Africa, South America, Japan, Jamaica and elsewhere, including the magnificent guitar playing of Roberto Luti (Italy). We have great versions of songs from Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, John Lennon, Otis Redding and some original songs and pieces. These people sing and play from their heart with genuine feeling and great talent. You will love it and, I think, you will be very moved by it.

Sugar Sweet
Sugar Sweet
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.33

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable man, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sugar Sweet (Audio CD)
Grandpa Elliott has been singing for years on the streets of New Orleans but is now a major performer in the Playing for Change movement. He has become one of their star attractions with his melifluous tone and his brilliant harmonica playing. Seeing him performing is a large part of the attraction, he sings soul with a deep conviction. His album is good and makes very pleasant listening, but I think I prefer watching him performing live on the Playing for Change videos where his true depths and talent become more evident.

Old Soul
Old Soul
Price: 10.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Playing for Change, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Old Soul (Audio CD)
This is a delightful first album for the singer, Clarence Milton Bekker. He is one of the main singers in the lovely group of people who make up Playing for Change, a movement to bring peace and love through music. Clarence has true soul and and seeing him perform live in the videos of the Playing for Change songs is very moving. His album takes a lighter tone, however, and while I very much enjoy listening to it, I think I prefer listening to his more gutsy singing on the Playing for Change songs. However, this album will appeal to a large range of people and I look forward to his next one.

King Size, 10" Deep, Black , 100% Cotton Super Soft Thermal Flannelette Fitted Bed Sheet by Viceroybedding
Offered by Viceroy Bedding
Price: 6.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, 9 Feb 2014
These sheets were black which is why I chose them because they were a colour scheme preferred by the person I gave them to as a present. They were adequate but would liked them to have been thicker. However, they were acceptable for the purpose.

Link and Communique: A Personal Psychic Experience
Link and Communique: A Personal Psychic Experience
by J.E. Best

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Remarkable Book I Have Ever Read, 7 Feb 2014
Having always had a thirst for knowledge about the realm we go to after life on earth, this book has assured me that what I always wanted to believe about 'the next realm' is realistic. Whether or not you have any religious or spiritual leanings, this book, written by an eminent scientist, cannot but fail to have its impact. The narrative is explained in the review already given so I can only add that I have personal knowledge of the Dr Lang the author refers to and have experience of Dr Lang's healing powers and his openess to shed light on the darkness most of us associate with the term 'death'. The book goes way beyond the accounts written by those who have had 'near-death experiences'. It confirms, for me at least, that 'death' is just a stage we all go through and that what lies ahead is beyond the powers and understanding of human imagination. It gives comfort and encouragement to know where loved ones no longer with us have gone and, rather than mourn their passing from this life, we can believe that the existence they are now experiencing is one where they are still evolving and developing. The book gives the term 'life goes on' a new meaning.

The Audrey Hepburn 5 Film Collection [DVD] [1961]
The Audrey Hepburn 5 Film Collection [DVD] [1961]
Dvd ~ Audrey Hepburn
Price: 11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, 24 Mar 2013
Even if you have seen the films contained in this selection, they are all so worth seeing again. Audrey Hepburn had a certain 'je ne sais quoi' which is difficult to define, something maybe to do with the expressive eyes, the elfin appeal, the smooth, golden voice or just the freshness with which she took on the various roles. I think my favourite is 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' with 'Sabrina' and 'Roman Holiday' coming a very close behind. These are films you can see over and over again and enjoy each time as much as you did the first time round.

Audrey Hepburn, Elegant Spirit
Audrey Hepburn, Elegant Spirit
by Sean Hepburn Ferrer

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 24 Mar 2013
Audrey Hepburn was a very different kind of film star from those of her era, and since, and the kind of special person she was, apart from her film roles, makes any book about her one of compelling interest. But 'Elegant Spirit' (which so aptly describes her) which is written by her son makes this very special. We see her from an adoring son's point of view and it confirms all the special things about her. It is beautifully and warmly written and gives a fascinating account of her life as a child, her film career and the wonderful work she undertook for UNICEF. The photographs make a superb contribution to the book and the insight into her life and work show how she became the iconic figure she still is. She was and still is an inspiration.

My Cat Spit McGee (Vintage)
My Cat Spit McGee (Vintage)
by Willie Morris
Price: 7.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A Touching Account, 24 Mar 2013
This is a must read not only for those who are fascinated by cats but also as a very readable account of a dog-lover's discovery of the mysterious and intriguing nature of the feline species. Willie Morris' books are written in a way that bring you into his thoughts and feelings and I found that the way in which he really wants to understand Spit and the other cats in his book very touching. I bought the book after seeing the film 'My Dog Skip' and I think it would be great if they could make a film of 'My Cat Spit McGee'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3