Profile for Gojira Fan > Reviews

Majestic Hollywood
by Mark A. Vieira
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great year, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Majestic Hollywood (Paperback)
Just received this wonderful book. Mr Vieira has done an incredible job of showcasing the best films of a great year '1939'. The photos are incredibly clear. For anyone who loves the golden years of Hollywood get this book. I realize what an important year '1939' was in the history of movies. But I hope Mr Vieira comes up with a series of these books.

Mushroom Clouds and Mushroom Men: The Fantastic Cinema of Ishiro Honda
Mushroom Clouds and Mushroom Men: The Fantastic Cinema of Ishiro Honda
Price: 3.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy days, 4 Dec 2013
I remember a lot of these Japanese films from the late 50s into the early 60s. They were magical. So different from UK or US films. They were complete fantasies. And they have interested me for years. This great book takes me back to those days. It is chock full of information, and worth every penny. The author has done a magnificent job on the history of these films, and studied them well. I highly recommend this book.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea [Blu-ray] [1961]
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea [Blu-ray] [1961]
Dvd ~ Walter Pidgeon
Price: 11.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Great days..., 20 Nov 2013
When I saw this way back in 1961 (or early 62) I thought it was amazing. I sat through it twice with a friend. I was an innocent 13 year old then. It is still a wonderful movie. But when I see it through my 65 year old eyes I wonder. Why are the icebergs that breaking up and falling past Seaviews window falling straight down like rocks? They should float back up. And why does Seaview shoot out of the water like a bullet during the main titles (it's still a great sequence) but I wouldn't like to be on board as cutlery and bodies fly around. You can also see that the model is in a large tank in some scenes. Why do I only notice this now? Still the best sequence is Seaview entering New York harbour. The Sky is flaming red. The music etc. makes for an iconic image. And I still get a kick out of hearing Frankie Avalon sing the title song.

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death
Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death
by M.C. Beaton
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 6 Sep 2013
These books are wonderful. I cannot understand why they have not been picked up for a television series. Brenda Blethyn would fit the bill.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon in Blu-ray 3D [1954] [Region Free]
The Creature from the Black Lagoon in Blu-ray 3D [1954] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Richard Carlson
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 13 Aug 2013
Just received my Panasonic TV yesterday and could not wait to watch the Creature from the Black Lagoon. 3D makes this film come alive again. The black and white photography is just incredible. Modern films are slightly more subtle as presenting 3d. And they look great, don't get me wrong. But these older movies make your eyes pop out. Can't wait for House Of Wax and maybe even It Came From Outer Space. If you can, go out and get a 3D Television and buy Universal's Creature today you'll be amazed.

Dracula (Blu-ray + DVD) [1958]
Dracula (Blu-ray + DVD) [1958]

5.0 out of 5 stars gojira54, 24 Mar 2013
This takes me back. I was just 10 years old in late May 1958 when 'Dracula' was released so obviously could not see it. But I did catch up with the double bill with 'The Curse of Frankenstein' in the early 60s. This Blu-ray disc is amazing. They have done a wonderful job. The scenes that were cut out are just great. They look like they have always been there. Hard to believe that critics poured scorn on this when first released. It is really very well acted. Although Michael Gough is very hammy. I really lived through a great period with Hammer and I thank them and all the performers that took part in them over the years. Peter Cushing can do no wrong. He may have done horror films but there is something very comforting about him. The commentary is very well done as are all the extras. Oh! and you can hear every word that is spoken. You won't need subtitles.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 7:15 PM GMT

The Curse of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1957]
The Curse of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1957]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee
Price: 13.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite pleased, 17 Oct 2012
I can understand some the reviews that have been published. Yet at the same time I expected a lot worse. Yes, the Blu-ray Disc looks slightly washed out. But there are also some beautiful clear scenes, with rich colour. Could someone tell me. Was the head acid scene slightly longer? It seemed to be. And did anyone else not have a booklet enclosed with the set? I thought I might send this back when I read so many negative reviews. But i'me pleased with the results. Bring on Dracula.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 2:53 PM GMT

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray] [1931] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Boris Karloff
Price: 21.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Universal, 1 Oct 2012
Just received the Universal Monsters on Blu-ray and I am very pleased with the results. Creature is presented in 1.85:1 for the first time. Dracula looks very good (but still lots of grain), and yet in the Spanish version there is hardly any grain at all. Hard to believe they were shot at the same time as each other. But no matter what, the Blu-ray brings out things that you never noticed before. And the sound is truly amazing. Top marks for this box set.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2013 10:30 AM GMT