Profile for 10166794@scholar.nepean.uws.edu.au > Reviews

Content by 10166794@schol...

10166794@scholar.nepean.uws.edu.au (australia - a long way from France)

La Femme Infidele [VHS]
La Femme Infidele [VHS]

5.0 out of 5 stars amusing bourgeois types, 7 Mar. 2001
This review is from: La Femme Infidele [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Chabrol made this film when he had just re-found his feet after a couple of disappointing films. His dark wit is given full flight here, and you can see the hypocrasis of daily life going on their merry-go round. "Even though murder is on our mind, we must put on our Sunday best for dinner - otherwise, what would the neighbours think?" (that was not a line of dialogue from the film, that was me using poetic licence)

The Devil Rides Out [VHS] [1968]
The Devil Rides Out [VHS] [1968]
Offered by unclejohnsband

4.0 out of 5 stars Hammer Films Best Moment, 9 May 2000
The best of Hammer Studios Dennis Wheatley adaptations, with legendary writer Richard Matheson doing a fine job making the black magic plot work on screen. The film is one of the few (though I admire them all) of Hammer's films to really retain a sence of menace, and to still have a few moments of genuine terror - even for this jaded viewer. A very fine film that basicallt deals with the battle of good and evil. Christopher Lee is very fine as the good guy, being equally matched by Charles Grey - very believable as the charming but evil Mocata. Recommended.

Naked Killer [VHS] [1992]
Naked Killer [VHS] [1992]
VHS
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bare Naked Pleasure, 2 May 2000
A brightly coloured, sexy violent pleasure is how I describe this film. The female cast is too die for....visually I mean. This film is beautifully coloured, frantically paced, and soooooo damn sexy. If you are with your partner, but not planning children just yet, DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM. Sure, the more prude out there may be a tad concerned about the mixing of violent and sexy imagery, but I don't think they would watch a film called Naked Killer if they were prudish....would they? Beware of cut prints, the first time I watched this film it was a wopping fifteen minutes shorter than the full cut, and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I'll just finish my ramblings by saying "all hail Carrie Ng, Madoka Sugawara, Kelly Yao & Chingmy Yau".

Bram Stoker's Count Dracula [VHS] [1973]
Bram Stoker's Count Dracula [VHS] [1973]
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Cut It Friends, 1 May 2000
I should have LOVED this film, oh yes. I'm a fan of sklockmeister director Jess Franco, the second sleaziest director alive (the first being Joe D'Amato..no, he died recently, guess he is the sleaziest), I love Klaus Kinski's work..he's a madman. I'm also quite partial to Christoper Lee's work. Oh, and I love Vampire flicks, and God knows they've all had a stab at these theme's half a dozen times in their carreers. But folks, this film was just plain tedious. Jess Franco makes the best Eurotrash around, but in this, he was in a serious mode, and he isn't a good enough director to pull it off. Check out any other Christopher Lee vampire flick instead. Or Klaus Kinski in Herzog's Nosferatu, or Jess Franco's deliriously perverse, tacky, Vampyros Lesbos.