Profile for E. Bones > Reviews

Content by E. Bones

E. Bones (Cumbria, England)

SUPER MAGNETIC PUTTY - This Stuff Is Amazing!
SUPER MAGNETIC PUTTY - This Stuff Is Amazing!
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

3.0 out of 5 stars Vaguely Interesting, butmnot amazing., 1 Jan. 2016
Not quite as amazing as advertised. Yes it does, in time, "grow" towards the tiny magnet, but only if the magnet is on the inside of the lid, and getting it to move towards the magnet, as per the box illustration, was impossible. If you like Blu-tac's tactile qualities, this is about the same, but it is unable to attract even a fairly strong fridge magnet! Interesting, perhaps, but I could never be amazed by it.....

Freegle
Freegle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab App to make Freegling even easier!, 7 May 2015
This review is from: Freegle (App)
A fabulous app improving access to that wonderful organisation FREEGLE! You can now Freegle anywhere where you can get a signal, so, if you care for the world, and want to keep "stuff" out of landfill, either by offering an item, or offering to take an item, then Freegle is the place to look. If you are out and about, this app makes it easier.

Knit & Purl Pets
Knit & Purl Pets
by Claire Garland

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting the Needle(s), 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Knit & Purl Pets (Paperback)
I have knitted the first of my planned items (a hen!) as a gift for a friend who breeds fanch hens, and he was really pleased. However, it was the first time I have used double pointed needles, and it was a bit of a shock to the system!

Almost every one of the pattern requires double pointed needles, and while this is a skill which is not too difficult to learn, some people may find it a bit intimidating to start with, and find it a bit annoying to have to delay a start, if they have to buy the needles too!

Nevertheless, if one gets over this initial perception of difficulty, the patterns seem quite clear and, although I have not read them all in detail, clearly set out. The variety of "pets" range from cats and dogs to chameleons and the rarely kept stegosaurus!

If you are unable to find anything that catches your eye in this book, I will be immensely surprised. I bought for the hens, and I am staying for the ponies and rabbits! I may even make a rat or two for my (real) cats to play with!

The Knitted Teddy Bear: Make Your Own Heirloom Toys, with Dozens of Patterns for Unique Clothing
by Sandra Polley

5.0 out of 5 stars UnBearably Wonderful Patterns!, 5 Feb. 2011
I have read through, and decided on at least 5 of the patterns that I want to make a start on. As a fairly inexperienced knitter (I learned less than 2 years ago!) I can see several beginners bears, and many more difficult bears, but none that would seem to be outside my capabilities. The different techniques and jointings used are useful, and as I propose to start on Catherine (the largest bear, with real jointing), I hope to learn a lot. Several of the bears are more modern in shape(Ralph looks like a real modern take on a traditional bear!) and I think Sleepy Sam would look lovely guarding the bed while I am out of it!

I can see that knitters of all ages and levels of experience will get something from this book, and their friends and families will get bears for Birthday, Christmas and any other time that a bear would be welcome.

This is a book for arctophiles as well as knitters - it would be worth learning to knit in order to make some new members of your bearish family!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2013 12:19 PM GMT

Pookie Believes in Santa Claus
Pookie Believes in Santa Claus
by Ivy Wallace

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Memories, 2 July 2006
I had been read the Pookie books as a small child, and read them myself aged 4. Unfortunately, as they were library books, I was unable to keep them, and they were returned to be reborrowed a few weeks later. I remembered the wonderful illustrations and the stories, and when I was about 25 I tried to buy the set, only to discover they were out of print. When I found that they were in print again I bought them, and found that the simple stories I remembered were more deep and insightful than I could have imagined. The wonderful illustrations have remained in my memory all these years, and the stories are as interesting to todays youngsters as they were to me. I commend these to anyone who loves childrens stories!

Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
by Tony Hawks

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected hit!, 5 Feb. 2000
As a sedentary female,interested in neither football, nor tennis, and definately with no interest in the stupid bets made by drunken men, my heart did not soar when I was given this book. However, I was pleasantly surprised when a bad cold left me temporarily in need of a book to read, and I fell back on this one. Tony Hawks creates the sort of atmosphere in which all things are possible, even the impossible, and wins the heart of all the Moldavians (well, a few of them anyway!)
Is it a good read? Certainly! Do you need to be sporty? Not at all!
I really surprised myself, and enjoyed it thoroughly!