Profile for Paula FC > Reviews

Content by Paula FC

Paula FC

The War Against the Family: A Parent Speaks Out on the Political, Economic, and Social Policies That Threaten Us All
by William D. Gairdner

5.0 out of 5 stars I would highly recommend this book, 4 Aug. 2015
Very good book with a lot of interesting documentation.

Language Myths
Language Myths
by Laurie Bauer

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but extremely academical, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Language Myths (Paperback)
I have bought this book, because as a translator and interpreter I like very much to read new things and new teories about the l subject: language. The only problem with this book is that I find it very academical so I didn't fell very involved in the reading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 11:34 PM GMT

The Only Thing That Matters
The Only Thing That Matters
by Neale Donald Walsch

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but more of the same, 1 Feb. 2013
I have lost the account of how many books I read from Neale Donald Walsch. All of them are wonderful, including this one. The only thing with "The only thing that matters" is that a felt it was a slightly repetition of what I read in many Walsch's books before. But anyway if you like his message, as I do is never too much to read it.

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST GN VOL 02 (C: 1-0-0)
FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST GN VOL 02 (C: 1-0-0)
by Hiromu Arakawa

5.0 out of 5 stars Fullmetal alchemist: it simple cant be bad!, 1 Feb. 2013
I am very strong admirer of Fullmetal Alchemist. The story is wonderful and absolutely all the characters are important and interessant. Very good purchase. I will go on buying more of these cartoons as I have the opportunity and the time to read them. If you like good japanese mangá...buy it!

The Mirror Lied: One woman's 25-year struggle with bulimia, anorexia, diet pill addiction, laxative abuse and cutting.
by Marc A. Zimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Schoking, informative and humane, 1 Feb. 2013
I decided to read this book to know more about food disorders from the perspective of a person that struggled with them. The book cover this and gives much more to the reader: explain through the characters that people that suffer from food disorders have a personality profile, that they are people that have struggled a lot in their personal lives, that many of them think it is normal until a certain point to have the problem, that a lot of them are in denial of their problem and a thing that I did not know: a person can have more than one kind of food disorders at a time.

I absolutely recommend. Sad, but very real and humane.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2013 3:14 PM GMT

The Coming Global Superstorm
The Coming Global Superstorm
by Art Bell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars The coming global superstorm and Day after tomorrow: both good, but different!, 1 Feb. 2013
I have just finished reading "The coming global superstorm" and it was very good. I just could not stop reading.

Art Bell e Whitley Strieber have married their skill as journalists, what makes the text easy to ready, fast to absorb and the intense research they must have made to write this book, make it credible. I would say that this is a book in which scientific data is explained in a pleasant way. Its straight to the point.

I have watched the movie: "Day after tomorrow" before I read the book and I expect to see all the characters from the movie and the exact timeline of it in the book. If you expect that you will be frustrated. But in the end, both, book and movie, are very nice but in very different ways. I recommend it.

The Ultimate French Verb Review and Practice, 2nd Edition (Uitimate Review and Reference Series)
by David M. Stillman

4.0 out of 5 stars A god book with lots of exercises to practice!, 21 Nov. 2012
I am a translator, but also a student of a new language: French. I was looking for a book that could provide me the grammar rules for the topic - French verbs - but that also could give me some exercises for training them. I found the exercises I needed to better memorize the rules concerning the French verbs in this book. I recommend it.

Frida: The Biography of Frida Kahlo
Frida: The Biography of Frida Kahlo
by Hayden Herrera

5.0 out of 5 stars A good and deep analysis of Frida Kahlos life, 20 Nov. 2011
This book is a very good purchase if you are interested in knowing the artist's life in details. It presents to the reader a deep analysis of Fridas personality, feelings and her surroundings. It also presents Fridas letters to friends, lovers, doctors etc. If you like a text that goes deep, it is a perfect choice. If you prefer something more shallow, I don't recommend.

In my personal experience, I liked the book very much, mainly because it gave the sensation that as pages advanced I was getting to know more about Frida, almost as I know a person of my own time with whom I deal with in a day to day bases. I think that in this sense, the book acomplishes something important: to show the human being full of conflicts behind the famous artist.

Frida Kahlo: The Paintings
Frida Kahlo: The Paintings
by Hayden Herrera

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good analysis of Fridas paintings and life, 20 Nov. 2011
I first came to know about Frida Kahlo when I watched a movie about her life. As I like arts and as I have bought also a book about Fridas life by the same author, I decided to buy this one about her paintings too. This is a big book that presents Fridas paintings and analyses them deeply (but not in a boring way), crossing all this artistic data of the artist with her personal moment of life, as well as with the influence of the historical moment Frida lived in. Very good book if you like not just to see good art printed, but also if you always ask yourself why artists paint the way they paint, what are the factors and historical influences behind that.