Profile for P. J. Reeves > Reviews

Content by P. J. Reeves

P. J. Reeves "Reevesy view" (B'ham England)

The Pursuit (William Rennie 6)
The Pursuit (William Rennie 6)
by Peter Smalley
Price: 6.80

2.0 out of 5 stars The pursuit, 12 Sep 2012
Having been a fan of this Rennie series I found this installment annoying. Whereas previously it was possible to forgive Rennie his curmudgeonly ways with his failings supplemented by his trusty Hayter, this was farcical theatre. Displays of pomposity and stubbornness as described left one feeling that such incompetence could not be plausible of such a person in command.
Overall I read at speed to conclude rather than enjoy as a page turner.
Luckily I'm only 7 books into o'Brien so have rich pickings left. I hope Rennie's next venture is more intelligent and believable.

Buildings, Bridges and Walls (Windsor & Newton Paint a Landscape in Minutes)
Buildings, Bridges and Walls (Windsor & Newton Paint a Landscape in Minutes)
by Keith Fenwick
Price: 5.39

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 24 Oct 2011
very little on buildings walls and bridges in my view. just didn't find anything in this book that was inspirational, useful or educational. Overall a poor product from Winsor and Newton.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 10:35 PM GMT

Skies, Mountains and Lakes (Windsor & Newton Paint a Landscape in Minutes)
Skies, Mountains and Lakes (Windsor & Newton Paint a Landscape in Minutes)
by Keith Fenwick

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed.., 24 Oct 2011
I'm no slouch with a brush, but I bought 4 different versions of these instructional books with the aim of improving my technique. Reading the blurb they seemed just what I needed.
However, if you want to polish your technique my experience is that these books are not for you. Techniques are "explained", but often showing the end product rather than each stage. In addition, there are many projects to do i.e. a full picture. It starts with a photo of the intended topic, then a sketch. The next is hey presto, full sky with a brief explanation of how that appeared ! The sequence follows on. I know that printing can affect the colours, but I've never managed to match the colours as shown using the constituents as described.
Finally the pictures as used are far too small to enable them to be remotely used as material - they are far too fussy and detailed, apart from you can't see the detail to be able to transfer these satisfactorily onto paper.
My view is that more should have been spent on the techniques and less on the grandiose pictures.
My advice is to spend the money on more paper and practice.

Helmet for my Pillow: The World War Two Pacific Classic
Helmet for my Pillow: The World War Two Pacific Classic
by Robert Leckie
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down., 3 July 2010
Have read many war memoirs but this was different - it was just written in a very moving and special way. It doesn't glory, it doesn't brag. It just quietly puts you in the picture of what must have been a hellish experience. An amazing read and I just wish I had heard of his work earlier. In my opinion one of the best war memoirs around.

747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation
by Joe Sutter

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best.., 9 May 2007
was hoping for a bit more detail on the design and challenges of developing the 747, but it sort of glossed over them. the only part that went into detail was engine issues. i managed to read the book on a 747 flight back from chicago to frankfurt and i didn't once look around me to reference anything said. it was a nice read, but not the book i was expecting. the maiden flight was covered more in the intro when he described where he sat his wife. i'm not a petrol head, but the level this gave disappointed me. oh, and i found the references to concorde rather disparaging. sutter's view that this was a simple design, couldn't fly very far, too few passengers blah blah, and the boeing titanium SST much better. pity it never flew for us to compare such a masterly american marvel...ahem.

The Second World War, Volume 4: The Hinge of Fate
The Second World War, Volume 4: The Hinge of Fate
by Winston Churchill
Price: 21.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Dec 2006
If you are interested in WWII, then this, and the rest of Churchill's books are for you. There is a huge amount of detail, and you get a real sense of the drama and problems surrounding Winston as the war nears and then unfolds. Clearly written, this book is an absolute education on the war, and all the politics to make sure it was won.

Together We Stand: North Africa 1942-1943: Turning the Tide in the West (Mediterranean War 2)
by James Holland
Price: 11.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Dec 2006
I found this book an excellent account of the war in North Africa. I'm hugely interested in the WWII campaigns, but this is the first book I've read that actually starts to detail the dovetailing of UK and USA forces in their first joint campaigns. A very enlightening and enjoyable read.

Concorde: The Last Summer
Concorde: The Last Summer
by Peter Marlow

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 18 Oct 2006
this volume should be retitled photographs of people looking into sky, interspersed with the odd shot of Concorde. I found it hugely disappointing, hardly any script, and as far as I could see only of use to the actual people it featured.