Profile for lsgMerlin > Reviews

Content by lsgMerlin

lsgMerlin

Page: 1 | 2
The Key (The True Reign Series Book 1)
The Key (The True Reign Series Book 1)
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Discerning readers should avoid!, 4 Aug 2014
Pedestrian, poorly written, clichés far too abundant. This author may have imagined a potentially good story, but unfortunately she does not have a way with words! At no point was I able to 'lose' myself in the story - I was simply too annoyed with the clumsy writing, I'm afraid.

The Last Kingdom (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 1)
The Last Kingdom (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 1)
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars He tells a good story, and this book is no exception, 4 July 2014
I'm a real fan of historical fiction and have read several Cornwell books before. He tells a good story, and this book is no exception. However, the era (870s) notwithstanding, there was just too much gore and violence for me. Yes, it was a violent world in those times, battle at close quarters was visceral and bloody, and yes, the Viking warrior/raiders were quite merciless by all accounts. But Cornwell seems to delight in describing violent battle scenes ad nauseam. I am not overly squeamish and I don't think writers should sanitise history for modern readers, but soaking a book in bloody battle scenes became repetitive and boring. I won't be reading the rest of the series, I'm afraid.

Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord Book 1)
Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord Book 1)
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, holds attention, 12 Jun 2014
Bit of a swashbuckling adventure story, not really 'historical' fiction, and as such, it's a light-weight easy read and would keep the average 14 year-old occupied for a while. I would have increased the star rating if the dialogue had been more in keeping with the era (it was full of modern day phrases that just yanked you out of the story and became a real irritation). Also, please can someone tell Steven A.McKay that 'me' is not a subject pronoun (as in 'Me and Stephen will go......."). I won't be reading another book by this author, I'm afraid.

Ship or Sheep? Book and Audio CD Pack: An Intermediate Pronunciation Course (Face2face S)
by Ann Baker
Price: 23.32

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed!, 6 April 2014
After reading the reviews, and following the recommendations of fellow teachers, I bought the Book and CD Audio pack. The book is useful (hence 2 stars), but the sound quality of the CD is awful. I had trouble recognising some of the sounds, so the Spanish student I attempted to use it with was completely lost. I wanted to play the CD on my laptop (with a plug in mini-speaker which I use for listening to music), but I gave up after the first couple of exercises when my student became more confused, rather than more enlightened. If recorded sound on the radio can be heard without distortion I'm sure it's possible to do the same on an audio CD. I'm quite cross that I parted with all that money!

Stolen
Stolen
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good page-turner, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Stolen (Kindle Edition)
Well written and it held my interest, but I was irritated by the inclusion of superfluous characters who added nothing to the story. The book had a few too many red herrings for my liking, but a good read nonetheless.

Redemption Blues:  A Crime Thriller
Redemption Blues: A Crime Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, good plot, 10 Feb 2014
T D Griggs writes really well; his descriptions are good ('though there were perhaps a few too many 'pearl' skies) and I enjoyed the story he told. The problem for me was that the characters were rather wooden and not very credible. I do realise that they were all dysfunctional following some kind of trauma, but even so, they were very one dimensional. Warning: spoiler alert!
One of the central characters, Silver, is a rich and famous rock star. I have real difficulty believing that he would readily accept the grim and sordid life of an anonymous, homeless, penniless tramp after a car accident, even given the guilt he would have felt at causing the death of one of his daughters. We don't get to know Cobb, the main protagonist, very well. Granted, he is mourning the loss of his wife, but there is nothing else interesting about this man to bring him to life. Another central character, Silver's wife, is an unattractive character (yes, I know she's been though the mill too, but it's hard to feel sympathy for her). So what is it that suddenly draws her and Cobb together? Not credible, I'm afraid.

Defending Elton
Defending Elton
Price: 2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Stars may be generous!, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Defending Elton (Kindle Edition)
Interesting plot, although I felt that it ended rather like a damp squib. The most irritating aspect was the 'wordsmithing' - or lack of it. The writing is cliche-ridden and the dialogue reads like the worst American TV cop show. Pity, as the story line had good potential.

Splinter
Splinter
Price: 0.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Labyrinthine, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Splinter (Kindle Edition)
Unless a book is utter tosh, I tend to persevere to the end. Splinter tested my ability to persevere, and it was only through sheer bloody-mindedness that I got to the end. There were simply too many twists and turns in the plot (which made it confusing, rather than exciting), and this seemed to be at the expense of creating credible characters. At no point did I feel 'involved' in the story; I didn't get to know the characters and I ploughed through with mounting irritation. Sorry, Sebastien Fitzek, but I won't be reading any more of your work!

The End of Winter:  A Crime Thriller
The End of Winter: A Crime Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and Unpredictable, 26 Nov 2013
T.D. Griggs writes beautifully. The plot weaves and twists as the story unfolds, full of intrigue and mystery. I found it hard to put down. Thoroughly recommend it!

Ties that Bind
Ties that Bind

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Ties that Bind (Kindle Edition)
A really well crafted novel. The characters are believable, the story unfolds in unpredictable ways and the dialogue is really well written. I couldn't put it down!

Page: 1 | 2