Profile for Nicola in South Yorkshire > Reviews

Content by Nicola in Sout...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 988

Nicola in South Yorkshire "nicola_in_southyorks" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A God in Ruins
A God in Ruins

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a struggle, 21 May 2015
This review is from: A God in Ruins (Kindle Edition)
This is a tough book to review. With parts that are absolutely fantastic it seems unfair to only give it 3 stars, but I did find it a bit of a struggle overall. Having loved Life After Life I was so looking forward to reading Teddy's story, but A God in Ruins wasn't quite as engaging as I was expecting it to be.

We meet Teddy Todd at various points in his life, and the book is not in chronological order. I actually like the way it was written, out of order. It's a clever plot device as the story unfolds in a very gradual way, almost drip-feeding the reader. I think I just found parts of it all very wordy and trying to be overly intellectual, for want of a better description. I'm glad I read it and it has an interesting ending, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Igenix DF1210 Portable 3-Speed Fan with Tilt Action/Quiet Operation and Mesh Safety Grill, 12-Inch, 35 W, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fan, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This fan comes in parts which are easy to fix together. Then you plug it in and off you go - simples! The fan oscillates and tilts up and down, although it doesn't tilt a huge amount so would be no good if you wanted to put it on the floor and it reach you sat at a desk. But that's not what it's meant for anyway.

There are four buttons on the fan: off, L, M and H. It's reasonably powerful and has a low hum - it vibrates slightly but not enough to keep you awake at night.

One really big plus point is the two year guarantee. It's a good fan, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The Cake Shop in the Garden
The Cake Shop in the Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 17 May 2015
Fay Merryweather runs Fay's Cakes from her family home by the canal in Milton Keynes. She also sells cakes from her late father's beloved narrowboat, The Maid of Merryweather. Ably helped by her rude and abrupt, but fiercely loyal, Latvian assistant, Lija, she also looks after her mother, who just won't get out of bed. Fay is basically a doormat but a lovely one, in a relationship with the very steady, Anthony. That is, until the gorgeous Danny Wilde glides up on his narrowboat and rocks Fay's world.

This is the first Carole Matthews book I have read in a long time but the title of this book made me want to read it so much and I absolutely loved it. It's certainly made me want to read another by this author. Fay is a lovely character and I wanted to shake her when she was letting people walk all over her. And I can certainly understand what she saw in the young and handsome Danny. Probably my favourite character was Lija, I just loved her attitude.

This book made me smile and also feel the injustice of Fay's life. And who could resist such a wonderful setting. I found myself imagining the tables and chairs by the canal with gorgeous cakes on them. Fabulous book - couldn't put it down.

The Lie
The Lie

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller, 13 May 2015
This review is from: The Lie (Kindle Edition)
This is a book of two intermingled stories. There is the present day, in which Jane Hughes works in an animal sanctuary, lives in a little cottage and has a boyfriend. She's living a happy enough life but there is still the shadow of the other story, the one 5 years ago in which Jane and her three friends went on holiday to Nepal and ended up having a nightmare time.

I found the story of Nepal interesting and quite disturbing, but I preferred the present day story in which Jane finds herself scared for her life. I enjoyed how the whole story unfolded and think it was done well by the author, without revealing too much all at once and leaving me wanting to read on to find out what happened in Nepal and what will happen to Jane now. It's not a scary book in the traditional sense, but it did leave me feeling aware of how easily life can go off course.

On balance, I don't think I enjoyed this one quite as much as The Accident, but it's close enough. C.L. Taylor is a really great writer and I hope she's writing a third book.

A Room Swept White: Culver Valley Crime Book 5
A Room Swept White: Culver Valley Crime Book 5

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 May 2015
I enjoyed the first three of the Culver Valley series (Little Face, Hurting Distance and The Point of Rescue) and was less impressed with number four, The Other Half Lives. But Sophie Hannah's storylines are always so interesting that I really want to read another one and so I found myself picking up A Room Swept White. I'm afraid I was disappointed.

Despite an intriguing story about mothers accused of killing their children and a TV producer who finds herself thrown in at the deep end of a documentary about them, together with mysterious cards with numbers on them being found here, there and everywhere, this book failed to draw me in. Police officers Zailer and Waterhouse are just plain irritating and confusing this time round and Zailer's recent past is referred to quite a bit but the author failed to give any reminder as to what happened to her (whatever it was happened in The Other Half Lives and I can't remember now).

I'm afraid I was just glad to get to the end of this book. There were parts that I thought were good and some the opposite, but too mixed for it to score any higher for me. However, I have to say that I will probably read the rest in the series because they appeal to me so much.

The Third Wife
The Third Wife

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 5 May 2015
This review is from: The Third Wife (Kindle Edition)
This is an unusual book and it's hard to say exactly what it's about but basically Adrian is on his third wife, Maya. Universally liked by everybody, Adrian left one wife for another, and that one for Maya and yet still his fractured families are all on the best of terms.....or are they?

I found this to be a great read, with a storyline that just bounded along. There's a mystery to be solved regarding Maya which could have gone any way but the main crux of the story is family life and all its complications.

I like Lisa Jewell as an author and have enjoyed everything I have read by her. This is another great read with a cast of very interesting characters.

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (A Puffin Book)
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (A Puffin Book)

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless book, 3 May 2015
I remember reading this book at school and so when I needed a book to fulfil the challenge of "a book from my childhood" I thought this seemed a perfect choice. I didn't remember anything about the story so approached it anew and I loved it. Mrs Frisby is a widowed mouse who has four children to care for. When the weather is about to change and she needs to move house with a sick child who shouldn't be moved, she turns for help to the rats that she sees going into the rosebush near where she lives. The rats have a very interesting tale to tell her about their life and also about her late husband, Jonathan.

This is a superb book that is timeless and I really loved it. There aren't many children's' books that I enjoy as an adult but this is definitely one of them. I raced through it and would recommend it to kids and adults alike.

Don't Turn Around: A dark, thrilling, page-turner of a crime novel (Detective Jennifer Knight Crime Thriller Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start to a new series, 30 April 2015
This is a bit of a change from the normal crime books as it features a paranormal element to it. DC Jennifer Knight has ended up working at Haven Police Station. Haven is a bit of a sleepy town but then a series of what Jennifer believes are copycat killings take place. The original killings were carried out by a killer known as The Grim Reaper 20 years earlier.

This is a good read, and I think the paranormal side of the story does work, even if I had to suspend belief a little. I liked Jennifer as a character and can see her developing a lot more in future books. I couldn't see how the book could come to a decent conclusion but then it was very well set up for the next one featuring this detective. I enjoyed the writing style and the relationships between the characters. I didn't find it as chilling as some other readers but I don't in general find myself scared by books. If I was then I think this one would have scared me more than most. A good start to a new series.

Wildflower Hill
Wildflower Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 27 April 2015
This review is from: Wildflower Hill (Kindle Edition)
This is a real saga of a book (over 500 pages) telling the story of Beattie Blaxland. Her tale is a bit of a rags to riches one and the major part of this book focuses on the rags bit and how she came to have a farm called Wildflower Hill in Tasmania. In amongst this is the story of her granddaughter, Emma, a prima ballerina. As Emma deals with a big blow in her life, she ends up finding out more about her grandmother's early life.

I liked this book and found it to be a really easy read, although I didn't like it quite as much as Kimberley Freeman's second book, Lighthouse Bay. Beattie's parts of the story were much more engaging than Emma's but that may have been because those bits formed the majority of the book. Beattie herself was a strong heroine and I liked her a lot and rooted for her all the way through. A very enjoyable tale.

Air Wick Freshmatic Max Automatic Spray Refill Colours of Nature Purple Lavender Meadow 250 ml (Pack of 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 26 April 2015
Pleasant smell, if not the best of them all. It grew on me though and it keeps our kitchen and hallway smelling nice. This is a great value set of 8 which will last for ages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20