Profile for ian mansfield > Reviews

Content by ian mansfield

ian mansfield (Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom)

Elf
Elf

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward, honest Rock 'n' Roll, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: Elf (Audio CD)
I bought this after acquiring the other two Elf albums on one CD. This being the first, I expected it to be a tentative first effort, so was pleasantly surprised to find it heavier than the later two Elf albums, albeit quite formulaic in its song writing approach. The boogie-woogie piano is there but the album is more guitar oriented than the latter two albums, and better for it! The production from Ian Paice and Roger Glover is excellent and brings out the skills of all players equally. For Dio fans, this is closer to his later work with Rainbow/Black Sabbath/Dio than the later Elf albums, for guitar players it's a good album to play along to!

The Collection
The Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic late 60's rock, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
If you like 'Born to be wild' and 'Magic carpet ride' there's a strong chance you'll like most of this album. There are a few forgettable songs but as a summation of this fairly influential band from the late 60's this is very well put together.

Carolina County Ball
Carolina County Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Rainbow flavoured Lynyrd Skynyrd, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Carolina County Ball (Audio CD)
The reviews I've seen on amazon that describe it as 'boogie-woogie' piano based rock are true - this is very reminiscent of early Lynyrd Skynyrd for me (not a bad thing - I love them!). I find the 'Carolina County Ball' album to be the more melodic of the two, with 'Trying to burn the sun' the more heavy rocking album. Recorded and released in the same year as Rainbow's first album, you can hear some influences crossing over into 'Trying to burn the sun', and indeed since the band is essentially Rainbow minus Ritchie Blackmore the playing styles are very similar.
I think both albums are great - amazing to think that one of the greatest heavy metal singers of the last 30 years started out here! Metalheads beware - you won't find any references to devils, demons or vicars being dumped in the nearest pond here - these albums are more like the early Rainbow albums that Ronnie sang on.

The Best of Guess Who
The Best of Guess Who

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic hippy blues rock, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Best of Guess Who (Audio CD)
If you like 'American Woman', 'No sugar tonight' and 'No time' (these were the songs that made me buy the album) then you'll like this album. It very much has the flavour of the times in each song here and the comprehensive liner notes put this relatively overlooked band into their deserved perspective - a bit more than a one hit wonder but a band that didn't deal with the 60's to 70's transition successfully.

Dream Evil
Dream Evil
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you with repeated listening, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Dream Evil (Audio CD)
'Dream Evil' is possibly my favourite Dio track from his 80's work. There are classic 80's metal moments here that take me right back - pure nostalgia for 80's metalheads - All the fools sailed away and I could have been a dreamer stand out here. There are some timeless classics as well - Dream Evil and Naked in the Rain wouldn't sound out of place on a 'modern' metal album (probably why they still get played on the radio a lot!). Not his best work in my opinion but well worth owning if you're a Dio fan.

Master Of The Moon
Master Of The Moon
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic 80's heavy metal with a modern twist, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Master Of The Moon (Audio CD)
I bought this on a whim whilst looking for some old Dio stuff on amazon and was pleasantly surprised by how catchy it is. It's like all the best bits of 80's Dio put together on one album with some modern production giving it a very polished feel. Hard to pick a stand-out track but 'Shivers' is classic Dio with his trademark cleverly worded lyrics. If you like any of Dio's heavy stuff buy this, you'll love it! RIP RJD you are missed by many...

Aerial
Aerial
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars I've waited 20 years for this!, 12 Nov 2005
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
I've waited 20 years for the her to produce the equivalent of my favourite album of all time (Hounds of Love) and finally she's done it. This is the best new CD to grace my music system in years.
I think one of the problems with 'The Sensual World' and 'The Red Shoes' was that, good as they are, she tried to put too much into some of the songs - with the result that, in my opinion, the albums sounded too experimental. This maybe isn't so true of 'The Sensual World', but she had lost some of the atmospheric piano and dreamy background vocals that were so evident on 'Never for Ever', 'The Dreaming' and 'Hounds of Love'.
Well, thank god they're back. On the first playing I couldn't tear myself away from this album. 'A Coral Room' was particularly heart rending and brought a tear to my eye. I agree with some other reviewers here as well - 'Nocturn' and 'Aerial' are particularly brilliant but I would add 'Sunset' to their ranks as well as the aforementioned 'A Coral Room' as being the outstanding tracks here. Welcome back, Kate, forget about album of the year, to my ears you've made album of the decade!