Profile for NotBob > Reviews

Content by NotBob

NotBob "Mum of 3 boys" (West Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Lost Gospel Q: The Original Sayings of Jesus
The Lost Gospel Q: The Original Sayings of Jesus
by Marcus J. Borg

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh look at Jesus without the theological overlay., 20 Jun. 2013
This short book gives the text of the additional material used by Matthew and Luke to include more of the teachings of Jesus as they rework the text of Mark to produce their own, longer writings. It is thought that this source circulated independently before being lost as a separate collection of teachings. This text has been derived by subtraction and deduction from the three synoptic gospels. It makes very interesting reading and gives a fresh portrait of Jesus without narrative and theological overlay added by each of the gospel authors. Highly recommended.

God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer
by Bart D. Ehrman

5.0 out of 5 stars Different views of suffering in The Bible, 20 Jun. 2013
Slightly sensational title but very good, thought-provoking content detailing the different reasons given by various biblical authors for why there is suffering in the world. The author does not force a single view but gives a clear summary of each "theory" and asks the important question : what must we do to respond to the suffering in our world today. I enjoyed this book very much and recommend it highly.

Heritage Womens Sterling Silver Mackintosh Open Rose Heart Necklace, 91F5HP 18"
Heritage Womens Sterling Silver Mackintosh Open Rose Heart Necklace, 91F5HP 18"

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty heart pendant., 1 Oct. 2012
Very attractive item. One small reservation is that it is rounded on front and flat on reverse so you you need to be careful to put it on the right way round.

Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography
Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography
by John Dominic Crossan

5.0 out of 5 stars A brave, honest and beautifully perceptive book., 2 Aug. 2012
I have read so many interesting but unsatisfysing and some downright puzzling recontructions of the historical Jesus. At last I have found a book by someone who really understands how to read the documents and is able to explain lucidly how they come to include so many competitive pictures of who Jesus was, what he did and said, and what his life means to us today. It is quite simply the most perceptive book on this subject I have read (and I have read a lot of books about the historical Jesus).

I feel freed to believe that what happened in Galilee and Jerusalem two milenia ago was both much simpler than some would want us to accept but was also still of incalculable importance. I will not try to summarize the whole thesis of the book. Just read it (please).

Discovering London Illustrated Map
Discovering London Illustrated Map
by Collins Maps
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant tourist map of London, 29 Jun. 2012
This is just what you need for a trip to Central London. It is a good, large scale with keys for theatres, monuments and museums etc. The area covered is Maida Vale and Bloomsbury in the North, Earls Court and Pimlico in South, Holland Park in West and Tower Bridge in East. There are illustrations of key monuments. Tube stations are marked on the main map. The Tube map provided is a bit small for my bad eyesight. Shop/restaurant map for key streets very useful. Great purchase, highly recommended.

Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
by Richard Rohr

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Beautiful Book, 20 Mar. 2012
I can not recommend this book highly enough. It has helped me to understand some of the things that have happened in my life and, I believe, it has shown me a good way forward.

I am not sure it is really intended for people in "the first half of life" who are busy building an identity for themselves but it is absolutely wonderful for someone, like me, who is trying to understand what caused a mid-life crisis. It would have been better, of course, if I had read the book first, but the book seems to suggest that we often need to stumble before we pay attention to the issues of "the second half of life". This is a very wise book.

I feel so positive now and will definitely read more Richard Rohr.

Page: 1 | 2